WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default sleeping bag recommendation for bama

Hi all,

I'm new to backpacking and just getting ideas for acquiring my gear and among the big 3 gear items, the sleeping bag is just killing my budget. I'm looking for a sleeping bag recommendation for use on the alabama trails. I'm most likely going to limit myself to the milder temps of spring/fall and summer when it's not insufferable. I don't think, for a while at least, that I will brave any extreme cold nights. Don't like the cold :-)

So with that in mind, what should I look for in a degree rating? 30 degree or even 40 degree? What do you guys think? And also, if you've got some suggestions for a solid, quality bag...but also a *budget* bag, I'd love to here some ideas. Most of the bag prices i've looked at so far are outrageous! (ala western mountaineering and such).

Thanks for any suggestions.

might be a little hot but they do have cooler one there but here is a link

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...uctId=39174751
    Cavedive2

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"

I am still figuring out the best cheap light system for our summer. I'm thinking quilt integrated with blue foam pad. Possible something as simple as:
    1. Blue foam pad
    2. Wool blanket/cape
    3. Nylon wind barrier over blanket and tucked under pad.
    4. Poncho/tarp

Quote Originally Posted by cavedive2 View Post
    might be a little hot but they do have cooler one there but here is a link

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...uctId=39174751
    Definitely budget but wow heavy. I guess you pay a premium for lightweight. Any other suggestions that are a little lighter?

Through REI.com (click on REI-Outlet):

Kelty Taku +15 (synthetic, 3 lbs., 5 oz.) -- $89.93

Mountain Hardwear Lamina +32 (synthetic, 2 lbs., 10 oz.) -- $83.93

Through sierratradingpost.com:

Sierra Designs Osage +35 (down, 2 lbs., 8 oz.) -- $99.95

Didn't know exactly what you meant by "budget," or just how cold you wanted to go (I'm assuming you want to avoid overnight lows that get to freezing), or whether you prefer synthetic or down, or what you meant by "too heavy" so I included a variety, all for under $100. They are all men's size regular (not for folks over 6 feet), but there were even a couple better closeout deals at REI if you needed a "long" size. Can't personally vouch for any of these, but all three companies have decent reputations. If you want to roll the dice on some REALLY cheap stuff from some obscure brands, you can find them at these sites too. And once you find a brand and model you can enter them at shop.com or shopzilla.com to see if you can get a bag even cheaper yet from some other discount source.

I've vowed not to spend any money on gear before this next hiking season, because I really have what I need, but that shouldn't deprive me of the vicarious pleasure of shopping for others.
    Last edited by map man; 01-30-2008 at 23:42.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    Through REI.com (click on REI-Outlet):

Through sierratradingpost.com:

Sierra Designs Osage +35 (down, 2 lbs., 8 oz.) -- $99.95
    Anyone know about this bag here? What do you guys think. I am too looking for a decent, mid-april thru mid-October bag for northeast Georgia/SW NC/NW SC hikes. That is just a bit more than I wanted to spend, but down for $100, I might go down that road.

Can't wait to see what you guys think!!

++ New Posts ++