WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

We buy our pricier stuff for our outfitter in Waynesboro- Rockfish Gap Outfiters. Great guys who care about hikers. I bought my Gregory pack from them and the waist buckle had broken. He took a belt off their floor model and gave it to me so I didn't need the hassle of a return. But they will also do manufacturer warranty as well. If you go there, they have the news article of our hike up in the store.

But for online stuff, I like Campmor, Sierra Trading Post (just got Teva shoes from them), Backcountry.com and Runners Warehouse (for my Brooks trail runners). All great places with great return policies (though I think Campmor is still one year). As least for REI it has a good return policy.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

No local outfitters that have hiking gear so it's online ordering only and Campmor is generaly the best I've found in both pricing and speed of shipping.

I do feel compelled to note that the OP (do I know you, by the way??) would have to pass http://wildwarebackcountry.com/ going from Middletown to the Peters Mountain Shelter - it's pretty hard to miss seeing their store next to I-83 on the east side of Harrisburg although a little harder to figure out how to actually drive there getting off I-83.

Or maybe parcel delivery is just better on my side of Allen Mountain. (Actually, we're on top, not much further from downtown Middletown than from downtown Hummelstown...)

Images

Wouldn't waste my time at my local outfitter in Allentown PA. Always MSRP, Low selections, No sales unless closeouts or crap that no one wants.

Outdated maps and guidebooks that when you return the next day and explain that what you just paid full price for is teh old revision from 1997 and ask for the 2003 revision and they question you of motive like copying the book or map and then returning it.

Nope, I'd rather keep spending my money at Campmor - A place that ::gasp:: trusts people.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    I do feel compelled to note that the OP (do I know you, by the way??) would have to pass http://wildwarebackcountry.com/ going from Middletown to the Peters Mountain Shelter - it's pretty hard to miss seeing their store next to I-83 on the east side of Harrisburg although a little harder to figure out how to actually drive there getting off I-83.

Or maybe parcel delivery is just better on my side of Allen Mountain. (Actually, we're on top, not much further from downtown Middletown than from downtown Hummelstown...)
    I've had... problems with Wildware. Their "salesmen" don't seem to know what they're talking about especially as far as hammocks are concerned. I've always found their prices to be amazingly high and their selection to be a joke. I honestly don't know how the place stays in business.

I probably don't know you as I've been hiking with the same group of friends for years now. We're always looking for more people, though.

That said, I dig their Save Stony Creek bus

I have been an REI member for 24 years and on average order twice a year from them and I can't recall ever having an unusual delay. Actually, up here in Vt now I order with standard USPO shipping and 90% of the time the item will arrive in two days. I guess that either I have been just plain lucky (like in 30+ years never having an airline lose my baggage) or that shipping to certain destinations just has more efficient routing. I have also found REIs customer service via phone to be pretty good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidfu2 View Post
    I probably don't know you as I've been hiking with the same group of friends for years now. We're always looking for more people, though.
    This group is always looking for more people too: http://www.satc-hike.org/ but they don't backpack so it would be nice to have others to head out with.

And if WW doesn't even have a pink Nalgene maybe it is time for a real REI store in Hbg. I think we can barely squeak into these requirements: http://www.rei.com/aboutrei/realestate.jsp

Dunno if you head north much, but Paintbrush and Blue Heron thru-hike class of '02 own this place: http://www.wildasaphoutfitters.com/ and they walk the talk as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    This group is always looking for more people too: http://www.satc-hike.org/ but they don't backpack so it would be nice to have others to head out with.

And if WW doesn't even have a pink Nalgene maybe it is time for a real REI store in Hbg. I think we can barely squeak into these requirements: http://www.rei.com/aboutrei/realestate.jsp

Dunno if you head north much, but Paintbrush and Blue Heron thru-hike class of '02 own this place: http://www.wildasaphoutfitters.com/ and they walk the talk as far as I can tell.
    I like how your last link rents out equipment. This immediate area desperately needs something like that.

