WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Golite Reach jacket or Marmot Precip Jacket?

I'm looking at these two rain jackets and wanted to get some feedback from users...
    Thanks,
    Blackgrass

GA->Port Clinton, PA '04 eldwayno's Avatar

Get an EMS Thunderlight... last day of the sale is today, but a waterproof breatheable jacket made with System III, for only 63.00 dollars. Well worth it, great jacket breathes well, and only weighs 14.5 ounces.

Default Red Ledge

I suggest that you also consider the Red Ledge Thunderlight jacket. 13 ounces $50 at Campmor

Like all gear, lots of good choices.

Go for the Mountain Hardwear Epic. It is light weight, and has good ventilation.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default Try em First ...

No matter which one you decide on just make sure you try it out before you make it your choice of outerwear on the trail. I say that in all seriousness. All that stuff is good but if it doesn't work for you it ain't worth the powder it would take to blow it away.

Case in point ...I started off with the Sierra Designs Peak Bagger in 2003. It had a great reputation and I was working at REI at the time so I got it at a great price. Out on the trail however, once I got caught in a heavy downpour (which was a steady diet in 2003) the outer fabric "soaked out" and the jacket doubled in weight and took a long time to dry out. I was so fed up with it that when I got to Hot Springs I bought some FrogToggs and used them all the way from there to Katahdin.

I'm not saying you should go out and buy FrogToggs but I would suggest that you really look long and hard before you leap. All that fancy GoreTex waterproof/breathable stuff sounds nice but the bottom line is that once you start hiking and generating heat there isn't a one of them that really keeps you dry and cool. In the end what meant more to me was that the jacket didn't retain water and take on added weight in the rain and that the moisture that did collect on the jacket dried out relatively fast.

Just my .02
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Default Frogg troggs

Hey Footslogger I went to their web-site pretty impresive price for the pants & the jacket, But I didn't see any where on their site where it told what the weight of the pants & jacket together were do you happen to know this?

I have had my eye on this inexpensive lightweight suit from hikelight.com but I have no clue are they worth the money or how they perform I just know that they are lightweight & inexpensive here is the link if ya wanna check it out.

http://www.hikelight.com/

the rainwear I mentioned is under clothing it's the yellow suit there called rainshield outwear it weighs 9 1/2 ozs

Blue Wolf
    "When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

I don't spend lots on rain jackets...I have a moutain hardware with pits zips.

and a lowe alpine anorak..well I have a patagonia too LOL

over the long haul I tear'em and burn'em and replace'em and don't worry about em....
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Default Rain jacket

I still use my frog toggs that I bought in 2002, used for three months on the trail, and have used on section hikes since then. Very lightweight, obviously very durable, breathable, and doubles as a great wind breaker (the hood is really helpful as the icy breezes come over the mountain).

:banana FroggToggs

Pants and Jacket 16.2 ounces

Registered Troll
    Images

What about the marmot precip, does it shed h2o without soaking it up and dry out fast.

Default Pre Cip

Quote Originally Posted by Pothead
    What about the marmot precip, does it shed h2o without soaking it up and dry out fast.
    Yes, mine appears to, but I never weighted it wet and dry, nor tried to time the drying time.

Note: Frogg Toggs have their benefits. However, they are strictly for on trail use, not off trail. They tear easily. The saying goes, that if you use Frogg Toggs, bring along the duct tape.

My solution is frogg togg bottoms, mainly because I don't wear long pants often during the warm weather, and a Pre Cip jacket.

