WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gear List

Default Gear List

I'm looking for some help lighting my load a bit. Heres what I got, any suggestions. I've estimated some of the weights and including guesses for stuff I don't have yet I'm looking at about 15 lbs base weight.

Pack - ULA Catalyst, 46 oz
    Pack Cover - ULA, 2.5 oz
    Shelter - Gossamer Gear The One, 19 oz
    Sleeping Bag - Western Mountaineering Summerlite, 19 oz
    Pad - not sure yet
    Hydration - 100oz resevoir & Nalgene, 8.5 oz
    Water Filter - Inline, 3.5 oz
    Stove - Coleman Exponent F1 Ultralight, 2.5 oz
    Pot - basic, 7 oz
    Lighter - Bic, 1 oz
    Headlamp - Petzl Tikka+, 3 oz
    Knife - Leatherman Squirt P4, 1.5 oz
    Rain Jacket - LL Bean Goretex, 18.5 oz
    Rain Pants - Sierra Designs Hurricane LT, 7 oz
    Liner Gloves - Campmor, 1 oz
    3 pairs of Socks - Darn Tough Merino, not sure on weight
    LS Shirt - polypro, 7 oz
    2 SS Shirt - not sure on weight
    Winter Hat - wool, 1.5 oz
    Long Underwear - Hot Chillies, 6.5 oz

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

A 32 degree bag is not a low enough rating for a start in March or April. Stuff I didn't see - Jacket for cold weather, hiking pants (convertible ones will take care of shorts which you should have), you only need one short sleeve shirt until summer, First Aid including sunscreen, Bear bagging, stuff sacks, library (guidebook, maps, journal, pen etc), eating utensil

Camera?
    Cell phone?
    Camp shoes?
    Underwear?

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I'm knida weird. The 32 deg bag keeps me plenty warm into the high teens if I wear a good base layer. I forgot to list my fleece shirt. That combind with my rain coat wil be my cold weather defense. I do have some zip off pants to wear.

Camera?
    Don't have one yet, I have my eye on eBay looking for a deal.

Cell phone?
    Don't own one, don't want one.

Camp shoes?
    I have some crocs.

Underwear?[/QUOTE]
    2 pairs of Duofold Boxer Briefs.

If you want to lighten your load, look at ditching the Nalgene for a Gatorade or similar bottle (Aquafina, juice), the lightest sleeping pad you can find, like a short Z-lite, go with a cat stove. How much lighter do you want to get? Even with all the little stuff, you're probably still under 20 lbs.

Images

You're young enough for a 3/4-length Z-rest or Ridgerest. The stove is fine. Aqua Fina quart bottles are way lighter and cheaper than Nalgene.

Any $150 digital camera at the local Mall-Wart will be fine. Buy a spare card and battery, and make sure the charger is small and lightweight.

Other stuff: ear plugs, minor first-aid/blister pads, food bag and rope, journal, map and guidebook pages, a spoon, a couple of bandanas, Vitamin I, a hat with a brim (ballcap).
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Good list, IMO. The sleeping bag might be a bit marginal, if you're starting before April. But in a tent, and with a base layer on, you might get by. How about a tiny keychain compass... and a small camera? Also, a small pad and pen/pencil. Pay attention to BigCranky's posts. He knows his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    You're young enough for a 3/4-length Z-rest or Ridgerest. The stove is fine. Aqua Fina quart bottles are way lighter and cheaper than Nalgene.

Any $150 digital camera at the local Mall-Wart will be fine. Buy a spare card and battery, and make sure the charger is small and lightweight.

Other stuff: ear plugs, minor first-aid/blister pads, food bag and rope, journal, map and guidebook pages, a spoon, a couple of bandanas, Vitamin I, a hat with a brim (ballcap).
    I'd spring for the full ridgerest, only 5oz heavier, the Z-rest is cool, but it has a low R-value. Look up the PCT bear-bag method and get Gossamer Gear's 725# cord for your bear bag. Cranky's hat idea is a winner, it keeps the rain out of your face with your rain jacket hood on, esp so if you wear glasses. I have a quick dry supplex one. I would add a synthetic vest like an OR or Patagonia puffball, stuff some polypro glove liners in the pocket.

