WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Similar work needs to be done where ever you are. Get busy and do it. Trails are meant to be used. But for that to happen they also need to be nurtured and cared for.

Weary
    Amen. Whereever you may be, there is always a trail org, a park group or open space org, etc that could use a helping hand.

I call it cross-trail karma. Besides being rewarding work (you give back, and often get to go to areas most people aren't allowed), it is fun.

A little sweat equity helps everyone.

..and here is my standard boiler plate post on post-trail (and PRE-trail!) adjustment:
    http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.ph...ost-trail.html

A lot of it is what Spirit Walker said: Find what you loved about the thru-hike and bring it into your life....

Good luck!
    Last edited by Mags; 12-27-2008 at 16:08.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Ya know, I went off trail at Clingman's after screwing up my knee in the Smokies, but I miss the time I did spend on the trail. Just every now and then I will hear a sound, smell some wood smoke, just something - and it's flashback time.

I really do miss what trail life I did experience, but what I miss most are the trail buds. Some of us keep up via email, but it's just not the same. I only spent a couple of weeks out there - I can't image what those of you that went all the way up to Lady 'K must be feeling.

Sigh. Guess Springer Fever is starting early this year. One of the years I will try it again.

Sigh.
    WhoAh

Images

sloopjonboswell...any thread with his name deserves a bump...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Default Great advice in this thread......

Marreroo, Spirit Walker and others have given you some great advice to help you deal with "trail withdrawal". What you don't want at this point is to be cured. We who are afflicted with this addiction actually suffer. Normal people can't understand nor can they communicate with us, and they don't like hearing about it all the time either, do they? We are hopelessly in love and the younger you are the worse it seems to be. That's the only way you can describe the feeling. Why else would you spend all your time thinking about it, and brooding over it. Or sitting here at 11:00 A.M. reading WB?

What you need is an outdoor alternative. The gym is ok for work outs but you need to grab every opportunity available to feel dirt, and rocks and climbing under you feet.

In our house we have a "hiker room" where all my hiking stuff stays except for my good boots which stay next to the back door so I can put them and go for walks in the woods around our home with Max our dog. This room used to belong to one of our kids but they've grown up and moved on. It looks junky to everyone but me. Along with all my other stuff, my hiking stick, (a hickory sapling), is there. It's about 3-4 inches shorter, worn off by the rocks between GA and ME. My old boots which bit the dust, or I should say rain, in the White Mtns are there too. My wife hates this mess and complains frequently about. This room smells like a dirty hiker, so I keep the door closed. I love it!

In fact, right now is a perfect time to take a walk. The temp is 32 with a 20 degree wind chill. Shouldn't sweat too much. I'll climb the fire tower a few times too and stop to talk to the forest rangers while I'm there. I better go, Max has that "ready to hike" look in his eyes.

Happy hiking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++