WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trail head clean up Port Clinton Pa

Hello all,
    We are going to be helping with a local trailhead and surrounding area cleanup on the weekend of April 5th & 6th.2008
    The local hiking club is also going to be helping, but we really could use all the help we can get.
    After all the trash is picked up the Township is going to block off access so people can't dump there anymore.
    This will not affect the parking in the lot for hikers that will remain open for use, its just where the A.T. crosses the roadway that is a mess.
    If any of you are interested in helping, please PM me or just sign up here for your date and time avaiable, so I know how many people we have planning on being there.
    It is the area that is called the north trailhead in Port Clinton.
    All are welcome to help with this.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeBackpacker View Post
    Hello all,
    We are going to be helping with a local trailhead and surrounding area cleanup on the weekend of April 5th & 6th.2008
    The local hiking club is also going to be helping, but we really could use all the help we can get.
    After all the trash is picked up the Township is going to block off access so people can't dump there anymore.
    This will not affect the parking in the lot for hikers that will remain open for use, its just where the A.T. crosses the roadway that is a mess.
    If any of you are interested in helping, please PM me or just sign up here for your date and time avaiable, so I know how many people we have planning on being there.
    It is the area that is called the north trailhead in Port Clinton.
    All are welcome to help with this.
    Is this the area where the kids go down to the river to swim???

Images

Excellent Scott!

I'll come in on Thursday. I plan on devoting much time on the Trail this year, and no better way to start it than to volunteer.

Thanks for coordinating this, and email me if I can do anything.

If anyone is interested in helping out, and you're along the corridor from Cleveland Ohio...email me!!!!

[email protected]

See you then

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    Is this the area where the kids go down to the river to swim???
    Yes its that trail head

Images

Yes its that trail head
    How will the township block off the area - boulders or posts and cables?

BMECC cleaned up the parking lot at the south end of town (the "real" parking area!!) last year, but we didn't have the manpower to tackle both areas that day. Tires, trash, you name it - we found it!

I read this and asked my family if they want to come with me to help out. my 11 year old daughter said without a pause that she would love to help. So you can count on two of us being there. Then after a full days work, a quick stop at Cabellas to relax the soul.

in in and in. scotts my hero!

seriously,...someone pick me up.
    matthewski

I don't know why but for some reason I always liked the steps at the "real" parking area, so I was pained to see on several visits over the years to see the trashing and vandalism. Frankly with the overgrowth there too when I was last there about a year ago made me wonder whether it had been officially abandoned. Thanks to the BME Climbing Club, Inc. for all their work pre-dating and continuing the wonderful Pennsylvania A.T.!

The township Roadmaster went to a local quarry and asked for BOULDERS!
    he wanted ones big enough to make it hard to move them.
    I have spoke with the folks from BMECC it should be in your March news letter.
    Yeah the trash is way out of hand tires roofing material, you name it, its there.
    We will have our Hostel open and we will find a place for all to sleep if needed.
    We will run our van & truck to transport people and equipment
    Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    How will the township block off the area - boulders or posts and cables?

BMECC cleaned up the parking lot at the south end of town (the "real" parking area!!) last year, but we didn't have the manpower to tackle both areas that day. Tires, trash, you name it - we found it!

Yes they do a great job with the sections they maintain, We are hoping by cleaning this area up trailhead, parking lot, etc.. and with the lack of roadside parking it will stop the dumping and the damage to cars that are parked there.
    The "real" parking lot you are refering to is still there, that is also on the list of to do projects for that weekend. This lot is more visible so the vandelism to the cars should decrease as well
    Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    I don't know why but for some reason I always liked the steps at the "real" parking area, so I was pained to see on several visits over the years to see the trashing and vandalism. Frankly with the overgrowth there too when I was last there about a year ago made me wonder whether it had been officially abandoned. Thanks to the BME Climbing Club, Inc. for all their work pre-dating and continuing the wonderful Pennsylvania A.T.!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mikereisner View Post
    I read this and asked my family if they want to come with me to help out. my 11 year old daughter said without a pause that she would love to help. So you can count on two of us being there. Then after a full days work, a quick stop at Cabellas to relax the soul.
    I love reading about children hiking and becoming/being young advocates, but when they are pre-teen I'm especially warmed.

Tell your daughter she is a star!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    ki0eh, I don't know if you remember it, but the "real" parking area was a roadside dump for years until after the NPS purchased the land. The same year that BMECC was building the Eagle's Nest shelter, we also cleaned up the dump area - NPS got rid of the hazardous materials, and we "dumpstered" the rest of it.

And I believe that those wonderful steps were a Mid-Atlantic Trail Crew project.

Folks those who are planning on showing please pm me so we can get a headcount for equipment trash bags, please let me know if you will bringing your own rake,etc.....

yeolebackpacker, it was a pleasure to meet you this weekend. my timing is kind of tough that weekend but I will mark it on the calendar and see what I can do. I will give you a definite as it gets closer to the date.

had to post to revive this thread....

who is goin??? who is campin and where you plan on campin at????

anyone bringin kids????? i will have a almost 5 year old and a 1 (maybe two) 12 year olds with me, they follow direction well... lets put them to work....

what other plans do people have for the weekend...

My thanks to:
    Blue Mt Eagle Climbing Club and all the others from White Blaze, the Boy Scouts, Mike the factory Rep from Osprey Packs, you guys were awesome! with a total of 15 people that helped at the trailhead clean up today, In less that 5 hours we removed 100 (30 gallon) trash bags full of trash, a hot water heater, some fence, a bunch of tires and a large pile of shingles the area looks great!
    Thanks Again.

Images

THAT is really something!

Considerable project - I'm so glad it turned it well.

Good folk - great rewards.

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation

I did some trail maintenance closer to home today...and posted about it here, too, but nobody commented yet.

I also added some pictures to my gallery...

Jack I just checked out your pictures, That is a really nice place. how long is that trail system

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Smile

Jack I just checked out your pictures, That is a really nice place. how long is that trail system
    Difficult to say off the top of my head; there's a network of trails on both sides of the Wissahickon, 3 tiers of 'em in some places.

It's about a 5 mile stretch along the creek, to where it empties into the Schuykill...just downstream of the falls under that bridge.

++ New Posts ++