WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Wait Wait Wait...Goat, I'll go one step further.

With the preponderance of available sources you'd need to make a concerted effort to outright starve in the US. Or, be handicapped mentally or physically to the point where you are:

a. unaware of your own physical needs

or

b. unable to move to one of the litany of available food sources

(or, you could be stranded in the desert or snowed in or something but that's not really what we're talking about here, right?)

Blue Jay claims to be a moron and (based on his WB activity) has yet to starve so I think you've got it wrong, Goat.

I have read this thread twice trying to figure out exactly what the argument is about. Can't do it.

Anyway, there are few people starving in the U.S. but there are plenty of people who are malnourished, some for lack of food. Plenty of children and elderly people. Lots of people living in southern states especially where social welfare benefits are not so generous run out of food for their children all the time. A lot of school districts feed the kids breakfast as well as lunch because the kids come to school hungry. It's real and I've seen with my own eyes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Rather than diving in the dumpster, try asking at the back door. Tell them you are raising money for a charity (don't need to tell them you are the charity). Some locations will give you their discards. We did this at a local franchise and resold day old food at various local school and sporting events to raise money for kids baseball. Alternatively, you may actually consider working so you can pay at the front door. Just a thought.
    yeah, now this is more of what i was thinking. most of the time, they wont even let you do any work. top spots should surely include grocery stores.
    hey hey, my my

Images

Very commendable. One man's garbage is another mans gold.
    Dumpster diving...waste not want not....

Maybe I've never been hungry enough, but I'll be damned if I am going to eat anything out of a dumpster.

Images

Hmmm. Dumpster Diving????? Maybe I need to start rubbing elbows with a higher class of hikertrash.......
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by doggiebag View Post
    Whenever this years batch of hikers gets snubbed or treated with distaste while doing errands or resupply in a trail town - this thread should come to mind.
    Dog hikers leave a worse trail, in town and out. You really need to stay out of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post
    very glad to see you twice admit to being a moron.
    Wow, you can't even count to 2.

you'd do yourself well to limit it in your assessment of me, as you know nothing of me.

so tell us all a/b your dumpster-diving/ homeless days, blue jay, you must be an expert right?
    I'll give you an example GOAT. Recently a honorably discharged vet who served in Iraq starved to death. You can blame it on alcohol, you can blame it on drugs, you can blame it on aid cuts. You CANNOT blaim it on his being a moron. Look it up, there have been others. Deaths from suicide, accidents and yes even starvation are way up even over Nam. You are exactly correct about one thing, I know nothing about you. Frankly I sincerely wish I did not know you ever existed at all.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    Blue Jay claims to be a moron and (based on his WB activity) has yet to starve so I think you've got it wrong, Goat.
    for the record: i did make an exception when it came to East Poestenkill, NY.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    I'll give you an example GOAT. Recently a honorably discharged vet who served in Iraq starved to death. You can blame it on alcohol, you can blame it on drugs, you can blame it on aid cuts. You CANNOT blaim it on his being a moron. Look it up, there have been others. Deaths from suicide, accidents and yes even starvation are way up even over Nam. You are exactly correct about one thing, I know nothing about you. Frankly I sincerely wish I did not know you ever existed at all.
    "there once was this guy who did this" hardly proves a point. an article or something would be nice. usually when one provides an example of something, it is specific. rather than me "look it up", if you know of an instance; give me something to read.

btw, no need to bring up suicide, accidents, drugs or alcohol as these have nothing to do with discussion at hand.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

"there once was this guy who did this" hardly proves a point. an article or something would be nice. usually when one provides an example of something, it is specific. rather than me "look it up", if you know of an instance; give me something to read.

btw, no need to bring up suicide, accidents, drugs or alcohol as these have nothing to do with discussion at hand.
    It must be fun to play chess with you as you telegraph every stupid move. His name was Carl he died in January 2008 in Schenectady NY. Last year three girls set him on fire in Albany NY. Now give me an example of a moron who died of starvation.

Images

Dog hikers leave a worse trail, in town and out. You really need to stay out of this one.
    This is not about dogs on the trail. It's about the treatment your fellow hikers may recieve in town based on the fallout of previous hikers behavior. If someone has to resort to scavenging in dumpsters for food - they probably shouldn't be on the trail. In light of recent events hikers should be more cognizant of how they behave in town.
    Last edited by doggiebag; 02-08-2008 at 14:13.
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Images

It must be fun to play chess with you as you telegraph every stupid move. His name was Carl he died in January 2008 in Schenectady NY. Last year three girls set him on fire in Albany NY. Now give me an example of a moron who died of starvation.
    "there once was this guy named carl who did this" doesn't prove a point either. please, a story such as this must have had at least one article written a/b it, right?

p.s. you wouldn't stand a chance against me in chess.

"there once was this guy named carl who did this" doesn't prove a point either. please, a story such as this must have had at least one article written a/b it, right?

p.s. you wouldn't stand a chance against me in chess.
    itsyourturn.com anytime although I'm sure you're a pathetic pawn pusher. Lets try Extinction Chess or what ever you know the moves for. Now I'll try to explain this so you can understand. This is the SECOND (got that, hold your hooves up) time I'll admit I'm a moron for trying to talk to someone as heartless and coldblodded as you.

itsyourturn.com anytime although I'm sure you're a pathetic pawn pusher. Lets try Extinction Chess or what ever you know the moves for. Now I'll try to explain this so you can understand. This is the SECOND (got that, hold your hooves up) time I'll admit I'm a moron for trying to talk to someone as heartless and coldblodded as you.

Hey Blue Jay, quit being a dick. If you are looking to flame people and start troll wars, there are plenty of other forums online for that.

Images

just as i thought, you were lying by making up a phony story & using it as an example. when called out on it, you've got nothing except namecalling. is that how you play chess too?

for the record: that is the THIRD (got that, hold your wings up) time you've admitted that you're a moron.

i dumpster dived some fabulous chairs in Chicago...used them for 5 years then before my last move I sold them on craigslist for 60 dollars....I miss those chairs

i've eaten others leftovers in restaurants

I generally get the food from the back door of the store instead of digging through the dumpster for it.

sincerely, Hog farmer
    My guns are not as dangerous as Ted Kennedy's car

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++