WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Solo Tents

Default Solo Tents

I'm getting ready to purchase my first solo/backpacking tent and the two i'm focusing on are the North Face Solo 12 and the Eureka Spitfire UL...anyone have any thoughts on the two or recommendations (same price or less preferably). Thanks

Henry Shires Tarptent Rainbow.

I have a Eureka Spitfire, but not the UL version, and I like it okay. I kinda wish I had a little bit larger free standing tent, but the Spitfire has done well with getting me started (especially with the price) until I figure out which one I'm really going to invest in.

Go with the Spitfire have mine up in the pouring rain not one drop got in the tent
    great tent. Asd far as North Face they petty much turn in to a yuppie company . I got some zip off pants from them first week worn them seam start to come apart not first time i have bad thing form North Face but that is diff story.

Henry Shires Tarp tent Contrail

Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo

Images

I can't comment on either tent specifically but I am a big fan of Eureka!

My little brother did some research and put a thread up here about whether or not to get the spitfire or the spitfire UL and everyone basically told him to go with the regular spitfire. He ended up going with a Siera Designs Light Year instead. I think it was like one oz heavier but it was larger inside with a larger vestibule. Something like that........ not positive though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulhiker View Post
    Henry Shires Tarp tent Contrail
    X2 ..... great tent, lite and easy to set up.

anything from 6 moon designs
    anything from henry shires
    MSR hubba if you can find it on sale
    Sierra designs light year (good tent, very inexpensive, tried and tested design)

check out www.backpackgeartest.org for more opinions and reviews of tents

Have you looked at the MSR Hubba or the Big Agnes Seedhouse 1SL?

campsaver.com is having a 20% sale... which means you can get the Big Agnes SL1 for $200. That would be my choice. But the Eureka Spitfire is a decent tent at a decent price. I have many years of positive experiences with Eureka backpacking tents.

Default Solo 12

I own the solo 12 and I am very happy with it. I got it from steep and cheap for less then $100 shipped. I agree north face has turned into quite the yuppie brand, but this tent has suited me perfect. I have used in in the pouring down rain and have stayed 99% dry. I have used in in temps around 20 degrees and have been very happy to have had a tent to stay warm. The set up of this tent is stupid easy only problem i have with it is it is not freestanding. I love getting to camp and having my camp unpacked and ready in 10 minutes while my buddies with a hammocks are still trying to find the best tree to hang from. I am short 5'7" so i am able to fit my pack in the tent with me under the bottom of my legs if I need to.

I can not say how it would last on a long trip as I only use it for 3 - 6 nights at a time, but I have had it for over a year and have used it for over 2 dozen nights.

My two cents....

13 post and no hammock suggestions? The exorcism must have worked.
    My guns are not as dangerous as Ted Kennedy's car

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cannonball View Post
    13 post and no hammock suggestions? The exorcism must have worked.

Images

I have used the Eureka Spitfire(Not UL) extensively on section hikes and has performed quite well.Sets up easily,even in rain and has performed well in semi-strong winds.I would go for just a little more room though...

another tent you might want to check out is the mountain hardwear sprite, or lightpath

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

I can not speak for TNF tents, but the only negative I have heard on the Spitfire UL is the foot area. The regular Spitfire (which I have) has the second pole at the foot that keeps the tent farther away from your feet. Without that second pole at the foot I understand that your feet rub the tent wall all night.
    So be it.
    --John

i hiked half the trail with my Spitfire and i had no problems with it. i know of at least two people who used north face solo tents on the trail and they HATED them. the condensation was so bad that their gear would be wet in the morning and soaked when it rained.

Just in case you haven't noticed, REI has the Quarter Dome solo tent for under $200.00. Freestanding and around 3 lbs, I think. No problems with returns, either. If you don't like it, send it back for a refund or exchange. (Bet you can't guess I used to work there ).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++