WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Shelter ethics.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    That technically may be true, however, as a practical matter any animals that may be drawn to a shelter are already going to be there from the odors coming from spilled soup, other food particles, and toothpaste spit.
    I spit toothpaste into the fire ring.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    That technically may be true, however, as a practical matter any animals that may be drawn to a shelter are already going to be there from the odors coming from spilled soup, other food particles, and toothpaste spit.
    Yes, you're right, Max. But everything is cumulative, and in other places that aren't as heavily used as a shelter, burning waste paper in fires can draw animals that wouldn't otherwise appear, particularly noxious varmints like 'coons, 'possums and skunks.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Merry Hikester

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    Folks sharing a communal space should not scatter their belongings about the shelter. They should keep their possessions in a tight space, so that hikers arriving after you don't have to ask you to move your stuff. Hikers should also make an attempt to clean themselves up - at least occasionally. Some hikers apparently takes great pride in going many weeks without a shower. That's disrespectful of others who you are sharing a common space with.
    I smell like flowers. Whats disrespectful is smelling like soap in a shelter, ewwww.
    Also, dogs not in the shelter unless everyone there consents, or if I'm cold.

Merry Hikester

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    I spit toothpaste into the fire ring.
    Usualy I would take a 5 minute walk to brush. That is too much mint and sugar too close to the shelter or campsite. It will definately attract animals. Coons as in my experience.

Images

This topic come up often, and for the life of me I don't understand why. LNT. Pack it in Pack it out. This applies equally to Thru-hikers, and trail angels. Nothing should ever be left at a shelter, a road crossing, a stream, or anywhere on the trail. Nothing, includes:
    matches
    water
    TP
    books
    Bibles
    religious literature
    any literature
    equipment
    clothes
    food
    booze
    soft drinks
    fuel
    empty fuel bottles

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    Folks sharing a communal space should not scatter their belongings about the shelter. They should keep their possessions in a tight space, so that hikers arriving after you don't have to ask you to move your stuff.
    That is the one pet peeve I had about other hikers. I almost always tented, but on the few occassions I wanted to use a shelter there always seemed to be 2 people in the shelter and their stuff was spread out over the entire floor. Just plain rude.

Merry Hikester

Quote Originally Posted by jessebrent View Post
    This topic come up often, and for the life of me I don't understand why. LNT. Pack it in Pack it out. This applies equally to Thru-hikers, and trail angels. Nothing should ever be left at a shelter, a road crossing, a stream, or anywhere on the trail. Nothing, includes:
    matches
    water
    TP
    books
    Bibles
    religious literature
    any literature
    equipment
    clothes
    food
    booze
    soft drinks
    fuel
    empty fuel bottles
    Don't get me started on the gideons.

Quote Originally Posted by hobojoe View Post
    Usualy I would take a 5 minute walk to brush. That is too much mint and sugar too close to the shelter or campsite. It will definately attract animals. Coons as in my experience.
    LNT is a set of principles, not a set of rules. I was taught to do it by an experienced hiker. You are correct that it is not always appropriate. Unfortunately, shelters attract animals because of the food and salt.

Quote Originally Posted by hobojoe View Post
    Don't get me started on the gideons.
    That reminds me of that old Bill Hicks bit-

Has anyone actually ever seen a gideon? What are these guys, ninjas?

Merry Hikester

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    LNT is a set of principles, not a set of rules. I was taught to do it by an experienced hiker. You are correct that it is not always appropriate. Unfortunately, shelters attract animals because of the food and salt.
    If it was manditory the trail would be a much more beautiful place. I will personaly cut anyones packstraps who leave trash in the shelter.
    1st offense: cut packstraps
    2nd offense: I pee in your water bladder.
    3rd offense: Chuck norris style roundhouse kick to the face.

Merry Hikester

Quote Originally Posted by zoidfu2 View Post
    That reminds me of that old Bill Hicks bit-

Has anyone actually ever seen a gideon? What are these guys, ninjas?
    I'm gonna catch one.
    Hello, front desk I don't seem to have a bible in my room.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidfu2 View Post

Has anyone actually ever seen a gideon?
    Yeah. North GA State Fair. Same spot every year. They give away those real small Bibles. The ones perfect for backpacking.

The Gideons are probably not the ones leaving religious literature in the shelters.

Merry Hikester

Quote Originally Posted by refreeman View Post
    Well said hobojoe!

Ignore lone wolf as he is one of the few disrespectful folks you mentioned.
    He only writes slothishly curt and rude comments.
    Someone ought to pack him out, but he's a fatty so we'd all definitely notice his weight.
    Must be a sad existance sitting in front of a computer all day with the grandeur of the apps right behind you.

ahhhh Carrboro. The proud home of "5th Season Gardening," the store that sells UV lights for all your indoor gardening needs

Merry Hikester

Quote Originally Posted by quasarr View Post
    ahhhh Carrboro. The proud home of "5th Season Gardening," the store that sells UV lights for all your indoor gardening needs
    A good friend of mine works there......I swear I'm just growing tomatoes. Do you live in this area?? would you be interested in this?? http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...eferrerid=4321

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Even true "paper" that has been food packaging shouldn't be burned, since trace food odors from the paper can be released during combustion, helping to draw animals to the shelter area.

TW
    Don't fart around shelters as this may attract varmits. As a matter of fact don't even go near a shelter as the trace odors on your clothes and body may attract critters, too.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Merry Hikester

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Don't fart around shelters as this may attract varmits. As a matter of fact don't even go near a shelter as the trace odors on your clothes and body may attract critters, too.
    I believe in leave no trace, but I feel conflicted when I break trail at hardcore. Maybe I'll adopt leave no trail.

Images

Default No tents!

I don't understand tents in shelters!!!! If you have a tent, put it outside. If you want to sleep in the shelter, then leave your tent packed! Do you put up an umbrella in your house or car????? No, there is NOT a reason good enough. As I would say to my kids "what you are giving me is an EXCUSE, not a REASON."

Also, I can't count the number of times we saw USED tp on the side of the trails and at the shelters. Not buried, just used and left. Truly disgusting.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Merry Hikester

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    I don't understand tents in shelters!!!! If you have a tent, put it outside. If you want to sleep in the shelter, then leave your tent packed! Do you put up an umbrella in your house or car????? No, there is NOT a reason good enough. As I would say to my kids "what you are giving me is an EXCUSE, not a REASON."

Also, I can't count the number of times we saw USED tp on the side of the trails and at the shelters. Not buried, just used and left. Truly disgusting.
    Yeah tents in shelters is a great way to get people to hate ya on the trail. Almost as funny as the full bug suit.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++