WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

I just got my shipment of http://www.matisseandjacks.com/.
    I'll let you know how they turn out after I try it this weekend. I like the fact that you can use a variety of wet ingredients. I have some leftover pumpkin puree from the fall in the freezer that I'm going to use.
    I used to be a big fan of clif bars but I can't stomach them any more. I also like PowerBar Harvest, which I find to be a good mix of carbs and protein for the calories. I've purchased them at Performance Bike which sometimes have decent sales on many of the bar varieties.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    I highly recommend BigSur bars. bigsurbars.com

Found em' only once or twice out west, hard to find, but you can order them online.

They're stupid expensive (around 3 bucks each) but they're a small meal within itself. 600+ calories, 24 grams of fat and they're absolutely delicious.

Might be a good thing to treat yourself to, or to have a family member (with money) send you along the way in a care package.
    These things are freakin' great! Definiitely expensive but very tasty!

try going to emergencyesstenials.com and look at the bars there. We used some of each variety and found them to be fine. They are less expensive than Cliff and most other bars. Remember to drink plenty of water with them!

Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice. I'm gonna go energy bar shopping this weekend and try a couple that ya'll have suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by mosquito ninja View Post
    Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice. I'm gonna go energy bar shopping this weekend and try a couple that ya'll have suggested.
    Yeah but I don't think you'll find the Soylent green ones. LOL!

--des

WWW/Pennauwelwndam Gohkos / Donating Member
    Images

Has anyone else tried the Snickers Marathon Energy or Protien Bars. What do you think of these?
    OWL

I've tried Snickers Marathon bars. In cold weather you really need to keep them next to your body or it will be a Snickers Marathon popsicle, rock hard. I guess it's the caramelly-ness of the ingredients. This also had the effect of making them extremely gooey in hot weather and they stuck to the packaging making them difficult to eat. This was a few years ago so perhaps they've changed the formulation.

Cliff bars. You can smash these babys in your pack and no worries. Other bars loose the chocolate coating or whatever if smashed. Cliff bars weigh more than the majority of the bars out there though.

Oh, let's not forget nuts. Plenty of calories, fat and even some protein. Salt, too, for those electrolites. Crunchy. Easy to store the uneaten portion. Doesn't melt when it's hot, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Owl View Post
    Has anyone else tried the Snickers Marathon Energy or Protien Bars. What do you think of these?
    I tried the protein bars and tired of them pretty quickly. I went back to the Cliff Builder bar (20gm protein, about halfway between a mega muscle bar and a snickers)

Here's another vote for Cliff and Cliff Builder bars. Read the ingredients and compare to others; basically I think they're about the best. I can get 'em around here at Kroger's for $1.39. BUT I got two dozen or more yesterday for 10 for $10. Woohoo! I usually add some others to the pack to add a little variety. Enjoy 'em.

I have not acquired a taste or positive position on ANY trail bar, as their contents for health, or health benefits are not that outstanding, based upon price, ...and the only one acceptable to my taste, is the ZONE BAR series.

They are expensive, and you might do better with another choice yourself, for a more tastefull product, and less pricey purchase !!!

It's all personal preference. I can't stand energy bars so I ate Snickers throughout the day. You gotta try em out before your hike.

Many a clif bar, powerbar, kashi (yawn), granola bars. All of em do what they's supposed to do's. However, new kid in town-found em at costco.

https://www.larabar.com/secure/index_.php

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Payday candy bars! I never hike without taking as many Paydays as I can carry. Taste great, don't melt like Snickers, as good or better energy than a energy bar....
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Funny thing. I had half an Odowalla (Chocowalla) that I had left over and ate it for dinner last night (went on a day hike yesterday). It tasted awful. Tasted like food of the gods on the trail. (Otoh, I have had some other flavors that tasted ok at work. For instance the Sweet and Salty) I think that dense taste is one that I don't really care for, but like outside where lots of things taste wonderful.

--des

I am a fan of the Clif bars that contain almonds. Gives them a better consistency IMO. However, I am fairly certain that I am just going to start bagging up some home made GORP for my day hikes. As an above poster mentioned, I will probably get more bang for the buck in regards to nutritional density.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Make your own and send them in drops when you can.

Images

Bear Valley MealPack bars
    • a balanced complete protein: all 8 essential amino acids
    • 33% of daily protein needs
    • 25% of daily calcium needs
    • vital B vitamins, iron and dietary fiber
    • natural honey and malt for quick energy
    • health benefits of soy
    • all natural ingredients: no stabilizers, additives, isolates, preservatives, refined sugars or trans fats
    • sustained energy: perfect for skiing, hiking or any sport activity
    • homebaked taste: real food for a wholesome snack or quick meal on the go
    • great value: meal-sized, 3.75-ounce bars (compare with smaller bars costing more)
    I always feel like I have more zip after eating one of these. I keep some on hand to eat for breakfast when I don't have time to eat at home.

The other good thing... or maybe not so good ... is that you need to drink a lot of water with these. It's sort of a forced hydration meal.

They used to be available in stores in my area, but now I can only find them online. The carob-cocoa & fruit-n-nut are my favorite. I also carry them when I travel. Saves spending big $ for airline or airport food.

//www.mealpack.com/
    "Blue sky at the top of the ridge means absolutely nothing." Chris Cameron

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Here's what you need...Mainstay Energy Bars

Sure..it's like carrying a brick but it's only 3 bites and 400 calories per square.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++