WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red face a little help...

Okay...
    I've got my gear...check!
    Got a starting date...check! April 19th

Problem:
    I'm sitting at home and I'm trying to plan my maildrops and how much food to buy for 165 days.

Any advice? I keep having to stop because I'm getting overwhelmed. My sister is going to dehydrate food for me and mail it to me during the hike. I'm going with freezer bag cooking. I want to split it up half and half (half maildrops/half go to town and purchase). I've only hiked 4 days in the SMNP before now....help!

I need some direction

Have a look at the "Re-Supply" information in the Articles section of this website.

There's lots of info there on how much food to carry for each section of the Trail.

You'll also see that there are lots more places to buy food than you might think; while you might be getting a good deal of food from home, especially if you're into dehydrating, you should be aware that most folks, for all sorts of reasons, prefer to do much of their food shopping while en route, rather than rely on stuff bought or prepered months ahead of time.

Overplanning can work against the experience. Don't be a slave to the process of hiking the trail. Have sis send along food drops as you discover your pace. Much less nerve wracking.
    Have a great hike!!

Images
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

I do tend to over analyze situations...I just finished graduate school this past august so I still have a tendency to analyze and analyze again.

quick question...do you think it would be possible to hike into trail days in damascus, va if I start hiking from the state park on april 19? I do realize that I could just hitch a ride from wherever I am and then go to trail days and just hitch a ride back to where I was before BUT I was just curious if it could be feasible.

Depends on your pace. Don't be a schedule slave on the trail either. Enjoy and let it unfurl before you.

Thank you so much Jack, warraghiyagey, and skids for the information. I can't wait for April 19th to get here!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by corialice81 View Post
    I do tend to over analyze situations...I just finished graduate school this past august so I still have a tendency to analyze and analyze again.

quick question...do you think it would be possible to hike into trail days in damascus, va if I start hiking from the state park on april 19? I do realize that I could just hitch a ride from wherever I am and then go to trail days and just hitch a ride back to where I was before BUT I was just curious if it could be feasible.
    It starts on May 16th of this year, so that would give you like 27 days. Not likely, though possible. Most folks take between 35-45 days. Took me 39.

I'd say take your time, enjoy. If you get there in 27 days great. If not, get a ride from someone going there (Miss Janet in Erwin, Bob Peoples at Kincorra, the guys at Bluff Mtn Outfitters in Hot Springs?)
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Working on Forestry Grad schol

yeah, that'd be pretty feasible--a bit more than a month to cover a bit under 500 miles.

It's best not to do too much pre-planning if you don't have a lot of hiking experience. You don't know your pace, what kind of food you'll want, etc., and you can't learn your own personal preferences from others.

You could put together a whole bunch of meal options at home and phone in food 'orders' to your sister as you hike--just make sure that the meals you make have good nutritional value, taste good enough to eat on the trail, are easy to prepare, and will keep.

The better option is probably to resupply as you go. If you don't like that, you could take a few days off in south or central Virginia and put together mail drops for the rest of your hike. That way you'll have some mileage under your belt before you try to plan out food quantities, preferences, and pace.

Priority flat rate boxes are your friend.

Thank you so much Jack, warraghiyagey, and skids for the information. I can't wait for April 19th to get here!
    Hope to see you on the trail.
    SOBO8

The information you've received so far has been correct. Most folks are in the Erwin area after 30 days of hiking. However, since you're on a 165 day pace instead of the usual 180-185, I think it's likelier you could be a bit past Erwin. I'd get a ride from Bob Peoples who runs Kincora Hostel, who'llalso give you a ride back. Or if you're lucky enough to meet Miss Janet Hensley in Erwin (a great friend to the hiking community) you might be able to hook up with her somewhere North of Erwin and catch a ride with her. You just might be able to make it to Damascus in 27 days of hiking, but I think this would require faster hiking than you'll want to be doing. I'd plan on getting a ride to Damasacus, and then getting a ride back afterwards; as others have said, this is very easy to do, whether you are in Hot Springs NC, Erwin TN, Hampton TN or elsewhere.

You all have amazing knowledge...thank you so much!

I think I'll take my time and if I get there great. If not, I'll get a ride.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

I second Jack's resupply article, I used that to over haul my entire food plan for my trip, use that in combination with a thru hiking guidebook, and you are good to go for planning resupply.

Kirby

For 09, Im going with buy as you go since th resupply options just seem more logical. As has been mentioned before in this thread as well as other son teh topic, sometimes, you send your food to yourself and you may just be sick of the same old crap. Plus, buying as you go lets you help out those that help us hikers in these trail towns.
    Why not limit the amount of mail drops you do with the stuff you really really like?? Plus, Im sure its nice to get a package from home for those tough days.

I'm sitting at home and I'm trying to plan my maildrops and how much food to buy for 165 days.
    Find something else to keep yourself busy. Maybe a hike or two.

Maildrops are highly over-rated. Except for a few essential items that you can't get locally (eg. maps, guides) it's best to minimize them.

Who's to say you'll make it for 165 days? And even if you do (and I hope you do) then who's to say you'll still enjoy eating the stuff you packed seven months earlier?

Food resupply is no big deal on the AT. Relying heavily on maildrops for food resupply is silly, IMO -- unless you have serious dietary issues or something like that.

Actually, I'm quite busy right now. I just happened to have that particular day off due to ice and winter weather so I thought I could get some advice and comforting words from users on this site.

I'm working 4 jobs to save money for the trip: money for the actual trip and money to pay for bills while i'm on the trip. As far as maildrops, it's cheaper IMO and I also get food you can't find in town (healthy food). I met a thru hiker last year in Erwin and I took him to the food market to get supplies...he bought junk food and said that was all he could get....gross. So I'm totally into the food drops.

Secondly, terrapin, I WILL finish the trail. My advanced planning is to make a successful thru hike. My sister is on call and I have 100s of recipes. So, as my food preference changes, my sister can change what she is sending me.

I just wanted advice on the parameters I set at the beginning of the thread (i.e. mail drops, FBC) from those that have completed a thru hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    I second Jack's resupply article, I used that to over haul my entire food plan for my trip, use that in combination with a thru hiking guidebook, and you are good to go for planning resupply.

Kirby
    ditto, basically printed it and used a highlighter. ill just pack the pages in waterproof bag...

Yeah, I've been reading those as well. They are excellant. Thanks Jack!

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I'm working 4 jobs to save money for the trip: money for the actual trip and money to pay for bills while i'm on the trip....
    Secondly, terrapin, I WILL finish the trail.
    Yes, you will finish the trail. Enjoy!

ScottP,

Thanks for the encouraging words!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++