WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Shelter ethics.

Merry Hikester

Default Shelter ethics.

Hello fellow classmates of '08. My name is Hobo Joe, and for the past 4 years I have been attempting to do a thru-hike with little or no money. Since my first attempt in '04 I have met some amazing people on the trail, along with a few disrespectful folks. It is very important to remember to leave the AT and shelters just as you found them. Pack it in pack it out.
    It is not OK to leave: trash, food, cigarette buts, or anything (besides gear that someone will definitely take, and footprints). in or around the shelters, fire pits, road-crossings etc.
    I personally feel that when a hiker balls up a snickers wrapper or flicks a filtered cigarette butt into the fire ring at a shelter they are completely disrespecting every hiker and the trail itself. Burning paper trash in a fire pit is acceptable as long as it is taken care of; expecting someone else to come along and burn your trash for you is not! Unless your momma is hiking along behind you.
    I know many of you believe the same thing I do, but I ask of you please do not hesitate to tell someone else that there trash is ruining your wilderness experience. When you get to a shelter that is trashed, pack some of that trash out, you'll never notice the weight and it will make trail beautiful for the next folks who come through. Let's bring a little love to 2000 & Hate (2008).
    Am I way out of line here????

Quote Originally Posted by hobojoe View Post
    Hello fellow classmates of '08. My name is Hobo Joe, and for the past 4 years I have been attempting to do a thru-hike with little or no money. Since my first attempt in '04 I have met some amazing people on the trail, along with a few disrespectful folks. It is very important to remember to leave the AT and shelters just as you found them. Pack it in pack it out.
    It is not OK to leave: trash, food, cigarette buts, or anything (besides gear that someone will definitely take, and footprints). in or around the shelters, fire pits, road-crossings etc.
    I personally feel that when a hiker balls up a snickers wrapper or flicks a filtered cigarette butt into the fire ring at a shelter they are completely disrespecting every hiker and the trail itself. Burning paper trash in a fire pit is acceptable as long as it is taken care of; expecting someone else to come along and burn your trash for you is not! Unless your momma is hiking along behind you.
    I know many of you believe the same thing I do, but I ask of you please do not hesitate to tell someone else that there trash is ruining your wilderness experience. When you get to a shelter that is trashed, pack some of that trash out, you'll never notice the weight and it will make trail beautiful for the next folks who come through. Let's bring a little love to 2000 & Hate (2008).
    Am I way out of line here????
    No, you're right in line, except that trail maintainers would prefer you leave nothing in shelters except for your entry in the journal. They have to carry out anything you leave, including equipment you think someone else might want. Tons of it a year.

[COLOR=black]
    [COLOR=black]It is not OK to leave: trash, food, cigarette buts, or anything (besides gear that someone will definitely take, and footprints). i
    wrong. ask any maintainer

So it isn't ok to put a cigarette butt in the fire, but it is acceptable to burn trash? That doesn't make any sense.

Merry Hikester

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    No, you're right in line, except that trail maintainers would prefer you leave nothing in shelters except for your entry in the journal. They have to carry out anything you leave, including equipment you think someone else might want. Tons of it a year.
    Yeah, you're right, that is what hiker boxes are for anyway. I do remember a time when my water bladder sprung a leak and I found one about 4 hours later in a shelter. Good luck, but still it's probably not realy respectful.
    My first hike your average l.l. Bean hiker left about 7 days of food, sleeping bag, ten pairs of socks, wistles compass etc. hung up on the bear line Hawk Mt. shelter. I did my best to eat his food, but I do not thank him for it.

Personally, I don't mind if someone leaves a bottle of the good stuff in a shelter.

Merry Hikester

Quote Originally Posted by DesertMTB View Post
    So it isn't ok to put a cigarette butt in the fire, but it is acceptable to burn trash? That doesn't make any sense.
    I was refering to an "unlit fire ring" your butts will blow across the forest with a strong gust of wind. Also birds will pick them up for their nest, and choke on them, (or start smoking). Either way no good.

Merry Hikester

Quote Originally Posted by zoidfu2 View Post
    Personally, I don't mind if someone leaves a bottle of the good stuff in a shelter.
    Will you pack out the bottle or just leave it for the maintainers.

NOTHING except wood should go in a fire pit

Merry Hikester

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    NOTHING except wood should go in a fire pit
    Not paper?

I was refering to an "unlit fire ring" your butts will blow across the forest with a strong gust of wind. Also birds will pick them up for their nest, and choke on them, (or start smoking). Either way no good.

Ok. Yeah, I wouldn't leave my butts in an unlit fire ring. But I do flick them into the fire at night.

Will you pack out the bottle or just leave it for the maintainers.
    Of course. I've packed out trash for thru hikers more times than I can count.

What about leaving matches, lighters and TP? I don't see the harm in that. I'm going to sit back and prepare to get blasted now

Not paper?
    Paper IS wood.

Merry Hikester

Paper IS wood.
    Was wood.

Images

Cigarette butts thrown into a fire often do not get burned, ending up at the perimeter or the base. No one fishes them out if they don't. If you smoke, field strip your butt and pack out the filter.

As for paper in a fire, a lot of paper has toxic chemicals in the ink which are released by burning, and a lot of "paper" packaging isn't paper but plastic film, which is also toxic when burnt. Even true "paper" that has been food packaging shouldn't be burned, since trace food odors from the paper can be released during combustion, helping to draw animals to the shelter area.

Paper can be removed from 90% of packaging before a hike, with repackaging in ziplocs that can be used to pack garbage/trash out. NO trash or garbage should be put in fires, even paper.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Paper IS wood.
    Was wood.
    Not necessarily. See above.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Well said hobojoe!

Ignore lone wolf as he is one of the few disrespectful folks you mentioned.
    He only writes slothishly curt and rude comments.
    Someone ought to pack him out, but he's a fatty so we'd all definitely notice his weight.
    Last edited by refreeman; 02-13-2008 at 13:14.

Quote Originally Posted by refreeman View Post
    Well said hobojoe!

Ignore lone wolf as he is one of the few disrespectful folks you mentioned.
    He only writes slothishly curt and rude comments.
    Someone ought to pack him out, but he's a fatty so we'd all defiantly notice his weight.
    that's funny, hunny

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Even true "paper" that has been food packaging shouldn't be burned, since trace food odors from the paper can be released during combustion, helping to draw animals to the shelter area.
    That technically may be true, however, as a practical matter any animals that may be drawn to a shelter are already going to be there from the odors coming from spilled soup, other food particles, and toothpaste spit.

Folks sharing a communal space should not scatter their belongings about the shelter. They should keep their possessions in a tight space, so that hikers arriving after you don't have to ask you to move your stuff. Hikers should also make an attempt to clean themselves up - at least occasionally. Some hikers apparently takes great pride in going many weeks without a shower. That's disrespectful of others who you are sharing a common space with.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++