Mrs Gorp
    Images

I have the GL Newt, not made anymore, and the Marmot Precip. IMO, the Marmot Precip is a better garmet, because of the fabric and the pit zips. While wearing the Newt in an all day cold downpour while hiking the ALT in May of 2000 I became drenched on the inside of the garmet not from sweat but from outside moisture working it's way inside. For me, the Newt was ok for sprinkles and some protection from the wind, but not in a deluge. Bought the Precip next and love it. While hiking through some torrential rains in the Smokies in March 2002 I stayed dry and was able to regulate the upper body temp with the pit zips. Maybe GL improved it's WPB fabric with the Reach but the jacket length looks short.
    Cin

Default precip

I have the Precip. I got it a couple of months ago and have only had it on the trail a couple of times. I like it a lot so far. Seems to be good in wind and rain. Be sure to try one on first if you can. The front pocket design is a little weird. It seems like they are too high on the jacket and that makes it a little uncomfortable to walk with your hand in your pockets. Of course that may not matter if you only use them for storage. I also like the hood design. I wear glasses and the hood keeps the rain off of the lenses.

Images

Default other options in rain gear

Does anyone have any experience the packa Raincoat/pack cover ?
    http://www.thepacka.com/
    Looks to be a good product and I like the idea of keeping the shoulder straps and hip belt belt dry as well.

Default The Packa

I have lots of experience with the Packa, and it rocks. By far the best garment for backpacking in cold or rainy weather. Check out the Packa reviews here at Whiteblaze.net (under gear reviews), thru-hiker.com, and backpackgeartest.org
    Links to these reviews are located on the Packa's reviews and comments page. Thanks,
    Cedar Tree

Default I agree totally about precip and GL..

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva
    I have the GL Newt, not made anymore, and the Marmot Precip. IMO, the Marmot Precip is a better garmet, because of the fabric and the pit zips. While wearing the Newt in an all day cold downpour while hiking the ALT in May of 2000 I became drenched on the inside of the garmet not from sweat but from outside moisture working it's way inside. For me, the Newt was ok for sprinkles and some protection from the wind, but not in a deluge. Bought the Precip next and love it. While hiking through some torrential rains in the Smokies in March 2002 I stayed dry and was able to regulate the upper body temp with the pit zips. Maybe GL improved it's WPB fabric with the Reach but the jacket length looks short.
    Cin
    I find my Marmot Precip better than any Gore-tex I have had. I also think GL makes their jackets and tops too short waisted. I got the C-thru top and bottom(mid-weight) a few weeks back, great stuff. Wicks better than anything I have tried thus far, including several different brands of poly-pro and capilene. But if the top was any shorter I would feel the need to add some to it. Guess they save weight this way huh ?
    Some Days Your The Bug , Some Days Your The Windshield

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'll put my vote in for Frogg Toggs also. Lightweight and cheap. They will tear given enough abuse, but you can buy a second pair and still come out ahead. The only gripes I've heard are with the hood design, which is simpler than the Marmot and doesn't turn with your head very well. Hasn't bothered me, though.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Frog Toggs. Although the hood is a bit constricting. As 'Slogger says, they do not soak up water and they dry out rapidly. Works as a windbreaker as well.

The one person I know who hiked last year with the packa loved it.

I have FroggToggs, but you need to try it on and see if it is what you want. FroggToggs are durable (I know people you used them thru-hiking a couple of seasons and they still hold up) they are light weight and not so expensive. Lots of time they have a closeout sale on discontinued colors or overstocks!
    http://www.froggtoggs.com/

I have both, like Minerva. I tend to use the Precip more though mine is the anorak style. They are both similar, but I think the Marmot is a bit thicker and probably less likely to wear under the shoulder straps of a pack. The Golite is a generous fit. It is probaly the only garmet I wear that is a Small. In rain, I use them to keep me warm rather than dry. If it is warm enough, I'll hike in rain without using rain gear. One time in the fall, I kept hiking without raingear even when a bit chilled, because I thought I might have to wear the extra layer to bed in order to keep warm and I wanted that layer to be dry. Anyway I do not think you can go wrong with either jacket. When I've used them to keep me dry, they have worked. They are great windbreakers. I use them year round. Why do I have both? My wife was using the Golite as a rain jacket at home, so I got the Precip for myself. I hiked in it as my outer layer this winter in 20 below F, not including windchill. It worked!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++