WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Maryland shelters

I am planning SB section hike from Ironmasters Hostel in PA to Harpers Ferry. Just received data book & maps and noticed almost all shelters and campsites are near roads. Prior experience has taught me to avoid camping near roads but looks like I have no choice as camping is restricted to designated areas. Read trail journals online and found several incidents in this area with problems involving local residents. Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated. Thanx PROZAC

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

The Ed garvey shleter is not near a road. But almost so close to HF you could just push on. There is also the Dalghren Backpacker (sp is off I don't have my book handy)Campsite. That has a hiker shower. We had no problems there. There is another shelter just a mile south of the D-Backpacker Campsite. I did not go there has I was headed for the shower. HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Hello Prozac,
    I have hiked Pa. three times now and have had no problems with anyone.Yes all of the shelters in Pa. are near roads how ever you could get to a shelter get your water eat and hike on and stealth camp,just a suggestion if you don't want to stay at the shelters.Have a great time in Pa. it is a beautful state and there many areas for camping out without staying at the shelters.If you would like more infromation you could email me off line. When are you going?
    EZ-DOES-IT
    It's mind over matter
    If you don't mind it doesn't matter

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ez-does-it

Hello Prozac,
    I have hiked Pa. three times now and have had no problems with anyone.Yes all of the shelters in Pa. are near roads how ever you could get to a shelter get your water eat and hike on and stealth camp,just a suggestion if you don't want to stay at the shelters.Have a great time in Pa. it is a beautful state and there many areas for camping out without staying at the shelters.If you would like more infromation you could email me off line. When are you going?
    i was doing a search on stealth camping and came across this thread. i plan to start section hiking the AT this spring 2004. i live in NJ and my brother lives in eastern PA. with the convenience of having someone to drop me off and pick me up on the trail i plan to make PA my first section. although i am not an antisocial person i will not stay at a shelter because of the mice and i like my own space when it comes to sleeping. i dont want to worry about waking up and finding my pack gone. then ofcorse there are the packers that show up at 10pm, the snorers and partiers and so on.

i have read that a lot of the crimes on the AT happen in PA, probably because the shelters are close to the roads and trailheads. i plan to stealth camp atleast 5 miles from the trail heads and shelters.

anybody experienced in hike the PA section of the AT?
    are both sides of the trail flanked by private property, i dont want to tresspass.

++ New Posts ++