Images

For a pad, the Gossamergear Nightlight has worked well for me. I use torso length, might want a bit more early-on.

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/...ght_torso.html

Alcohol Stove will shave a couple of oz. would have to evaluate fuel tho. Keep in mind you will always be carrying the cannister wt.

Froggtoggs will be much lighter for your rain gear. They work very well - best waterproof/breathable I've used. Not as durable as other options, but cheap to replace if needed. They generally hold up well.

Looks like you've done a bit of research already.

Have you used The One yet? I just ordered one, but haven't received it yet, maybe today? :-) How do you like it so far?

Journal Entries
    Images

In addition to what has been mentioned already, some observations:

lighter pot (3 cup aluminum non-stick)
    needle for draining blisters
    radio/mp3 player
    fuel to go with the stove
    hand sanitizer
    TP
    toothbrush and paste
    whistle
    duct tape

And, of course, ID/atm/credit cards and a phone card with your important phone #s.

Might not have helped to 'lighten' your load, but hope it helps...

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

PS. Be 100% positive that you will be warm with that sleeping bag. As Blissful mentioned, 32F bag might not be warm enough in Mar/Apr on the AT (if that is your intent). There is not much room for error in the middle of the woods, except maybe spending another $300 for a warmer sleeping bag at Neels Gap...(also realize that your 'base layer' might get wet during the day rendering it about useless at night).

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    For a pad, the Gossamergear Nightlight has worked well for me. I use torso length, might want a bit more early-on.

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/...ght_torso.html

Alcohol Stove will shave a couple of oz. would have to evaluate fuel tho. Keep in mind you will always be carrying the cannister wt.

Froggtoggs will be much lighter for your rain gear. They work very well - best waterproof/breathable I've used. Not as durable as other options, but cheap to replace if needed. They generally hold up well.

Looks like you've done a bit of research already.

Have you used The One yet? I just ordered one, but haven't received it yet, maybe today? :-) How do you like it so far?
    Sierra Trading has Frog Toggs on sale now, many like them, I have no experience. If you haven't made a rain gear purchase yet I'd go with Marmot precip, jacket and pants. Alcohol stoves work well, but they have a slight learning curve, the easiest, simplest I've tried is the White Box.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    (also realize that your 'base layer' might get wet during the day rendering it about useless at night).
    If I were starting in March from Springer, I'd maybe carry two base layers, one for hiking, one for camp. The "camp" pair stays dry at all costs. One pair might be polypro/capilene, the other silk (to save weight). In terms of "warmth provided per unit weight" nothing beats a polypro base layer.

Default Gear List

You can shave off some weight by replacing your rain coat is a Celestial Jacket from Outdoor research. It's made out of Paclite (Gore-Tex) and weighs 9.8 oz. It's also a superior design for backpackers.

Also, if you're hiking in March/April, I'd consider adding a light weight synthetic insulation layer like the Cocoon UL Vest. It weights under 6oz and will keep your core warm in the morning and at night in your bag. Bozeman mountain works sells them and you can also buy them at Backpackinglight.com.

Check out my gear list link - I have both and have written reviews for them on my blog.

Thanks for the suggestions folks I don't really need to get lighter, I was just seeing if there were any obvious spots to trim some weight. I'll be looking into Frog Toggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    It should be here in a few hours. I'm going to shovel out a spot for it in the yard to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by blank View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions folks I don't really need to get lighter, I was just seeing if there were any obvious spots to trim some weight. I'll be looking into Frog Toggs.

