Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Images

Actually, that leads me to wonder: Is anyone considering using filter masks as they go past the fire zones? Smell is really thick in some places along the road out of Campo to SD.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Actually, that leads me to wonder: Is anyone considering using filter masks as they go past the fire zones? Smell is really thick in some places along the road out of Campo to SD.

TW
    With all of the rain we've had in the lst few months, the dust and smoke debris aren't bad at all any more. Hiking through thoses areas the first few weeks after the fires was almost unbearable. Not so bad now...

Images

Smudge -- Where are you? Rain in Laguna Beach/coast cities near us hasn't been that high. We drove back from Rosarito through Campo/Tecate just after the road was opened and it was pretty nasty.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Coolio. I will be wearing my distinctive shirt. Looks like my avatar. Be pretty hard to miss.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Smudge -- Where are you? Rain in Laguna Beach/coast cities near us hasn't been that high. We drove back from Rosarito through Campo/Tecate just after the road was opened and it was pretty nasty.

TW
    I'm in Point Loma here in San Diego, but I hunt in the Imperial valley, the lower Lagunas, La Posta, Buckman Springs, on friend's land near Ramona, around Campo, Boulevard and well, just about every piece of BLM or National Forest land between here and Yuma!!Haha!! I have close to 60 or 70 days in the field since last September so I got to watch it go from good, to REALLY REALLY bad(they closed most of the BLM and Cleveland Nat Forest in the area for a while), to mediocre to where it is now which is fairly decent.

try adventureonthepct, site almost identical to whiteblaze.

geek

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
    I'm in Point Loma here in San Diego, but I hunt in the Imperial valley, the lower Lagunas, La Posta, Buckman Springs, on friend's land near Ramona, around Campo, Boulevard and well, just about every piece of BLM or National Forest land between here and Yuma!!Haha!! I have close to 60 or 70 days in the field since last September so I got to watch it go from good, to REALLY REALLY bad(they closed most of the BLM and Cleveland Nat Forest in the area for a while), to mediocre to where it is now which is fairly decent.
    hope it doesn't get nasty/blowy/smelly when we get to the dry season.

TW

I was just in the area. It looks great, nice and green, no smell to speak of.

Images

Weasel and Mags: Be sure to say hi. I'll be at the KO for sure. We should all have a drink, maybe a Macallen (sp?) for our east-coast centric friends

Geek: I think I mighta passed you near Crabtree Meadows in the evening? Someone said it was you after we maybe passed. Would you have been there june 15th? If so, who are you Two Forty??
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Footslogger may be going too!

As I said, I'll be working the registration desk. I'll be wearing my MAGS T-shirt (made by my friends as a going away gift).

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.ph...2_itemId=14929

I am now sans beard.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Footslogger may going too!

As I said, I'll be working the registration desk. I'll be wearing my MAGS T-shirt (made by my friends as a going away gift).

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.ph...2_itemId=14929

I am now sans beard.
    Just sans beard, so you'll still have a bottle attached to your face

Unfortunately I'm gonna miss this, kinda wish that it was held later in the year, this whole danged finals being in May thing....

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Weasy is going to the KO? Maybe I'll skip it.
    Now now. I find people in the "real world" are much more likely to get along better the on the Innertubes.

I look forward to a beer with A-Train, TW and others.

re: bottle
    Hmm..maybe it is attached to me?

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.ph...2_itemId=13116
    (Gotta have the vino...)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Images

K, I'll just look for the shmuck with the champagne bottle attached to his lips and the Snickers t-shirt

Look for the guy with the old Mets baseball cap, and the coffee shop glasses.

I think class of 07' is preparing breakfast sunday(?) so we'll be slaving away early, or late, depending on how you view the night.

Hope to see Sly and Slogger too, if you guys come. We can have a mini-WB event.

The Kick Off is no Trail Days. As soon as it gets dark people get pissed off if you make the least bit of noise. It is a good source for water info.

South of Kennedy Meadows I was rained on twice. Once for two hours and once for thirty minutes.

Depending on the water report, the most water that I carried at any particular time was 6 liters. I started in long pants and long sleeves but changed to shorts and tshirt. California is weird. The death rays of the sun are unbelievable, but step into the shade and in just a few minutes you will need your jacket. If you use trekking poles I recommend sun gloves. The tops of a lot of peoples hands looked fried. They may be OK after a few weeks, but think about skin cancer 20 years from now.

If I go back to Southern CA I would carry a free standing tent. It too hard to get stakes to stay in the sand and you can't always count on having a tree to tie your tarp to. You will find that you will cowboy camp most nights.

Yogi's book is a must.

The Mojave is not as bad as people talk about. The water sources are reliable.

Take plenty of money. Hotels are expensive. Many are $100 plus. Food is expensive. Burger, Fries, a beer and tip $20-$25. Tuna in a pouch $6, Mac & Cheese $2.50. I guess what I am saying is don't expect to do it on an AT budget.

I can only speak about southern CA because I was injured and had to go home, but I had a blast. I would do it again in a heart beat. Have a great hike! