WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default What kind of Energy bar?

Eh, so I stopped by REI this Saturday to pick up some odds and ends and happened by the Energy Food isle . I know they arn't essential for a thru-hike but seem like they may help when hiking 10+ miles a day. There is all kinds of bars, gels, shots, and crap. I have yet to taste even a power bar so I have NO idea what is edible and what tastes like ^#*!.

Any suggestions would be nice for example: are certain BRANDS, FLAVORS, better than others?
    Solid, gel, or liquid?
    Are they a waste of $$$?
    Is there a good place to buy them for less money grocery store, wally world?

Thanks for the help,

Ninja

I use the standard 'Power Bar' vanilla flavored. They are great for me about 20 minutes before a big climb. I even had hiking buddies say 'I see you had your power bar as I passed them on the climb.
    Of course they always passed me on the way back down, but power bars don't help with coordination or generally being a big, clumsy oaf.

Also, power bars in the form I get them are usually around $1.79 but you can sometimes find them at The Dollar Store for - well I can't remember the price but they're cheaper there.
    They do have a thicker, proteinier version for $2.79 but that's a little rich for my hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Also, power bars in the form I get them are usually around $1.79 but you can sometimes find them at The Dollar Store for - well I can't remember the price but they're cheaper there.
    They do have a thicker, proteinier version for $2.79 but that's a little rich for my hikes.
    thanks, got a dollar general nearby that is having a clearance sale, haha no joke. I'll check there

Snickers with almonds and a vitamin pill.

Images

I like Probars. They are ~380 cal each, organic, and sustain me for awhile. REI sells them too. My favorite online gear shop says they are going to start selling them by the case.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Cliff Bars!! Cranberry apple is my favorite!

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Snickers with almonds and a vitamin pill.
    do you have problems with the chocolate melting during the summer?

Quote Originally Posted by mosquito ninja View Post
    thanks, got a dollar general nearby that is having a clearance sale, haha no joke. I'll check there
    Just out of curiosity, what are prices like at a Dollar General clearance sale??

Images

I ate a couple of Zone Bars every day, then filled in the empty spots with candy. I got tired of the candy I bought ahead of time (too many Snickers) and ended up just buying what took my fancy in grocery and convenience stores.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by mosquito ninja View Post
    do you have problems with the chocolate melting during the summer?
    Yes, so then I eat dark chocolate M&Ms with either peanut butter-filled M&Ms or almond M&Ms mixed in. What is a power bar anyway? I tasted a couple, they taste like your worst nightmare of a candy bar made worse by being sprayed with vitamins.

Cliff bars aren't chocolate covered so they work when it is warm. I like the Cliff Builder bar even better (more protein), though it is chocolate covered. Both are available at evil, wicked Wally world.

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what are prices like at a Dollar General clearance sale??
    54 cents (tax included)

Dollar General has their own brand of peanut butter cups which are better than Reese's in my opinion. They also have their own brand of candy bars (Clover Valley, I think) that are pretty good. They have pepperoni, drink mix, all kinds of crackers (including their own brand of chicken-flavored and bacon-flavored) and many other goodies like ice cream. Most of the trail towns in the South have a Dollar General.

Images

I highly recommend BigSur bars. bigsurbars.com

Found em' only once or twice out west, hard to find, but you can order them online.

They're stupid expensive (around 3 bucks each) but they're a small meal within itself. 600+ calories, 24 grams of fat and they're absolutely delicious.

Might be a good thing to treat yourself to, or to have a family member (with money) send you along the way in a care package.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Next time you're in REI, or your local grocery store, why not buy one of each brand and find out what you like best? And if any take your fancy google the brand and you will be sure to find them cheap somewhere on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    Next time you're in REI, or your local grocery store, why not buy one of each brand and find out what you like best? And if any take your fancy google the brand and you will be sure to find them cheap somewhere on the internet.
    Yah, I may do this. just seems a bit wasteful and there are A LOT of different choices. thought I'd ask first.

detour ......

Images

Zone bars and Snickers almond.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

I like Pay Day PRO - but I don't know what they cost, my wife buys them by the case at an employee discount - so if you buy them they support my health insurance!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++