It should be here in a few hours. I'm going to shovel out a spot for it in the yard to give it a try.
    The last reviewer of the Six Moon Lunar Solo at Six Moon's website stated that he placed his full length Ridge Rest UNDER his shelter floor when he set the tent up. That might be something for you to try with your One. Sounds like he is a softie (like me) and also used a short Prolite 3 inside the tent.

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    The last reviewer of the Six Moon Lunar Solo at Six Moon's website stated that he placed his full length Ridge Rest UNDER his shelter floor when he set the tent up. That might be something for you to try with your One. Sounds like he is a softie (like me) and also used a short Prolite 3 inside the tent.
    Not a bad idea. I'll probably try putting it between the groundsheet and the tent floor. Should help with any durability issues that might arise.

Images

Regarding your sleeping bag rating, you may wish to investigate a bag liner. They are light, relatively inexpensive and will drop your rating 8-15 deg. depending upon which one you choose. You'll probably only need it for 4-6 weeks, but some folks use them the entire time, because they are machine washable and help keep the funk out of the bag.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

I agree. Get a silk liner.. Also look into getting an alcohol stove too, You will probaly end up carrying two cannisters.. With alcohol you have more control..

List looks fairly well dialed-in! I'd consider keeping your stove man. I've never quite understood the fascination with alky stoves. For the (maybe) one or two ounce weight savings I don't know why anyone would want to fool with one.

Definitely get a lighter pot. If you're doing boil-in-the bag meals, all you'll need is a Ti cup, like the Snowpeak 600. With a foil lid, you've shaved a quarter pound of weight. Plus, you can nest a 110g fuel canister and your stove in there without any trail music (clink...clunk).

For baselayer tops, I prefer merino wool over poly, but that's just me. Definitely get a lofted jacket or vest of some sort. I'd go with a full jacket or pullover, like the Montbell Thermawrap or Patagonia Micropuff. With that, you should be ok with the Summerlight unless temps fall into the low teens. You might be uncomfortable for a few nights, but you'll live. Just make sure you've got good R value with your pad. Carrying an 1/8" Gossamer Gear thinlight would be good extra insurance early on.

I don't see the need for more than 2 pairs of socks.

Ditch the Leatherman. I doubt you'll use it. A little .7 oz Swiss Army knife will get you by fine.

As already suggested, a minimal first aid kit (butterfly closures, meds, blister stuff, superglue). Carry some emergency fire starting stuff and a whistle. Don't know if you need sunscreen on the AT but bug dope is a must after April/May-ish. Consider a headnet for summer.

I find a small microfiber towel indispensable.

I often use a visor instead of a full hat...saves a few ounces and its more comfortable for me in the heat.

Ditch the rain jacket and pants and get a few pairs of Dropstoppers. I think the company that owns Frogg Toggs bought Dropstoppers and I'm not sure what's going on with the production of these, but they're getting hard to find. In my opinion, they're the best option for backpacking rain gear...unless you're a packa/poncho guy.

I'd ditch the pack cover and go with a trash compactor bag pack liner. Brian's (ULA) packs are fairly weather resistant anyway. If you're paranoid, get a silnylon drybag style stuffsack for your bag and clothes. Sea to Summit makes decent ones.

Most importantly, when you get a few days where weather conditions are horrible for hiking and give everything a test run. Have fun!
    If you don't do it this year, you'll just be one year older when you do - Warren Miller

There have been many studies on WB on alchy vs cannister...Sgt Rock is probably the expert on this.. Anyway I looked at it comparing the Pocket Rocket and an alchy and figured since I had to carry the extra cannister(because you really never knew when it was going to run out) that I could save on average about 5 oz.. which I thought was significant..

It all kinda evens out. With alcohol, the stove is light but the fuel is heavy (for the equivalent BTU output.) With canisters, the dead weight is in the steel canister itself. So if you consider stove plus fuel, it evens out. Alcohol "wins" for short resupply intervals, but canisters win for longer intervals. White gas wins for very long resupply intervals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++