WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    I completely agree with this. Theres something about being looked at as food that is kinda odd....

Third. I got eyeballed by a peregrine that floated by a couple of times. I remember the chill the eye gave me and was glad no one saw me hold my arms out. (Big sissy was trying to look larger. Something about the eye, and the way it appraised me.)

A jaguar sighting, not to be confused with a panther, mountain lion, catamount, puma, or cougar sighting, would indeed be an extremely rare event in the U.S., as U can count the number of confirmed jaguar sightings on your two hands! But, it would be memorable! I hope I am wrong, but I don't expect a major comback of the big cat in the U.S. because the moment they kill a cow or a confrontation occurs between humans and jaguars that is deemed negative, some ignorant and fearful human will pick up a gun and declare them a nuisance that should be exterminated! Unless attitudes have changed and habitat is available(not likely), jaguars, will continue to share the fate of other "varmints/predators" like coyotes, wolves, bears, and mountain lions!!! Human beings are at the top of the food chain and they often have problems sharing or relinquishing that spot with/to other species!!! Thanks for the thread though!

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    Reading reports that JAGUARS are slowly moving back into the southwest (specifically Arizona and New Mexico.)

They have been confirmed in the areas since 1996, but are being seen more and more often by use of digital cameras with motion sensors.

How cool is this!?! And how cool would it be to actually see one!?!?

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/es/jaguar_management.shtml
    There was a really good show about this a while back. Discovery Channel perhaps?

Images

OH, about the jaguars? Darn, missed it!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    A jaguar sighting, not to be confused with a panther, mountain lion, catamount, puma, or cougar sighting, would indeed be an extremely rare event in the U.S., as U can count the number of confirmed jaguar sightings on your two hands!

Sigh.

If I may clarify myself yet again:

For better or worse, people interchange all the big cat names...which is why (I imagine) the sightings get mixed up in part. Kinda like lumping "bears" into one category for many people when there are major types and several sub-types in the US.

I am not arguing with anyone about the difference on a biological level...I merely saying that throughout North and South America people (incorrectly) interchange them. And why sightings get "mixed up".

That is all I meant. I hope that makes more sense. I probably should have explained myself more clearly. OTOH....man, you guys love to pick those nits.

While you are picking nits, I'll be doing this tomorrow morning: http://www.mountainzone.com/mountain...sp?fid=1251556

Last edited by Mags; 02-23-2008 at 00:22.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

OH, about the jaguars? Darn, missed it!
    There was also a segment about disproving photos of wild cats were actually domestic cats

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Sigh.

While you are picking nits, I'll be doing this tomorrow morning: http://www.mountainzone.com/mountain...sp?fid=1251556

Thanks, just throw that in our faces why dont ya....

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Thanks, just throw that in our faces why dont ya....
    If you say so....

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

all the words I want to type right now, will get filtered, just know Im thinking them!

Default No, but I saw an Ocelot

Reading reports that JAGUARS are slowly moving back into the southwest (specifically Arizona and New Mexico.)

They have been confirmed in the areas since 1996, but are being seen more and more often by use of digital cameras with motion sensors.

How cool is this!?! And how cool would it be to actually see one!?!?

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/es/jaguar_management.shtml

I have not seen a Jaguar in the wild in the US, but last year I saw an Ocelot in Saguaro National Park near Tucson, AZ. It passed in front of me about 25 yards.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Sigh.

If I may clarify myself yet again:

For better or worse, people interchange all the big cat names...which is why (I imagine) the sightings get mixed up in part. Kinda like lumping "bears" into one category for many people when there are major types and several sub-types in the US.

I am not arguing with anyone about the difference on a biological level...I merely saying that throughout North and South America people (incorrectly) interchange them. And why sightings get "mixed up".

That is all I meant. I hope that makes more sense. I probably should have explained myself more clearly. OTOH....man, you guys love to pick those nits.

Mags, my post was not aimed at U. I totally agree w/ your post - sightings R confused. U helped clarify that different names may be use for the same cat. By the way, great pic!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++