WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

Very few good tent sites near the shelter. The privy was new with a toilet seat(thought it was funny that even in the woods, the men still left the seat up) I don't recall there being bear cables.

no bear cables new privy which is nice, no tent spots water is good. but continue on to cheoah bald it is great, cant beat it just get water before hand

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

There is a small, clear spring below Cheoah Bald, but it's a maybe half a mile downhill. Go downhill to a woods road near the center. You'll see a sign to your left about 9 feet high, with a trail blazed with plastic multi-colored ties. I think it's called Mudgap Spring; looks better than it sounds.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I was at this shelter Tues. nite! I hammock camped so can't speak to the mice issue. Not many places to set up a tent but the water source is very close and accessible!
    Unfortunately some inconsiderate hikers have left vast amounts of trash everywhere! It saddens me to see how some people have so little respect for the trail! Makes me wonder why they're out there in the first place!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    I was at this shelter Tues. nite! I hammock camped so can't speak to the mice issue. Not many places to set up a tent but the water source is very close and accessible!
    Unfortunately some inconsiderate hikers have left vast amounts of trash everywhere! It saddens me to see how some people have so little respect for the trail! Makes me wonder why they're out there in the first place!
    Can you hammock camp in the shelter?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++