WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: bag vs pad

Images

Default bag vs pad

so i'm closing in on completing my list of things to get before i head out. the last two big items (besides my stove) are my sleeping bag and pad. one of them is going to take a hit in price. either i get a decent bag and a **** pad or i get a good pad and a **** bag. at some point down the road i'll replace said **** item w/ a decent one, but for now i have to do this for financial reasons. please don't suggest i get a mediocre of both, b/c then i'd have to replace both eventually. also, through the advise of a fellow WB member, i'll be getting a 40+ bag as i won't be doing much cold weather camping/hiking until at least next fall. so i'm likely to go w/ a 40+ and a 0+ down the road.

so what'll you have? good bag or good pad? recommendations?
    i'm 6'0 165 and sleep normal (not hot or cold)...

ps i know nothing about pads other than everyone seems to use some form of thermarest.

help me out brosefs

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikingPA View Post
    so i'm closing in on completing my list of things to get before i head out. the last two big items (besides my stove) are my sleeping bag and pad. one of them is going to take a hit in price. either i get a decent bag and a **** pad or i get a good pad and a **** bag. at some point down the road i'll replace said **** item w/ a decent one, but for now i have to do this for financial reasons. please don't suggest i get a mediocre of both, b/c then i'd have to replace both eventually. also, through the advise of a fellow WB member, i'll be getting a 40+ bag as i won't be doing much cold weather camping/hiking until at least next fall. so i'm likely to go w/ a 40+ and a 0+ down the road.

so what'll you have? good bag or good pad? recommendations?
    i'm 6'0 165 and sleep normal (not hot or cold)...

ps i know nothing about pads other than everyone seems to use some form of thermarest.

help me out brosefs
    I'm gonna jump in here real quick and then head for some sleep....
    Have you looked in Campmor for bags? They have some that go down to 30* that aren't too costly - 30* will give you a little more leeway for more 3-season camping. They are synthetic, and a little heavier than down, but if they get wet in the field, you can wring out the excess moisture, climb in and dry it out with body heat. As for pads, try the cheap blue pads at Wally World - full-length, they're (I believe) 3/8 inch thick, can be doubled up for 3/4 inches in winter weather, and are cheap enough that they get destroyed, you won't care too much.

G'night, now....

Images

$5 walmart blue pad, cut down to fit the footpring of the bag. And a WM bag. That'd be my choice, if I had it (and I really do, I just like what I already have).

Images

get a good bag and $#!% pad. bag is your primary warmth pad is just cumfort. you could die with the wrong bag. you might just be uncomfortable with a s**t pad.

first off...when are you hiking?
    A 40*+ bag will not make the cut until after mid May at the earliest.

Definitely buy the bag first. The bag will be the most expensive and the more important of the two as far as safety and comfort goes plus, the pad(even an expensive one) will be cheaper to purchase and therefore probably easier to buy when the time comes.

geek

Images

primaloft is a great insulator. I second the suggestion of a 30*

As in "dessert" not "desert"

A five dollar blue ccf pad available at the evil Walmart and cut down to size will do just fine. Get a good sleeping bag, and forget the fancy pad. Thermarests are not necessary.

Images

A cheap blue foam pad will still provide excellent insulation, though comfort will be a bit less. Your sleeping bag is NOT the place to skimp for the sake of your budget. Shop carefully online for specials and you can land a good bag for reasonable money. If you're near an REI, remember you can get 20% off any one regularly priced item during the month of March so long as you're a member. This might work out well for you.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

bag, bag, bag, bag, bag, bag

i'm seeing a recurring theme here

Images

one of the guys here suggested i go w/ a 40+ b/c a 30+ will be too hot in the summer and the 40+ can always be warmed by adding clothes. thoughts?

Images

a 30* can always be unzipped for ventilation. 40* can be a little skimpy, depending where and when. I have used a 40*down for a couple years now. haven't had a problem. If I were to do it again I would go with a synthetic primaloft 30*

Good bag, cheap pad. You can buy either or both used.

A used Thermarest 3/4 length can probably (most likely, if you ask me nice enough) be purchased for $25.00 (plus shipping)
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Good bag, cheap pad. You can buy either or both used.

A used Thermarest 3/4 length can probably (most likely, if you ask me nice enough) be purchased for $25.00 (plus shipping)
    Add a full length ridgerest to that 3/4 thermarest all you'll be padded and warm. You could still be warm (with less padding) by adding a 1/4in evazote from Gossamer Gear or Oware, this pad will keep the thermarest from being punctured.

Images

tinker why would i pay you $30 bucks when everyone here is saying i should give walmart $5? heheh

Images

ohh i reread that and i hope that didn't come off as me being a dick

Try sleeping on a blue foam pad, then try sleeping on a Thermarest. World of difference.
    You could buy a brand new Thermarest style pad cheaper if you buy an off brand. Google the terms self inflating foam pad. You might get lucky.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

No offense taken.

If it doesn't have any leaks, it's worth it. I know it says it doesn't have any leaks. My pad is worth more to me than that, since I loan it out to friends from time to time.
    Good find.

Images

jesus those pads are freaking expensive. i may just put my tent on a pile of pine needles for awhile.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++