WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dr Bonners Soap

Default Dr Bronners Soap

I have read about the need to keep "smellies" inside your bearbag. Is it safe to use Dr. Bronners Peppermint Soap on oneself and on clothing, or will that attract bears? I can just see bears mistaking me for a giant candy cane while I'm asleep!
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-10-2004 at 23:06.

Default Yes

Generally speaking, the bears along the AT are only looking for food. They probably will not bother your other smellables, including soap, bug dope, toothpaste, etc. So when in bear country along the AT (mostly Georgia, Great Smokies National Park, Shenandoah National Park, and New Jersey), your food and trash should be either up on a bear cable, in a bear box, or otherwise out of reach of bears. Bears elsewhere along the AT are pretty timid and usually don't approach people, so no need for special precautions. Mice and other critters are more of a threat to your food in these places.

However, if you go to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico, then all smellables, including the ones mentioned, go up in a bear bag every night.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

I use doc bronner's ...even brush my teeth with it ,,never had a bear problem.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

I have been using Bronners for over 20 years without issue. Even had a skunk smell it and turn its nose up at it. It is the greatest stuff ever invented for keeping clean. Nothing like heating up some warm water and cleaning your face with it.

Images

Mint is a naturally occuring weed that bears ignore. My unscientific guess is that the mint scent wouln't be related with food to a bear any more than the scent of paper would remind you of food.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

So where do you find this doc bonners soap? just did a gooble search and got several hiking sites but no online store sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater
    So where do you find this doc bonners soap? just did a gooble search and got several hiking sites but no online store sites.
    Go to www.rei.com and do a search for soap. It's listed in the camping/hiking section. I've also seen it at the REI store in Atlanta

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tater

Mtn crossings at neels gap ga
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

www.campmor.com has Doc Bronners mint soap. Streamweaver
    "Theres is no real hope of traveling perfectly light in the mountains.It is good to try,as long as you realize that,like proving a unified field theory,mastering Kanji,or routinely brewing the perfect cup of coffee,the game can never be won." Smoke Blanchard

Default Soap

Almost every outfitter stocks it, right next to the Camp Suds.

Also have been using Bronners for well over 20 years. Reading the label has been entertaining. Two years ago tried getting some at the EMS in Burlington, Vt and the clerk told me they stopped carrying it because of customer complaints over the "objectionable label." Wow! Am glad that REI has not fallen prey to the PC crowd, at least when it comes to soap.

Default You can even get a sampler basket here...

Try this link. You can even get a sampler basket to try the different scents. Mary also has the liquid form of the soap.

http://www.maggiescottage.com/drbronmagsoa.html

Of course, if you do get the sampler & need someone to take the rose scented off your hands, let me know. I'll pass on my mailing address to ya.

You can also find it at health food, vitamin/herb type stores.

Quote Originally Posted by shellyhale
    Try this link. You can even get a sampler basket to try the different scents. Mary also has the liquid form of the soap.

http://www.maggiescottage.com/drbronmagsoa.html

Of course, if you do get the sampler & need someone to take the rose scented off your hands, let me know. I'll pass on my mailing address to ya.

SH have you tried their bug repellant w/Neemaura? Is it a Dr. Bonners product? Nice link.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel bait
    SH have you tried their bug repellant w/Neemaura? Is it a Dr. Bonners product? Nice link.
    Nope, can't say that I have. Anyone else? Would like to hear some reviews on it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Dr.Bronner's...

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    I have read about the need to keep "smellies" inside your bearbag. Is it safe to use Dr. Bronners Peppermint Soap on oneself and on clothing, or will that attract bears? I can just see bears mistaking me for a giant candy cane while I'm asleep!

Yo Mouse:

i used Dr.Bronner's in 2002. took a whole 5 oz. bottle on my 8 day section hike in "Bear country" Georgia-NC section...

i used it when we stayed @ Walasi-Yi (Neels Gap) on the 3rd day...then never used it again...as the next time...(5 days later) that i saw a shower...our section-hike was over!

i wouldnt worry about the smell luring bears & other critters...
    but if you want to be on the ultra-safe side....fly the "peppermint" soap!

see ya'll UP the trail in 2004!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

i get it at Whole Foods

Images

Here ya go

Just scroll down it is there. Great stuff.
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Ivory for example!

I have tried the Doc Bronners as well as the camp suds but as a liquid, in small containers, I found that i used them up far to quickly. When I ran out, I just bought a bar of soap and found it lasted much, much longer than any liquid. Then I found that Ivory was about the most biodegradable and available about anyplace where food is sold and have stuck with using that. It works better, its considerably cheaper, it goes further and it is much, much lighter than the other aforementioned liquids. But I still use a small vial of baking soda for toothpaste and it will last a month.

http://www.drbronner.com/ Has a webstore now but its a little more expensive than buying from a retailer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++