Journal Entries
    Images

Default Hiking partner for Sept 1. JMT

Experienced backpacker, Indiana native, M, 57 taking approximately 2 1/2 weeks to thru hike the JMT SOBO around September 1 (could also go a week earlier). Did thru hikes solo in the past. This time would welcome a partner(s). Will hike at a moderate pace, stopping for photos. Have trail maps and info---still a lot of planning to do.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garbanz View Post
    Experienced backpacker, Indiana native, M, 57 taking approximately 2 1/2 weeks to thru hike the JMT SOBO around September 1 (could also go a week earlier). Did thru hikes solo in the past. This time would welcome a partner(s). Will hike at a moderate pace, stopping for photos. Have trail maps and info---still a lot of planning to do.
    Doodah Man and I are starting the JMT on 9/3 or 9/4. We're planning on 3 weeks for our trip. What direction are you hiking? We're hiking NOBO.

Journal Entries
    Images

Talking SOBO stands for southbound

Hey Phreak
    I plan on hiking from Yosemite Valley towards Whitney Portal. It was suggested to me that hiking the JMT in this direction more gradually acclimates one to the higher elevations. If I like the trail I could do it in the opposite direction next year such as I have done with the Long Trail in 2006 and 2007.
    garbanz

Journal Entries

Default Hiking Prtner Wanted

I AM 58 YEARS OLD AND I AM ALSO DOING THE JMT ,STARTING AUG 18 th THUR SEPT 3rd 2008. TUOLUMNE TO WHITNEY PORTAL
    [200 MILES ] GOING NORTH TO SOUTH. I HAVE A RESERVATION FOR TWO AND ALSO WOULD LIKE A PARTNER.WILL BE FLYING INTO FRESNO ON SAT. AUG 16th AND RETURNING FROM FRESNO ON FRI SEPT 5TH

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    Doodah Man and I are starting the JMT on 9/3 or 9/4. We're planning on 3 weeks for our trip. What direction are you hiking? We're hiking NOBO.
    Three weeks Phreak? Seems slow for you. Bring your rod.

Default September JMT weather

I'm also considering a September JMT hike. Was thinking about a southbound hike starting in Yosemite. Want to take my time, but am concerned about weather at the highter elevations in the second half of the month. I know anything is possible, but has anyone here been out that time of year or know what should be expected in terms of normal temps/snow in the passes? Thanks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Three weeks Phreak? Seems slow for you. Bring your rod.
    Yeah, Sly, I'll be hiking with Doodah Man, and he's not a speed hiker. So nice and leisurely on this one!

Images

Default Why rush?

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    Yeah, Sly, I'll be hiking with Doodah Man, and he's not a speed hiker. So nice and leisurely on this one!
    Hey there Phreak, don't be spreading any rumors about old Doodah-Man here... I do so have a speed, slow is a speed. Plus, there are a bunch of peaks to bag including a couple extra 14ers besides Whitney. There will be plenty to fill those days and a little fishin' in the mix works for me... Doodah-Man

Images

Quote Originally Posted by doodah man View Post
    Hey there Phreak, don't be spreading any rumors about old Doodah-Man here... I do so have a speed, slow is a speed. Plus, there are a bunch of peaks to bag including a couple extra 14ers besides Whitney. There will be plenty to fill those days and a little fishin' in the mix works for me... Doodah-Man
    No complaints on this end. I'm looking forward to an extended trip with an easier itinerary.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I've gotta finish the AT (2013) and sem-retire (2020?) before I can get to the JMT. Let us know where you post your journal!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

++ New Posts ++