WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default REI shipping problems

3 times in the past two months I've made online purchases from REI.com. I've ordered multiple items each purchase and each time they-

1. Sent my items in separate shipments. I understand with iso canisters. I don't know the laws about shipping fuel but I could see why they might ship those separately.

2. The separate shipments arrived on different days as much as 9 days apart even though they were from the same address.

3. They use both the U.S.P.S. and U.P.S on said separate shipments which probably caused problem 2.

Even when I'd order two of the same freakin' thing, they'd send them in two different boxes with two different shippers which of course showed up on different days

4. They'd take 2 days to even pack my order and send it out from the time of purchase.

Are these their standard practices? If they are, I'm never buying from them again.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

In my experience, if you need something fast, REI.com isn't the best place to order from unless you choose overnight shipping and call ahead to make sure your item(s) are in stock. That said, I've never had a problem with getting the items I ordered in separate shipments. Usually, my order is in hand within 5 days or so. If I need something fairly quick, I go with Campmor if my local outfitter doesn't have it.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Order from Campmor if you want it fast. They're amazing.

yeah. Campmor is lot better than REI

Images

Moosejaw provides pretty quick service, too, but is a little pricey for my budget. I order from them pretty much only as a last resort.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Another vote for Campmor for on-line / mail order gear - REI is slow getting things out of the warehouse and, as you note, often ships from different locations.

Campmor it is!

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by zoidfu2 View Post
    3 times in the past two months I've made online purchases from REI.com. I've ordered multiple items each purchase and each time they-

1. Sent my items in separate shipments. I understand with iso canisters. I don't know the laws about shipping fuel but I could see why they might ship those separately.

2. The separate shipments arrived on different days as much as 9 days apart even though they were from the same address.

3. They use both the U.S.P.S. and U.P.S on said separate shipments which probably caused problem 2.

Even when I'd order two of the same freakin' thing, they'd send them in two different boxes with two different shippers which of course showed up on different days

4. They'd take 2 days to even pack my order and send it out from the time of purchase.

Are these their standard practices? If they are, I'm never buying from them again.
    ==============================================

Might be the specific items ??? Might be your location ??? ...dunno, but I ordered a lot of stuff as gifts and for personal use going into Xmas and got it all - same shipment - no delays. I just ordered an item (windpro fleece glove-mitts) and got them 4 - 5 days later.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Order from Campmor if you want it fast. They're amazing.
    REI is a great store with shipping that SUX!!!! We love Campmor. Awesome shipping. Sierra Trading Post isn't bad either. You have to order from REI 2 weeks before you want something.
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Images

I'm looking forward to my move to Charlotte this spring. REI will be just a few minutes away and I can have anything I order online delivered to the store for free! Gotta love that, as long as you order far enough ahead of time.

If you don't have an REI close to you, then you are better off ordering from someone else. Campmor is the best, I think. EMS, Alltrec, Sierra are good, but not as fast as Campmor. If you live in the East, then Campmor is the way to order.
    You can't fix stupid....

Images

I would wager the reason you got stuff on such different dates is the standup of the east coast distribution center. It's only been up for 3 or months and won't be in full swing until late this summer. I would wager the first shipment was stuff from the new Pennsylvania DC. The much later shipment was likely from the Washington state DC. (Why? Because the PA DC isn't in full operation and didn't have all your items.) This time of year, getting stuff over the mountain passes in the Cascades and Rockies can be tricky, so I'm not surprised it would take an extra nine days. By this summer, you should have very quick service.

Will it be any quicker than stuff from Campmor next door in Jersey? Depends on which part of the state you're in. I would look for who has the best deal before ordering. Often, that means Campmor even with your 10% return for REI items. Just keep both in mind.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    ==============================================

Might be the specific items ??? Might be your location ??? ...dunno, but I ordered a lot of stuff as gifts and for personal use going into Xmas and got it all - same shipment - no delays. I just ordered an item (windpro fleece glove-mitts) and got them 4 - 5 days later.

'Slogger
    Clothing for my girlfriend, headlamps, balaclavas, those pink nalgenes she had to have, a down jacket... stuff like that. I don't know why they would have to do what they did. I'm glad one of us had a good experience.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Wow ...so many unhappy REI on-line customers !! Guess my experience is unique.

I've ordered on-line from Campmor, EMS, MEC and REI and have had excellent experience with all of them.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I've ordered on-line from Campmor, EMS, MEC and REI and have had excellent experience with all of them.

'Slogger
    Do you think I could have my stuff sent to you and have you forward it to me? You've got the magic mailbox, apparently.

Images

'Slogger
    Footslogger, for you in Wyoming, all your stuff came from Washington. Most of the folks here on WB tend to be east coast and it means longer shipping from Washington PLUS some growing pains while the Pennsylvania DC gets into full swing growth.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    I'm looking forward to my move to Charlotte this spring. REI will be just a few minutes away and I can have anything I order online delivered to the store for free! Gotta love that, as long as you order far enough ahead of time.
    True, free is nice, but it takes weeks. I ordered a pair of Leki's from the outlet, and it took a long time for them to come in. But, it is free.
    You can't fix stupid....

Images

I agree about Campmor. I am about a 2 hour drive from the store and about a 1 hour drivefrom REI Conshohocken. I prefer Campmor - In fact i usually order something and have it next day - all for $6.

With REI, it has to come out of Kent, WA or wherever and I know if I order Ground, my order won't even get fulfilled for a day or two as the stockpickers are busy fulfilling eveybody who didn't order by the cheapest slow boat to china. (No offense to Chinese hikers ).

So if I really need something from REI, I have it shipped to the store and then drive the diesel down (48 MPG) to pick it up. Even then it takes over a week to get it into the store. What I really like about REI is their return policy. Otherwise I will stick to Campmor for almost everything.

~~~~~~Most important thought for a catalogue marketer~~~~~~
    I also like that campmor doesn't dazzle you with the glitzy "LL Bean-like" catalog. Gimme a small catalogue I can stuff into my pocket and take to the john with me and I am apt to buy more stuff from you!!!!!!
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

'Slogger
    Never ordered from EMS, but have never really found anyhting there to fload my boat. Anyone had any experiences with Campsaver? They seem to have good prices, but was wondering about shipping/customer service.

Images

Default Problems........

Quote Originally Posted by zoidfu2 View Post

I always went into the stores when I lived near them but now the nearest one is 3 hours away so I went on-line and ordered 2 things. I got an email telling me my credit card wasn't valid and to call them. Before I could call, they called me and told me that my bank Visa debit card was not valid because the billing address I gave them did not match the billing address the bank had. I was livid because that card had had the correct address for MONTHS and I'd done ALL of my Christmas shopping on-line with several different merchants - not to mention my Amazon and Paypal accounts. No one had refused my card. They had me talk to someone in "loss prevention" (criminal fraud) who said I had to GO to my bank and clear it up. I went and my bank had no idea what they were talking about, so the person there just deleted my ACCURATE address, and re-entered it. Nothing changed about it and suddenly REI said it was fine.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++