WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Is trail magic a good thing?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Default Trail Magic (multiple answers allowed)

Poll coming

Maybe you should define "trail magic".

Images

I'm going to leave the definition of trail magic to the voters. I personally don't consider some of the huge organized feeds to be trail magic, but I know many do. I don't consider donations to hostels to be trail magic, but I know some others do. I don't consider doing trail maintenance to be trail magic, but I know some do.

Vote according to whatever you personally feel is trail magic.

Should have a line for "I do trail magic without planning"

Somebody voted yes trail magic is good and no it is bad. 'Fess up.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Mixed feelings are welcome in the tread, but I do hope the voter will explain.

I especially like trail magic in the form of adult beverages

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Me. Some trail magic is good, some is bad, multiple votes allowed. I have seen all kinds of garbage and food along with burning coals left behind to jugs of water tied to a tree in a long dry stretch. Campers and tents on top of a mountain to provide pancakes and a family giving a muddy, wet hiker a ride into town in a storm in their Lexus. People baiting religious traps with food and a one-man hostel on church grounds.

Merry Hikester

Before the naysayers jump in, I just want to say that there is nothing wrong with doing something nice for someone you have never met before. If more people had this outlook the world would be a better place. Hold the door open for someone, say hello to a stranger on the street, help someon in need. Love not fear!
    Disclaimer: I didn't mean that......I realy love you all.

Haha good answer Tater. Just checking.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

In the "new subscription" thread, a little drift led to the following:

Originally Posted by The Weasel
    Minn -

TM for newbies isn't a bad thing. It helps support them at a time when they need it as much as they will later, in different ways. Thanks for doing so.

TW

no hiker ever NEEDS trail magic

Lone Wolf

-----

I rather think Trail Magic is essential, as long as it's not overdone. I'll leave aside times when it is critical, such as water caches by roads when water supplies are slim on the trail ahead. But other times, especially when you are new to long distance hiking - and particularly, alone - it can restore your spirits and make you feel far less lonely. That doesn't mean necessarily that the huge feasts are the best idea (but they're not bad, as long as there isn't some hidden agenda behind them, in which case, they're intrusive, I think). Sometimes it's just someone stopping by the trail at a road crossing and offering you a cold soda. Other times it might be finding a pack of "wipes" to clean your face a bit. Ice water.

Mainly, what TM does is provide a bit of direct or indirect human contact that says, "What you're doing is cool. Don't stop doing it." That kind of approval can make the next miles far easier, and stay in your mind even longer. And for "newbies", it can make all the difference between saying, "Ah, screw it. I'm going home" and "Yeah, this is neat, I'm going to keep going."

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Spontaneous acts of kindness are good, but without specifying what's meant by trail magic I can't and won't answer, nor will the results mean anything.
    Last edited by emerald; 02-20-2008 at 13:20.

Images

Is MS in the house? I want to hear about the TM you did in GA last month. You briefly mentioned it in the new subscriptions thread. Did you post a report here on WB? I'm interested in hearing about it. PM me if necessary. I had the best time of my life doing TM (for all hikers who showed).The downside is the lame negative comments from a few people on this website.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel
    I'll leave aside times when it [trail magic] is critical, such as water caches by roads when water supplies are slim on the trail ahead.
    It's been many years since my traditional A.T. through hike, but I don't recall the need for any assistance obtaining water. I'd add I believe it was a drier than normal year too.
    Last edited by emerald; 02-20-2008 at 13:21.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Spontaneous acts of kindness that benefit others are good, but without specifying what's meant by trail magic I can't and won't answer, nor will the results mean anything.
    Feel free to discuss this in the thread - I started the poll to discuss these sorts of issues.

Merry Hikester

Trail magic (to me) can be anything from the perfect sunset to the simple kindness of a stranger to stimulating conversation to good friends to the feeling you get when you wake in the woods to the majesty of nature. It's all a gift, from the universe to you.
    Disclaimer: I didn't mean that......I realy love you all.

Quote Originally Posted by hobojoe View Post
    Trail magic (to me) can be anything from the perfect sunset to the simple kindness of a stranger to stimulating conversation to good friends to the feeling you get when you wake in the woods to the majesty of nature. It's all a gift, from the universe to you.
    What, if anything, would you consider to NOT be "trail magic"?

Default No, Gray Blazer, I haven't said much about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Is MS in the house? I want to hear about the TM you did in GA last month. You briefly mentioned it in the new subscriptions thread. Did you post a report here on WB? I'm interested in hearing about it. PM me if necessary. I had the best time of my life doing TM (for all hikers who showed).The downside is the lame negative comments from a few people on this website.
    I did say this on another thread, only as a defense against being called so cheap I was bad for the Trail.

"Only about half of it was food. The rest was stuff that A) will be useful for more than one season of hikers, and B) was in part for the spirit, not the gut."

I sent large care packages to all three primary Georgia AT hostel that contained 2-4 different categories of stuff, depending on the unique characteristics of the destination. They arrived between Feb. 13-14. I called all three hostels and found that A) they did arrive, and B) were accepted enthusiastically and without reservation as very appropriate to help out passing hikers. When I called the Blueberry Patch to check on safe arrival, I was told me it was the largest TM care package they'd ever received.

About half a dozen WhiteBlaze members I've remained fairly close to know the full story in detail.

I'll let word from the Trail percolate up as to how helpful the TM I did was without any more promoting, other than to say I intend to do still more later this year.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Feel free to discuss this in the thread - I started the poll to discuss these sorts of issues.
    How is abandoning property any different from littering? I don't make a distinction. I wonder and doubt whether applicable laws do?

Doesn't ATC already have a position on this issue? Maybe someone should post their position.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    It's been many years since my traditional A.T. through hike, but I don't recall the need for any assistance obtaining water. I'd add I believe it was a drier than normal year too.
    I hiked in a so called "dry year" myself and I never had any problems getting water. Its called "planning ahead" and not "hoping" that someone is going to leave a jug of water by the side of the road.

Truth be told, most "pre-planned" trail magic is for the ego of the giver, not for the benefit of the receiver.

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++