WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gravity Filter

Default Gravity Filter

Anyone make their own. I have been looking at the ULA system. Looks pretty nice and simple to use. Any experience with this or a homemade system???

Images

I was going to make or get one, a friend of mine who thru hiked in 06 just bought one last year and we used it on a weekend hike and it worked well. I think the bag was a 1 gallon. If i cant make it i think i will buy one.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kytrailman View Post
    Anyone make their own. I have been looking at the ULA system. Looks pretty nice and simple to use. Any experience with this or a homemade system???
    I started this thread yesterday that may help you in this regard.

Default Thanks Freak

Gracias!

I used the ULA for 10 days on my last hike. Most times I found a tree or bush near the water source to hang the bag. At other times when the source was low on water, I had to scoop water out with a bown and pour it into the bag. The process works well, like a pump, but sometimes it took longer because I could not just dip the bag into a stream because it was just too shallow. A pump can get into a very small water source as into a small puddle. The bag does have to be held up fairly high at least shoulder height for it to work and the water flows best when the bag is full. The filter is the same one that is used in a Hiker Pump.

Thanks Rambler-- I am making my own using a a sawyer inline filter witha homemade sil bag with wide mouth adapter opening- will post pics when done. Thanks for the insight.

I used a seychelle inline filter plumbed into a hose from a camelback (with a shutoff valve) between two 70oz platypuses. One bladder is "dirty" and has holes in the bottom flange with red gutted paracord for a hanging strap. If I need to fill both bladders I use Katydyn tabs in the dirty one.

Knee- what is your total weight of that sytstem??

Images

I just finished a gravity filter using a WalMart dry sack and the filter cartridge from my PUR Hiker. It works great and saved me about 7oz from carrying the PUR Hiker. The directions are on BPL.
    "For those who understand, no explanation is needed; for those who do not, none will do." ---Jerry Lewis

I have seen that before head change. It is an awesome set up. I too used the sack from wal mart , but am using a sawyer in line filter rather than the PUR, and a modified version of the oulet on the bag.The results are very similar. I ran 32 oz. of pond water last night in 1 min 27 sec.

Quote Originally Posted by kytrailman View Post
    Knee- what is your total weight of that sytstem??
    6.7 oz for the camelback tube (it was a LOT lighter than hardware store vinyl) and the filter and fittings, not including the platys, which you have to carry anyway. You'll need two right angle adapters from Platypus for each end of the camelback tubing (the same ones that come with the hydration system, REI sells them).

So many here have bragged on the inline filter from Sawyer, I'd try it first, especially since you can supposedly by it at Walmart now for $27.

You can buy it there and I have tried it. It is as fast and easy amigo/pur set up, only more flexible with its set up.. It is a .01 micron bacteria filter. They also offer a virus/bacteria filter. Check out sawyer online for complete lab results. Exceeds EPA standard of filtration and purification with very little resistance. The price is like 60 bucks on line, around 30 at wal mart. . So what if wal mart sells it cheaper. most outfitters carry it also and sell it for way more. I think I will opt for the cheaper no matter where it comes from.

Images

Man I got ripped off at REI.

That's a great price!
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Man I got ripped off at REI.

That's a great price!
    Me too.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Yeah-- i was looking at the kit and it has some pretty useful parts if you plan on using it in a gravity set up. I noticed the prices were way more on the jsutdrink website. Long live wallyworld.

Images

Walmart sells and inline filter? In the camping section?
    "For those who understand, no explanation is needed; for those who do not, none will do." ---Jerry Lewis

I am just now beginning to experiment with even the thought of gravity filtering. I just bought a Sawyer "Just Drink" filter kit off EBay for about $30. (didn't know Wally world had them) with the bottle and cap and drink tubes and what I guess is the backflush tube. And I ordered a Amigo Pro today.
    There's some great discussion here about this subject including the piece at BPL. I am encouraged.
    I had read to maybe use the Sawyer filter in the Amigo but I have also read that you cannot let that filter freeze. Is this a fact and if so, what do you guys do about that? And, what other problems might I look forward to with gravity filtering?
    Thanks.

Eman- all filters run risk of freezing-- keep it deep in your pack if not using it with the bottle set up. If cold you may wat to use it in-line with a baldder. I made my bag and bought a pinch valve and tubing. I use the tube from my platy on the output end. All water in inside the system at all times and no water than runs down the tube can enter the system. It is totally closed. U got a good deal on the just drink-- it is 39 at wally world. The water quality and flow of this filter have made me a definite fan.

Images

I looked at the Sawyer site about their filters. Which model does WalMart sell?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by EMAN View Post
    I am just now beginning to experiment with even the thought of gravity filtering. I just bought a Sawyer "Just Drink" filter kit off EBay for about $30. (didn't know Wally world had them) with the bottle and cap and drink tubes and what I guess is the backflush tube. And I ordered a Amigo Pro today.
    There's some great discussion here about this subject including the piece at BPL. I am encouraged.
    I had read to maybe use the Sawyer filter in the Amigo but I have also read that you cannot let that filter freeze. Is this a fact and if so, what do you guys do about that? And, what other problems might I look forward to with gravity filtering?
    Thanks.
    The Sawyer that I have actually is two halves that thread into each other. Pretty easy to unscrew and make sure all the water is out so it doesn't freeze.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++