WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water on the Pinhoti

I was up there last year, is the water situation any better?

Quote Originally Posted by BigwaveDave View Post
    I was up there last year, is the water situation any better?
    The Alabama section of the trail has considerably more water than the Georgia section. Unless we're talking about the Cohuttas.

What part off the trail are you interested in?
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Bull Gap (current southern terminus) to Scott Lake (MM14.4) no water. Period. After that, you just need good planning, water can be found at fairly regular intervals. Good amounts of rain over the last month here.
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

If you know where to look, there is pretty good water south east of the microwave tower. I flaged it once but unless you knew why the flags were there, you would not follow them. There is a finger of land running east away from the trail going around the microwave tower. This is a pretty large section of land and one where you can pitch tents. South of this spit of land the treraine drops. Head south southeast till you hit the other finger of land jutting out towards the east. Where these two come together you will find water. It was dry when I found it so I had to go down the gulley a ways but it was obvious the water normally flows pretty good starting higher up. I did not go as far as I have hiked on the AT to get water at a shelter. (I use the compass directions loosely. I always picture the trail as a north south trail and give directions accordingly. Therefore, regardless of the true compass direction of the trail, anything to the right as I am hiking north becomes east to me.)

++ New Posts ++