WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Outdated map sets?

Does anyone have an opinion as to how outdated a set of trail maps from ~'92 would be?

How many major re-routes have there been?

I'd like to scan the maps in for quick reference on my camera but would prefer not wasting time if they are too far off the mark.

IMO, '92 is too old. Most likely the trail routing is 95% correct, but that last 5% will bite you. There have been lots of changes in shelters -- new ones built, old ones torn down, some "relocated." You could always chance it and follow the white blazes... but I wouldn't.

I just hiked Springer to Neels Gap with maps from 1995. They were a pain. The new Gooch shelter wasen't on them neither was Woods Hole.

Images

You never know what the Trail has endured over the years, Whether it be re-routes,extreme weather,etc. You always need current maps and info.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

For Tennesse, there are some major re-routes.

Campbell Hollow to Elk River to Walnut Mtn Road.
    Pond Flats on Pond Mountain.
    Watauga Lake
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Default New maps are outdated as well

I bought new maps for my thru last year and some of the "new" maps were still 5 years old so there were a few surprises. You just need to deal with them, For example the shelter just north of Max Patch was relocated several years ago. The signs along the trail still gave the distance to the old one which was a few miles further north. Wingfoot's book gave the distance to the new one as about a mile further south than it really was and I think the map still showed the old one.

Everything you have is a general guide you just need to learn to go with the flow. Some days you will swear a shelter is 5 miles closer other days 10 miles further. You will sail over some mountains and struggle over some hills and water will hardly ever be where books, maps, signs, or people tell you it is.

enjoy the adventure for that is what it is.
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

I used my '90 maps on a VT section in 2002. That's when I finally decided to update. It just got to be too much of a hassle dealing with the changes and relocations. I suppose an old map is better than no map at all.... but I'm not even sure of that any more. No map is 100% accurate, but the underlying reality is constantly changing.

Frame them.

Thanks for all of the input.

Shelter location isn't a priority (I stop in and cook/nap/read when one is handy)-- more looking for the road crossings, nearby roads & water sources in relation to the trail.

The data book & blazes serve me well. I would like to have a topo available in the event I need to make a bee line, though. If the trail has re-located to different ridge lines, they may end up being worse than nothing...

Maps purchased in '92 probably don't show much of the Cumberland Valley relocation. Near the south end of the Valley the Trail moved almost three miles. Look at your PATC Map 1 and see if the trail on that map goes through Boiling Springs or not.

It might be around then that the Trail switched ridgelines south of Caledonia S.P. (US 30 in PA) The old trail is a blue blaze and will get you there.

Between Rausch Gap and Swatara Gap in PA was an over-a-mile sideways change in route that didn't get correctly captured until the 2004 edition KTA map.

The 1990 maps of PA were horrible. The latest maps of PA are excellent. I forgot all about the Cumberland relo....

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    The 1990 maps of PA were horrible. The latest maps of PA are excellent. I forgot all about the Cumberland relo....
    Heck, I wasn't even going to go THERE (even Bryson did...) but yes, the revised KTA maps from the Susquehanna River north to NJ are much better than what would be in a '92 map set.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I used a 1980s map in Virginia from Maupin Field to Waynesboro and of course it neglected to mention the extra five miles beyond Humpback Rocks and the new shelter Paul C Wolf. A rude awakening.

Get maps at least in the 21st century or better.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Yeah, get newer info. Even with 2005 I get really frustrated with things that are outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I used a 1980s map in Virginia from Maupin Field to Waynesboro and of course it neglected to mention the extra five miles beyond Humpback Rocks and the new shelter Paul C Wolf. A rude awakening.
    Beautiful site, beautiful shelter. But only about 5 miles from Rockfish Gap, which (IMO) diminishes its usefulness a bit (what with Waynesboro being a very popular town stop.)

Again, thanks for all of the input.

I decided to buy Delorme's topo software and permanently retire the maps.

Images

For showing topography and other natural points of interest, old maps are okay, but anything that's man-made can change - sometimes suddenly! In this case, old maps can be a curse...and leave you cursing!

"When in doubt - follow the blazes!"

Images

I used old maps for our section, just to show the gang the elevation, names of "Big Butt Mtn" name of gap and the day's route, but supplemented from this site and the ATC internet site for the inevitable changes on shelter campsite info, water since it was dry last year and re routes. I worte the changes on a piece of paper and put it in the plastic with the 2 maps of our sections. Worked great and I was the mapper for our section. We found the blazes to be just fine, but have heard that this is not always the case, so were prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad94 View Post
    I decided to buy Delorme's topo software and permanently retire the maps.
    Just like the maps, the software is only as good as the data that goes into it.

In the 90's I moved to Boiling Springs, PA. I looked in the DeLorme Atlas, saw the dotted line track it had for the A.T., and said: "Wow, neat, the Appalachian Trail goes right through the next town!" Now, residents in the old town B.S. have to pick up their mail at the Post Office, no delivery. I started wondering what the white marks were on the poles within a couple of days, then I peered across the street from the P.O. and tried to make out the lettering on a routed sign by the cottage next to the lake. So I stopped in there and learned a few things.

The A.T. maps have two great advantages over software: 1. Someone who cares about the A.T. made the map and had some interest in making sure it was accurate at the time; and 2. For most of the A.T., the proceeds from map sales go to the organizations charged with maintaining the A.T., and form an important part of their income.

There's a problem there: eventually the electronic gizmos will be reliable enough (or considered so by enough people) that map revenue will die; where, then, will the funds come from??
    Last edited by ki0eh; 02-23-2008 at 19:19. Reason: clarification

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad94 View Post
    Does anyone have an opinion as to how outdated a set of trail maps from ~'92 would be?

How many major re-routes have there been?

I'd like to scan the maps in for quick reference on my camera but would prefer not wasting time if they are too far off the mark.
    The only thing outdated maps are good are to use as posters. We put ours up as illustrations of were we have hiked before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++