WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ba chomp, ba chewy chewy chomp chomp's Avatar

Default Billville Winter Warmer

Hey all -

I just wanted to announce the that the Billville Winter Warmer is going to occur on Leap Year weekend, Febuary 27-29, in Duncannon PA at the Doyle. This event is essentially a social event, with various members of Billville hanging out at the Doyle for the weekend. There might be some hiking involved... there might not. There might be some mtn biking involved... there might not. There will be no seminars or gear vendors... And I hate to be a stickler about this, but Contra Dancing is strictly prohibited.

If the hiking doesn't happen, I would at least like to organize a "shelter" trip, where a few people go in and clean things up. There are quite a few shelters in the area that are close to the road in that area, so doing a clean-up detail should be pretty easy.

Please let me know if you are interested, as space is limited! All are invited, but if you are not familar with the Billville gang, you might want to contact me so you know what to expect. We are reserving rooms at the Doyle for the weekend, and I would like to give them a rough idea for how many people to expect in the bar. I imagine that they will again open up the second floor bar for our use, which is georgous for anyone that hasn't been up there before.

Anyway, there is its, the First Annual Billville Winter Warmer. Any questions or comments you can post here, PM me, or send me an email to: chomp AT chompadventures DOT com

-Chomp

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by chomp
    Contra Dancing is strictly prohibited.-Chomp
    Good idea Chomp, that way no one gets hurt
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Nice idea, Chomp. Count me in. Another possible idea, if the shelter clean-up doesn't work....the new owners at the Doyle have been great....maybe there's some work or clean-up project around the place they might need some help with; five or six folks or more can get a lot done in just a few short hours; I'd check with Vicki to see if there's anything we can do for her around the place after we arrive, and while we're still capable of standing.

The whole thing sounds good. Hopefully the weather will be cooperating. Let me know if you will have a sign up list or if we need to bring anything.

hmmm - I can see it now - Jack gets to clean up "the room"

Hi Chomp,
    Since I would like to see exactly where the shelters are in this area, I am very interested in helping with the shelter clean-up idea. I am marking the dates on my calendar so I can get off that Saturday during the day. I am always off on Sunday. I am looking forward to seeing the Billeville guys again.
    See you all then,
    Mary Parry (centrally located between the Pub and the Doyle!!)
    P.S. FYI:There are two hikers staying there for the winter before they continue their hike this spring: Shrek & Walk Softly and his dog! Shrek is working there as a cook. He is a great guy. He has the look and personality of Shrek. The name fits well.

Default i'm cold, I could use a winter warmer

Count me in. And probably 40. And also this kid Ben who goes to school with me who hiked last year. And maybe I'll pick up Krispie on the way, and his girl JJ. And all the Black Mountain I can motivate,

Images

What?? NO SEMINARS???
    I'm thinking this would be the perfect venue for a HeavyWeight Backpacking Instruction Seminar led by myself and Bag O Tricks. Perhaps we can sneak it in while Chomp isn't looking!!

Default I am in

Hey Chomp,
    Count me in. I serioulsy need a winter warmer. I am working construction lately. it's great to be outside but brrrr...

Hope all is well for you
    VSA

Just posting an update on the Winter Warmer. So far we have 8-12 people signed up for the event, depending on who can make it and who can't. I talked with Pat at the Doyle last night and I told him that we would be needing at least 4 rooms for Friday and Saturday night.

If you haven't confirmed here or with me 100% or you would like your own room, please let me know. I told Pat that I would call him if we needed more rooms, though he said that it won't be a problem.

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing all of you at the First Annual Winter Warmer. No need to bring anything as dinner and adult beverages will be had at the Doyle Bar. You might need a lunch or two depending the weather and if we get out for a longish hike.

The only thing that I think we really need to bring is a good sized backpack and a couple of trash bags. In case we find a lot of trash in firepits or around a shelter area, I want to be able to bring all if it out.

Finally, there is a chance that I could head down on Thursday night and get to the Dolye around midnight. Anyone up for Thursday night or a Friday dayhike weather depending?

Thats it for now... I'll have another update about two weeks before the event.

-chomp

Chomp: Thursday night drive sounds great to me......as far as a Friday hike, that's also a great idea. I've got the perfect place in mind---- relatively flat ground, scenic, well marked and signed-----howz about Gettysburg? If you want to see the field without the company 40,000 large Winnebago people from Nebraska, then late January seems like the time.

At the Billville Winter Warmer I will be leading a seminar entitled "How To Lead a Seminar," which will conclude with a slideshow of me leading a seminar.

As for Gettysburg this time of year, I think you miss out on the feel of the whole thing. With a visit in July, you get the heat (of July), the sweat (of overweight tourists), the smoke (of car exhaust), the whole package.

Plus, it's harder to envision the valiant charge of the 4th Nebraska Winnebago Brigade as they charged ponderously up Seminary Ridge. Unlike another better known charge, a retreat was called for quickly when it was determined that the Union positions in front of them had neither pull-throughs nor hook-ups.

See you all at the Doyle!

Default can't wait

Well, i just can't wait to see what Jester is going to pull out of his hat this time .
    )

Images

[QUOTE=Jester2000]At the Billville Winter Warmer I will be leading a seminar entitled "How To Lead a Seminar," which will conclude with a slideshow of me leading a seminar.

you mean no contra dancing?!
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

If there is enough interest I am going to lead a seminar on how to sabotage a contra dance.

Default Update

Well, the Warmer is just over two weeks away and it looks like we will have a good crew for the first go at this. In fact, we have actually extended it by a day. Several of us will be descending on the Doyle Thursday night. Some, like myself, won't be getting there until about midnight. However, getting into town on Thursday gives us all of Friday to make a trip to nearby Gettysburg, and anything else that we might have time for. Saturday is still the planned day for a hike and shelter clean-up. I scoured the maps and picked a couple of possible location, but I am up for any suggestions. Thats all for now, I'll make another post the week of the Warmer with a check on the weather and some final details.

-chomp

Well, the weekend has an extra day. Why shouldn't the warmer? I have Friday off, so I'll be there Thursday night. I'll see you all there!

I'm actually at The Doyle right now, during a quiet moment on Saturday afternoon. And by quiet I mean some people dragged their cans out to hike because it's too damn nice out not to, and some people are taking a restorative nap, soothing their abused brains/livers/groins from the previous night's activities and preparing their brains/livers/groins for THIS evening's festivities. So it goes. The Doyle staff are, as usual, gracious, funny, and tolerant. So far so good, so far so good. . .

Just wanted to say that I had a great time. Familiar faces and new friends. Wish I could be there tonight for round 2. I'm working on putting some pictures on the gallery here but if you attended and want all of the pics I could email them out.

You think LW was kidding about the drinkin', pukin', and homosexual sex?

Default All warmed up

Thanks for such a good time. It was good to be in Drunkannon. Special thanks to trailangel Mary, the great staff at the Doyle, and of course Sue's daughter.

Thank you all for comin out. See you in Damascus!
    VSA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++