WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default 2008 thru hiker sightings

Ran into NOBO's Giant, Caveman and Crazy Diamond today near Little Rock Knob. They were heading for Roan High Knob.

I saw Giant and Crazy Diamond on way to Roan High and helped to feed them also. We enjoyed a great night with a group of section hikers from Alabama. They were in for a stiff breeze on the balds tho. It had to be 40-50 mph winds at Carver's Gap by the time we got there.

I assume that's a pink floyd reference.

Images

Ran into Just Jim (NOBO) at Neels Gap on 2/9

Quote Originally Posted by spittinpigeon View Post
    I assume that's a pink floyd reference.
    never assume, son

Images

I have had around 20 come thru Franklin as of 2/17/08 --Pirate said last Sunday that 29 total had passed Neels Gap this year.That was 2/10/08

It's windy and raining hard right now. 75 mph on the mountain tops. Here's a link to the anemometers on Beech Mountain near Hump and Roan. http://averyweather.com/Weather+Graphics/Beech+Wind

Images

Spent a zero on 2/17 in Knoxville with Stormennorm, Water Bear, Vagus, and the Odd Couple, dropped them off at Newfound Gap this morning. They were headed for Tri Corner Knob shelter tonight and hoping to be at Standing Bear tomorrow night.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Cherry Gap Shelter

Ran into Tabasco at Cherry Gap Shelter on Feb 21
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

the first 2 NOBOs to hit damascus arrived yesterday. met 'em at Dot's of course. Giant and Crazy Diamond. coupla boys from Philly

Journal Entries
    Images

I wondered who would be the first to start this thread...

The first 'Class of 2008' sighting for me was....... ........SGT Rock.....I hiked in from TN91 about 2.5 miles until I saw him, turned around and hiked back to TN91 with him. It was about 39F, raining/freezing rain/sleet/hail/whatever...supposed to snow tomorrow...

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

PS. I saw him yesterday, also.

I got dropped off at Amicalola falls March 1st and was lucky enough to meet up and hike a couple days with many WB'ers this past weekend. I saw Kirby on Springer, kicked back enjoying the sun. I hiked all sunday with Wrongway, Chief Daddy and his dog (Chief), Solace and his twin brother KTR, and I saw plenty more I'm probably forgetting. I hiked with them until Woody Gap, where I got off trail at hwy 60. They were heading for Neels gap today (Monday), about 11 or so miles I think.
    "...Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation." -Blind Seer, O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Images

I ran into a bunch of 2008ers this weekend while I was hiking clockwise around the Standing Indian loop. What is pretty shocking is that, of the 8 NOBO we met north of Albert Mtn., only one had actually hiked over the mountain. The rest had taken the blue-blazed route.

How do I know this? The ground was covered with snow and the footprints told the tale.

I am no purist but I was fairly shocked. How can one miss one of the storied mountains of the southern Trail?

One person we were talking to when we stopped briefly at Big Spring Shelter said she had heard Albert Mtn. was very dangerous, and she marvelled that we planned to hike it in this weather. Dangerous? With an inch of snow that hadn't even stuck to the rocks?
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I'm afraid that bypassing Albert Mt. is just a sign of the times. I find that more people in our 'comfort by any means' culture are taking the easiest or the quickest way out, which I consider the root cause of credit card indebtedness, foreclosures and personal bankruptcies along with violence, greed and substance abuse.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    I ran into a bunch of 2008ers this weekend while I was hiking clockwise around the Standing Indian loop. What is pretty shocking is that, of the 8 NOBO we met north of Albert Mtn., only one had actually hiked over the mountain. The rest had taken the blue-blazed route.

How do I know this? The ground was covered with snow and the footprints told the tale.

I am no purist but I was fairly shocked. How can one miss one of the storied mountains of the southern Trail?

One person we were talking to when we stopped briefly at Big Spring Shelter said she had heard Albert Mtn. was very dangerous, and she marvelled that we planned to hike it in this weather. Dangerous? With an inch of snow that hadn't even stuck to the rocks?
    Albert Mountain, in the rain, was one of my first real pride moments. The narrow approach and then the climb. Once I finished that, I knew I could do pretty much anything.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

anyone seen (Low Impact) out there?

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle View Post
    I'm afraid that bypassing Albert Mt. is just a sign of the times. I find that more people in our 'comfort by any means' culture are taking the easiest or the quickest way out, which I consider the root cause of credit card indebtedness, foreclosures and personal bankruptcies along with violence, greed and substance abuse.

I understand what you're saying but aren't you using a rather broad paintbrush?

I see a lot of folks with credit card debt and it's not always because of taking the easy way out...a lot of them suffer from the "creep" a credit card holder incurs by only paying a minimum amount each month. I think with a lot of folks its a lack of understanding in how to manage assets and debt properly. There is not much financial literacy amongst our young people about these kinds of debt instruments and the way to use them effectively.

I ran into Tabasco at the Thomas Knob shelter in Virginia (Mount Rogers / Grayson area) on March 7th.

Albert mountain bypass must be because of the Bryson-Katz blue blaze in the snow.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle View Post
    amen ..............

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++