I just ordered some items from REI this morning. Usually I'd order from Campmor, but they didn't have the deals or items that REI had. I saw this thread again, then decided to call and ask a few questions. Turns out that one item will ship from the PA DC, the other from WA. Both are scheduled to arrive on the same day, about a week from now. Crazy, in this day and age that it takes a week for something to get to another location in the same state.
    I asked if ship to store would be quicker....CS lady told me that the next scheduled delivery from PA DC to Conshohocken store is 2/12!! RIDICULOUS

Quote Originally Posted by DSoTM View Post
    Wouldn't waste my time at my local outfitter in Allentown PA. Always MSRP, Low selections, No sales unless closeouts or crap that no one wants.

Outdated maps and guidebooks that when you return the next day and explain that what you just paid full price for is teh old revision from 1997 and ask for the 2003 revision and they question you of motive like copying the book or map and then returning it.

Nope, I'd rather keep spending my money at Campmor - A place that ::gasp:: trusts people.

Exactly who is your local outfitter? Just to know how "local" you are.

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    Crazy, in this day and age that it takes a week for something to get to another location in the same state.
    Same state? You must be joking. I think Arlen says he's a US Senator from 7 different states.

Since i work at REI in customer service, i see a lot of what goes on with the online orders. One thing that i have noticed is that YES, REI may be slow at these orders, buuutt, that doesn't mean you've got rush shipping. These orders get sent to us on our resupply trucks from our distribution centers. PART of your order may come from PA while the other part from WA, so if we can get you part of your order to you quicker than the other part, were going to send it to you. So that might explain the gaps in the delivery process.

With that said, FREE shipping is free shipping and should you complain about it if you don't have to pay for it? If you do pay for standard shipping, you should expect it in about a week, because you never know where it is coming from, whether from across the country or just a few states away. What i've noticed recently, esp. during the winter, is that a lot of our trucks have been held up by winter storms in the rocky mountains.

One suggestion i may give you all is that if you need a certain product and it has not gotton to the store or to your house on time and you are leaving for some sort of trip, and you are near one of our stores, please give us a call, because we may have what you need in our store( or maybe some other retailer may have it) go GET that product, USE it and just return ours when you have the time, We would rather see you happy and getting outside rather than having a miserable experience at our expense.

Ordered an item from REI Outlet on Wednesday, Jan. 30th. It was delivered by USPS on Friday, Feb. 1st. I did pay for standard shipping.

That said, I'm only about an hour from Bedford, PA -- I guess my order shipped from there.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." (from page 1 of this thread)Thanks for that awesome quote Mrs. Baggins. Any idea who it is by (originally?)

Quote Originally Posted by dmb658 View Post
    .....With that said, FREE shipping is free shipping and should you complain about it if you don't have to pay for it?.....
    Econ 101: There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Yes, the customer always has the right to complain.

BTW... I've never had an bad experience receiving anything from REI.
    Last edited by Tennaseevol; 02-02-2008 at 23:51.

my point is that it is a service we provide and that its better than paying an extra $10

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by oruoja View Post
    I have been an REI member for 24 years and on average order twice a year from them and I can't recall ever having an unusual delay. Actually, up here in Vt now I order with standard USPO shipping and 90% of the time the item will arrive in two days. I guess that either I have been just plain lucky (like in 30+ years never having an airline lose my baggage) or that shipping to certain destinations just has more efficient routing. I have also found REIs customer service via phone to be pretty good as well.

I have been a member for five years and did a lot of clearence web site orders last year, never had a problem picked up everything at the store and reached out to the CS once and they were very helpful.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I ordered something 2/2 and store delivery is estimated for 2/14. I ordered something last month as well and store delivery took 17 days. At least it is free and I have the time to wait.

I noticed on my last order that it came in about 3 shippings. The invoices seemed confusing so I called to make sure everything was in stock. I got everything so that was OK.

I don't mind waiting, esp for free shipping. My rei orders have never been screwed up that I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    Crazy, in this day and age that it takes a week for something to get to another location in the same state.
    Well the item actually got to me yesterday. Thats 3 days. Not bad.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++