WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smile 12 Week Challenge

I have 12 weeks (84 days) available to me for my NOBO hike. I will be using maildrops & starting March 7th.

I am taking wagers on how far you all think I will make it. The one who is closest will receive a prize!

Some additional info - My packweight before food/water is ~18lbs. I am an above average hiker who will be taking it slow for the first 7 days. I will be hiking the Approach trail.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

I say make it as far as you can without killing yourself, and finish the rest at another time.

Kirby

Besides - as far as prizes go - we've mostly all got smelly used hiking shirts anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by tlw08 View Post
    I have 12 weeks (84 days) available to me for my NOBO hike. I will be using maildrops & starting March 7th.

I am taking wagers on how far you all think I will make it. The one who is closest will receive a prize!

Some additional info - My packweight before food/water is ~18lbs. I am an above average hiker who will be taking it slow for the first 7 days. I will be hiking the Approach trail.
    At certain paces suggested here you could do a flip-flop in that amount of time.

Images

okay I'ii Bite I say you'll make it to Mt washington.

Default No tricks

I'm not talking about making records, or about killing myself. I'm asking for some wagers, and the winner will take home a prize.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Depends on how fast you move, I am thinking somewhere in northern Pennsylvania, or maybe even into NJ.

Kirby

Smile

For the sake of the challenge (if you are choosing to participate) I will need specific guesses, like the one by gungho.

The closest person will win a (useful) (hiking-related) prize!

Images

The odds of you making it are directly related to your mental preparation, so let me ask you - how committed are you to making it all the way?

Images

I'll pick 15.0 miles/day x 84 days, of 1,260 miles.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Catskill 3500 #1575
    Images

Duncannon, Pa. 1135 Miles.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    The odds of you making it are directly related to your mental preparation, so let me ask you - how committed are you to making it all the way?
    OOPS - mis-read your original post. How about Hanover, NH?

I'll say Front Royal, just for jollies.

Default Personal challenge or press release?

I think it's kind of amusing that so many speedy hikers insist that it's all about a "personal challenge", yet the rest of the world always seems to know well in advance what they'll be doing.

One has to wonder how many of these speed hikes would actually be made if they remained anonymous.

My guess is not many.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    I think it's kind of amusing that so many speedy hikers insist that it's all about a "personal challenge", yet the rest of the world always seems to know well in advance what they'll be doing.

One has to wonder how many of these speed hikes would actually be made if they remained anonymous.

My guess is not many.
    I think you misread the word "challenge", Jack.

Port Clinton, Pa.

Images

Delaware Water Gap.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Actually, I know nothing about this guy's motives, so I'll retract my last post.

I wish him well, and I hope he gets as far as wants, and has fun in the process.

If he's fit, fast, stays healthy, and keeps out of towns, there's no reason why he shouldn't get to southern New England.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

Well, let's see. What do we know about the OP? He's a WB newbie, from Wisconsin, asking relatively newbie questions. Recent college grad, from the photo, looks fit. No mention of previous hiking experience, at least not on or near the AT.

Might be capable of big miles, but who knows if he'll go the distance? If he does 20 miles per day (long-term average) that puts him at Killington. I'd say that's the upper bound. Or he could be the party type, in which case his average will be considerably lower, and he'll end up in PA or NJ, or wherever...

Do I really care? Not much. Though, having launched this thread, I hope he has the courtesy to let us know, one way or another, when his hike is done...

Doesn't look like anyone has picked completion of the whole trail. So, I'll pick Katahdin.
    Of course the black flies will be tough that time of year, aye?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++