WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I seperate my food and trash and hang it away from my hammock. I place my pack and gear into a trash bag and lay it on the ground under the hammock. Never had a problem with any wet gear or critter problems.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by doodles View Post
    I seperate my food and trash and hang it away from my hammock. I place my pack and gear into a trash bag and lay it on the ground under the hammock. Never had a problem with any wet gear or critter problems.
    I do the exact same thing. I carry a large, tough lawn/outdoor drawstring garbage bag. It's big enough for my pack plus other stuff like my boots. My pack and gear never got wet in that garbage bag and it only weighs an ounce or two.

Images

I use a contractor garbage bag. These are bigger and completely cover my pack. I put the covered pack under my hammock and up on something (whatever is handy: rock, couple sticks, hiking poles, etc.) to keep it off the ground in case of a monsoon.

Happy hiking!

Time To Fly 97

Images

I put my pack cover on it and its like a bathtub, turtle on its back kinda deal. Just throw it under your hammock and call it a day.
    -milkman

got soul?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    I hang it on a tree with my pack cover on it. Never dissappointed yet.
    Ditto....

Images

:banana I hang it beside my hammock

Why not? If it rains it will get wet - If I am wearing it and it rains it will get wet. Otherwise what could happen to it.

your pack could always be your pillow, or your insulation, or simply a resting partner on a lonely night. follow my philosophy. If you are having to think about where to put everything, you are carrying too much stuff and being unefficient.

If you are having to think about where to put everything, you are carrying too much stuff and being unefficient.
    You're right. next time i'll just leave my pack at home. that solves the whole thing! just kidding. actually on my last hike (6 days) i carried a big trash compactor bag like several of you suggested, put my pack and boots in it, left it on the ground, and it worked fine. it stayed dry and i had no critter problems.
    "...Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation." -Blind Seer, O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Journal Entries
    Images

Anyone put their pack on the bear bag hanger line?
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Images

I use a Hennessy Hammock and clip my pack with the front facing towards the hammock opening. This way I can access it without getting out totally. Works pretty good. Put up a drip line so that water does not get on your pack in case of rain.
    Also, inside of the Hennessy there's a loop on the ends of the ridge line you can clip your pack to. This works pretty good for small packs, etc. I put a stuff sack up there sometimes.
    www.kevinmims.com
    Read the VISIT FLORIDA Outdoors & Nature Blog: http://bit.ly/9jtcnr

If I can find one, I will find a tree right next to me that is young enough for my pack to strap around. Basically any tree you can fit your arms around, you should be able to just strap it using the chest and waist straps. Cover it with a plasic bag if you can to prevent animals and bird and bat crap from falling on it.
    http://www.alphabluetech.com/kjhanlon
    Enjoy it while it's wild. Soon enough we'll be hiking indoors.

Oh yeah, otherwise I'll hand it horizontally from my Overhead Tarp Rope. Near the feet.
    http://www.alphabluetech.com/kjhanlon
    Enjoy it while it's wild. Soon enough we'll be hiking indoors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++