WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dreams on the Trail

I had a dream last night (at home) that prompted me to start this thread.

Does anyone else here tend to have zanier and more vivid dreams when they are out in the backcountry. I have noticed that while I'm in my tent while backpacking, I tend to have lots of short crazy little dreams. Is there anyone else that this happens to? My hiking partner Mark told me the same thing usually happens to him. Maybe it's the fresh air.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

yup. increased exercise

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

zainy yes but i never remember the details of the dreams just that they are more weird than usual.... they usually are more bizarre when i am alone then when out with someone...that is what i was thinking on my last solo trip

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[quote=MOWGLI;517557]
    Does anyone else here tend to have zanier and more vivid dreams when they are out in the backcountry.

====================================

Yeah, I do. I've always thought it was the different sights and sounds than I am used to at home.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

OK, now for last nights CRAZY dream. My wife woke me last night and told me the power had gone out with the storm. We each have clock radios on our nightstands. Hers was blinking. She asked me to look at mine - because a stack of books was blocking her view. Mine (a Bose Wave Radio) wasn't blinking. It was 4 AM.

I went back to sleep. I then had a dream that went like this;

My cell phone was ringing, so I answered it. Here's the conversation that ensued;

Female voice: "Yes, Sir."
    Me: "Excuse me"
    Me: "Excuse me. Who is this."
    Female voice: "You called last night and informed me you had a power outage and needed a wake-up call. It's 5 AM. This is your wake-up call."

With that, I woke up, sat up, and looked at my clock radio. It was EXACTLY 5:00 AM.

Talk about spooky!

I had a waking dream once on the Fundy Footpath. Don't know what part of it was real and what was not. Part of it was the sound of the wing beats of a large bird of prey flying close overheard and across the other side of the creek I was camped at. I'm fairly sure that part was real. The second part was the heavy breathing and sniffing of bear. I'm fairly sure that part wasn't real, but you never know. It took me a few minutes to shake myself fully awake. Usually I snap awake pretty quick, but sometimes with these waking dreams I wake up when I'm still asleep, and so it takes awhile. I'm fairly sure if it was a real bear I would wake up pretty damn quick.

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    OK, now for last nights CRAZY dream. My wife woke me last night and told me the power had gone out with the storm. We each have clock radios on our nightstands. Hers was blinking. She asked me to look at mine - because a stack of books was blocking her view. Mine (a Bose Wave Radio) wasn't blinking. It was 4 AM.

I went back to sleep. I then had a dream that went like this;

My cell phone was ringing, so I answered it. Here's the conversation that ensued;

Me: "Excuse me"
    Me: "Excuse me. Who is this."
    Female voice: "You called last night and informed me you had a power outage and needed a wake-up call. It's 5 AM. This is your wake-up call."

With that, I woke up, sat up, and looked at my clock radio. It was EXACTLY 5:00 AM.

Talk about spooky!
    Did you have mushrooms in your spaghetti sauce that night??

The only one I really remember is a repetitive dream I had while
    aqua-blazing.

Every single night I had a dream that the tent was floating down the river and I was scrambling around at the edges trying to keep water from getting in. A couple of times I woke up on my hands and knees at the entrance to the tent. I was sad the aqua was over but happy the dream was gone
    2005 "No Legs" Springer to Clingman's
    2007 SloFar/DrClaw - GA-NJ

I had this dream
    Where I relished
    The fray
    And the screaming filled my head all day

It was as though
    I'd been spit here
    Settled in
    Into the pocket
    Of a lighthouse on some rocky socket
    Off the coast of France
    Dear

One afternoon
    Four thousand men
    Died in the water
    Here
    And five hundred more were thrashing madly
    As parasites might
    In your blood

I was in a life boat
    Designed for ten and ten only
    Anything
    That systematic
    Could get you hated
    It's not a deal nor a test nor a love of something fated

The selection was quick
    The crew was picked
    In order
    And those left in the water
    Got kicked off our pant legs
    And we headed for home

Any way
    Susan
    If you like
    Our conversation
    It's as faint a sound
    In my memory
    As your fingernails
    Scratching on my hull

-Gordon Downie-

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Did you have mushrooms in your spaghetti sauce that night??
    No, but I once met three different people in the same week who all told me similar stories about eating the local mushrooms and then climbing to the top of a Mayan temple in Palenque, Mexico. Context: At the time, I was planning a trip to Chiapas, so I was asking around about the region.

True story.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[quote=MOWGLI;517618]No, but I once met three different people in the same week who all told me similar stories about eating the local mushrooms and then climbing to the top of a Mayan temple in Palenque, Mexico.
    =============================

There's a market for mushrooms like that !!

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

i was going to mention that MOWG and JAK should stop mushroom hunting from cow dung while hiking..... they do that is the book of Ezekiel....makes people thing the see things flying saucers in the sky

Quote Originally Posted by Freeleo View Post
    makes people thing the see things flying saucers in the sky
    That's easy for you to say.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    I had a dream last night (at home) that prompted me to start this thread.

Does anyone else here tend to have zanier and more vivid dreams when they are out in the backcountry. I have noticed that while I'm in my tent while backpacking, I tend to have lots of short crazy little dreams. Is there anyone else that this happens to? My hiking partner Mark told me the same thing usually happens to him. Maybe it's the fresh air.
    I tend to think this has to do with the fact that I don't get a real deep sleep in the backcountry, therefore I'm more aware of my dreams.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

My dreams were much more vivid on the trail. The one I recall is following white blazes through this huge museum (like a Smithsonian-type museum in DC).

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I tend to have more vivid dreams, and remember them better, during my more restful sleeps at home. My dreams while backpacking are vivid and memorable, so I assume my sleep is more restful - maybe the fresh air and exercise?

One night I was camping in Jarrard Gap. I half awoke to the sound of a helicopter echoing off the mountains. I assume it was the Army. Anyway, I spent the rest of the night dreaming about being kidnapped by aliens.

Oh Yeah! Melatonin, Mushrooms, Wilderness, and Big Time Dreams!

SGT Rock's had some crazy dreams described in his trail journal...

Images

I've had dreams come true in the past so I think I have subconciously made myself forget my dreams. I haven't remembered a dream in years. Suits me just fine......
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

I have the best dreams while hiking.

Sometimes some of them are off the charts odd, but still usualyl very vibrant and realistic.

In 1998, most of my dreams in GA/NC/TN revolved aroung a grey wolf that seemed to be leading/following me, but only in my dreams, and after I hit Damascus they stopped.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++