WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: The blade on my cutting utensil is .....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Former Admin

Default The blade on my cutting utensil is .....

?

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

plastic lexan. Never really used my little buck knife so it went home in 01, never missed it this past summer. HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Knife the tool?

Strange how time has changed. And strange how time has changed our point of view. A knife is still but a knife, just our perception of its use has changed! I guess it's no longer just a tool!

I am old enough to remember a time in the rural south when every young male carried a Barlow pocket knife with him everywhere, every day, including to church and school. It was a necessary tool to have, at a time when he had no watch and needed none. It was also a time when the house he lived in either had no lock or was never locked as he cannot ever remember having a key to it, or needing one. More importantly, any youthful, male altercation would be finalized without ever that Barlow being drawn in anger, for he knew that doing so, would result in the real beating taking place the moment he arrived at home. And he knew that one day, when older, he might drive a ragged pickup to school,just like the older boys now, and on the rear window would be mounted the ever-present gun rack with maybe a shotgun or rifle or both, always hanging there, in plain sight.

That shotgun, rifle, and Barlow knife in the pocket were all just tools then. Time has made them something else. And that is sad.
    Last edited by highway; 10-12-2002 at 08:43.

Default a pocketknife in the pocket...

was common place for my dad and brother. Now you can go to jail if ya carry one to school. Hammock Hanger

Former Admin

I never understood those whom carry those big Buck knives, I myself carry a small Gerber with a 3 inch blade and weighs nothing. I don't see any need for anything bigger. Although I did have fun with a hikers machettee, at Sassafras Gap chopping wood on a wet cold day. A couple walked about halfway up to the shelter and saw me swinging the machette at the log and turned around and walked away. They probably thought I was nuts.

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Knife

Originally posted by admin
    I never understood those whom carry those big Buck knives, I myself carry a small Gerber with a 3 inch blade and weighs nothing.
    I have graduated to a nice little Benchmade with a pocket clip that I still carry everywhere, clipped handily just inside my right front pocket. The blade is about 3.5 inches, I guess, and it is a tool for me which I use numerous times daily. Each morning I put it inside that pocket alongside my keys and change and would feel undressed without it. It is a habit started long ago and it is one of my remaining few which my young bride hasn't stripped me of yet. I guess it hasn't occurred to her. A big Buck knife" though, would not be a very useful tool.

GA-ME 3/5/02 -8/14/02
    Images

Default Every ounce counts

For all the ultralighters out there;

Just had to laugh at the knife "weighs nothing" comment: A hostel owner we stayed with this past year gave us valuable advice: IF you throw it in the air, and it falls to the earth, it weighs SOMETHING. every ounce counts :-)
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door...if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."-The Hobbit

I haven't carried a knife in years...just something I have never really needed, find nailclippers and scissors more handy. Although trying to slice a bagel in two with a tiny pair of scissors might make some good trail entertainment for those watching.

I carry a tiny swiss army knife that I got from work of all places. Has a small blade (about 1.5" usable blade), sissors, toothpick, tweezers, and file/screwdriver. About 2 oz. and everything I need, plus easier to keep up with. Used to carry a monster, but never used it much. A little saw was much better for cutting wood, but the push in and burn method works just as well.

Default super-small swiss army knife

I use the super small swiss army knife. It also has sciccors that I use for nail trimming/nose hair trimming (HA), my pen, and a red LED, which I only use when necissary. I guess if I was a hardcore ultralighter I would use the light as my only sources...

Gravity Man

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

I don't carry a knife anymore...I carry a pair of scissors.I find them more handy.

Default the 4-inch rapala fillet knife

...is my choice of blades. it's lite extremly sharp flexible and it gots a purdy birch handle. it gets used every day on the trail and i like it so much i havnot weighed it.
    SEMPER PARATUS

A single edge razor blade, which fits in a plastic film canister (along with needle and thread and a few other items). I don't need a buck knife and it's hard to beat a razor blade for weight.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

single edge razor blade...Great Idea!

Exclamation

Guess I can forget that big Leatherman tool kit I was planning to carry- CeeJay 2003-Newbie

Smile 2 actually

I have carried a pocket knife with me everyday since I was 12, now at 23 I feel naked without it. Also, whenever I go hiking, or hunting or just about anything in the great outdoors I carry a Glock Field Knife. Its a habit I got from my grandfather and my father of never being in the woods without a "good sized" blade. I've used it for digging firepits, making walking sticks from fallen timber, and cutting marshmellow roasting sticks, and a host of other uses. I can't imagine going on a AT Thru without taking it along.

Easy, I also carry a Gerber 3 1/4, with a serrated inside. I wrench and janitor, so I need an all around chunk of metal for various purposes, I've cut through metal packing strap with the serrated part and it still cuts. It does wiegh Something, but not enough to part with my trusty chunk o' metal. The testosterone poisoned part of me has practiced the one handed blade flick, so James Dean better watch out!

GA-ME 3/5/02 -8/14/02
    Images

We carried the Leatherman micra which worked well for most things, but had a pathetically small knife for such things as peanut butter spreading. In June, my husband got a carbon fiber CRKT (Columbia River) M16-11F knife with a 3 inch blade for his birthday, and it did the trick nicely. It's really lightweight, has a good size blade that is half serrated and hald smooth, and a belt clip.

Good luck!
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door...if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."-The Hobbit

A Leatherman Wave.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

In my first aid kit I carry a small Swiss Army w/ knife, toohpick etc. and that is the only one in my pack. Every other day of my adult life I've have carried a 3" "stockman" knife, for the last ten or so years it's been a Gerber. The ten or so before that a Scherade. Both have three blades, sharp, sharper and sharpest! As my jeans show it is kept in the left frount pocket. It never fails to amuse me of the amount of folks that need a knife on a daily basis, opening boxes etc., yet have none when needed. As I reach for mine to help I always bost "Ahh your Parole Officer dosen't allow you to carry a knife" and as I fold and put it away proclaim " A gentleman always carrys a knife". It always there, ready to pry off a bottle top at moments notice. I'm realy atached to my knife, my friend, I may need help...
    The Older I Get The Better I Was.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++