WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: monofood?

Default monofood?

can a single gloop or mix or bar of some kind sustaine and nourish and satisfie you while thruhiking the trail? i wonder because it would be neat to hike thru several stops by carrying a block of monofood. possible? pemician? gabish?
    matthewski

Images

Peanut butter mixed with honey. I have a friend who hiked about half the trail eating this. It wasn't in a block, but in jars, of course. He'd eat his veggies and whatnot in town.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Peanut butter mixed with honey. I have a friend who hiked about half the trail eating this. It wasn't in a block, but in jars, of course. He'd eat his veggies and whatnot in town.
    Did he eat exlax in towns as well ..... it would take dynamite to get a dino digestive tract moving again after several days of PB & honey.

i was thinking of seal blubber and whale meat or something. can you buy these?
    matthewski

Catskill 3500 #1575
    Images

Only $0.88 each at Tractor Supply.

http://www.duncraft.com/Peanut-Treat...Rmxq49KRNH7svE

thats good steve. mmmm insect suet. so ,...human suet is possible? im thinking bacon and lettuce? mmm bacon and lettuce suet.
    matthewski

About 20 years ago I went on a long backpacking trip and took one of the Hobbit books, maybe Lord of the Rings, and in it they carried Simla(sp?), a survival food wrapped in silver(cream cheese?), and so I always thought about finding something like simla that could sustain me.

I mixed up various concoctions of granola/pemmican, one used dried milk, honey, a stick of butter, a bag of granola, nuts, all mixed up and put in small tubs. About a week after eating it, I got a really bad headcold and sinus blowout and figured it was caused by the near constant intake of dried milk, etc. So ended a grand experiment.

Commercially available things could be Bear Valley's Pemmican bars, 3.4 oz with about 450 calories and 16 grams protein. Good for vegetarians.

Another option if you eat meat would be to mix up your own Indian style pemmican using crushed jerky(venison/buffalo/beef)mixed with animal fat and dried berries(raisins/blueberries/currants, etc).

ive thaught about pemician alot tipi. its hard to make real stuff like the indians did. and the store bought ones would be depressing to eat and probubly kill you in the end. hears a bar im into lately. it has 9 gs of protien,17 fat 4 sat fat 30 sodium 150 potassium 46 carbs 6 fiber 30 sugar
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    ive thaught about pemician alot tipi. its hard to make real stuff like the indians did. and the store bought ones would be depressing to eat and probubly kill you in the end. hears a bar im into lately. it has 9 gs of protien,17 fat 4 sat fat 30 sodium 150 potassium 46 carbs 6 fiber 30 sugar
    Wow, thanks for the ProBar link! Gotta the credit cards out for another couple of cases cuz I'm gonna give them a try. I'm tired of the Bear Valley bars, anyway.

For a long time I have wondered why a company like Purina which makes complete and balanced foods for almost every species of animal ( dog,cat monkey, etc,) hasn't made a People Chow. Imagine a dry stable food that would provide complete nutrition that could be used in emergencies, camping, etc. You could make it in a number of flavors, different textures.

Quote Originally Posted by Critterman View Post
    For a long time I have wondered why a company like Purina which makes complete and balanced foods for almost every species of animal ( dog,cat monkey, etc,) hasn't made a People Chow. Imagine a dry stable food that would provide complete nutrition that could be used in emergencies, camping, etc. You could make it in a number of flavors, different textures.
    This reminds me of a book I had about surviving a nuclear war, had designs of homemade underground shelters, making a simple geiger counter to test the air, and the best part, what foods will sustain life. I think Oak Ridge put out the book, a large format thing with plenty of pics.

In the end, they recommended a crushed/pulverized soybean meal cooked up and eaten. Or a combination of soybean and wheat berries, all crushed using a simple steel bar/pry bar to pulverize the grains. They ran extensive tests on what foods sustain life.

right on with the people chow idea. thats a frikkin million bucks if you can do it. as for exsperience eating, i mean starving on monofoods,.....i lived on ceci flour for a summer as a broke teen. its garbonzo bean flour. not hummus mix, that has other ingredients. its the heart of hummus yes, but less. for about a month while my oil held out i fryed balls of it mixed with water to make a little cooked meal turd. it tastes great and you never ever get bored of it as long as your starving. now. you must eat 14 times a day to sustain on this . after the oil ran out, i just scorched them in a skillet. they were just as good. best mono diet i ever was forced to eat.
    matthewski

Images

Default you gotta tell 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    This reminds me of a book I had about surviving a nuclear war, had designs of homemade underground shelters, making a simple geiger counter to test the air, and the best part, what foods will sustain life. I think Oak Ridge put out the book, a large format thing with plenty of pics.

In the end, they recommended a crushed/pulverized soybean meal cooked up and eaten. Or a combination of soybean and wheat berries, all crushed using a simple steel bar/pry bar to pulverize the grains. They ran extensive tests on what foods sustain life.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mip7h...eature=related

thank you for the crackers. i have eaten human fleash. im not proud of it. but its a fact. i even like it i think. and i will do it again. of course im talking about my own scabs. who hasnt? duh.

lol
    matthewski

i think this scab topic may require its own thread." do you eat human fleash?" morbid? i could have more coffie.
    matthewski

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    i think this scab topic may require its own thread." do you eat human fleash?" morbid? i could have more coffie.
    "Mr. Donner", "Mr Donner"; "party of 50. your tables are ready!"

The average American is accustomed to eating regularly and abundantly.

thats the average it says all about and for. im ubuve average. i know how to survive better than i can even belive. i cant wait till this crap comes to an end so i can relax and hunt! instead of shopping for my meat!lol
    matthewski

Images

Default Hog Butter or Homogenized Hog Warts

Back in the 60s there was a LD hiker trail food that consisted of bacon fat mixed with peanut butter and cut into squares like fudge. I tried it and found it quite tasty. I've been looking for someone who remembers this stuff to no avail. Thinking about this makes my mouth water as I write this. Which also reminds me, back during a very wet spell of hiking through the Pemigewasset Wilderness area of the White Mountains in the early eighties I used bacon fat to grease my Limmers during a break at Zealand Hut. I never knew of course, but I probably was trailed by hungry bears for days afterward. The boots did smell terrific for a long while.

hi matty
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

It is technologically possible, but would be a mistake to produce these type of foods. That's why they're not produced/manufactured. It would make people too healthy, then they start living longer, which leads to overpopulation, just too taxing on our resources. They say science will, one day, figure out the aging process and learn how to turn the biological clock back. I see nothing but problems with that technology, we think urban sprawl is bad now....
    Hikers just need to keep eating snickers. That's why they look so ragged by the end of their journey, but I think that's a good thing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++