WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Of a feather

Images

Default Of a feather

Tonight I read an especially interesting post on Scott Weidensaul's blog. To read his latest post, click on Of a feather.

As new posts are added, click Dark Days for the Red Knot. I'll link other posts I think may be of interest as they are added to this thread to keep them together.

I hope this thread will remain true to its original intent which is to discuss topics mentioned in Of a feather without getting excessively political.

I recently read and recommended here Scott's new book by the same name. More information about his book can be found in Favorite AT bird post #153.

I also recommend Scott's books Living on the Wind and Mountains of the Heart for AT hikers. Click on the books' names here to read more about them.

Please read the entire thread before posting. I'm expecting it will be re-opened as new topics and links are added.
    Last edited by emerald; 02-13-2008 at 17:00. Reason: Fixed a link.

Images

Default Red knot links

Click on Cornell Lab of Ornithology's All About Birds, Audubon's WatchList and/or U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service links for more information arranged in order of increasing detail.

Readers with less time or interest in the finer points may find this 3-page summary [pdf] satisfies their desire for more information.

I received an email from my brother with a link to a web site which was all about the plight of the Red Knot. Kind of interesting to then come upon your thread. I ordered one of Scott Weidensaul's books from the library. They all look very interesting. Thanks for the info.

Images

Default Red knot update

A new post was added to Of a feather on February 24 entitled Red knot update.

Images

Default An incredible gift for birds

Click here to read Scott's newest post to his blog about what he claims may be one of the biggest conservation stories ever.

Remember, this thread is intended for civil discussion. Please respect the original intent of this thread which is to discuss topics mentioned in Of a feather without getting excessively political.

Hooray for the birds. Boreal Forests, my favorite kind to wander through.
    WALK ON

Clicking through the blog to the Toronto Star article seems to suggest quite a lot of vagueness in the designation, and also indicates the support of this group: http://www.ontarioprospectors.com/ But even saving half the forest is better than we Usonians did.

Images

Perhaps best to not get too excited, but to watch and see what comes of it.

++ New Posts ++