WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Angry Is this new? No weights given for REI items?

Is this a new development? I received a REI gift card for Christmas and would like to purchase something online. They do not include any weights for much of their clothing! At least for base layers and convertible pants, two of the items I'm interested in. I find this unbelievable, how do they expect serious backpackers to make a choice?

A big for REI!!!!!

weenie comes to mind

Trail Name: Mangy Mo
    San Diego, Colorado Springs, Falls Church

REI actually does an excellent job of doing weight comparison charts for much of the gear they sell including outer layer clothing. They happen not to do it for base layers or convertable pants for some reason, and I wish they would as that would have been some extra info for me to look at since I've purchased something in both categories recently...

But I wouldn't give a thumbs down. I find it pleasantly unbelievable that they go through the trouble to provide as much info as they do. Many outfitters don't provide anything at all in terms of weight info, they don't bother providing comparison charts of any gear they sell, and in some cases they don't even have folks in the store who have knowledge of the products they're selling. Certainly there are other good outfitters... but REI stands out as being one of the best (or even the best) in my opinion.

Also, if you want to know the weight... Order the item you're interested in online and have it sent to the REI store nearest you (if there's one reasonably near you at least).... The shipping is free. Show up at the store with your scale, and they'd be happy to let you weigh it... if you don't like the weight, then return it on the spot, no harm done.

Images

Nearest store is an hour and a half drive each way. Not an option as far as I'm concerned.

Images

You take your chances then. EMS, LL Bean, and Cabela's don't give weights either. The biggest problem for me is when a retailer gives a clothing weight, but doesn't tell you the size. Is it a medium or large or what?

Of course the real question is, do you need the clothing? If so, order it. If not, don't sweat it. I would be more concerned about how well it fit than the ounce or two of weight fluctuation from one brand to another.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    You take your chances then. EMS, LL Bean, and Cabela's don't give weights either.
    LL Bean frequently can tell you the weight if you call. They think you're a little nuts for asking which shows few serious hikers order from them.

Their wool hiking socks last longer than Smartwools, are as comfortable, and are much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    LL Bean frequently can tell you the weight if you call. They think you're a little nuts for asking which shows few serious hikers order from them.

Their wool hiking socks last longer than Smartwools, are as comfortable, and are much cheaper.
    Yeah, so what? How much do they weigh?

Images

I have a pretty good guess of what's going on here. REI still has the same weight info available on their website that they always had. Thing is, it used to appear when you loaded the page. Now you have to click on a gray "Specs" tab. The original poster may have missed this

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    Yeah, so what? How much do they weigh?
    Hmm, I never asked, and never weighed them. Really haven't seen too much discussion on the weight of socks, but it would be a good place to cut weight if you're carrying two extra pairs. I guess most ultra-lighters don't carry spare socks.

++ New Posts ++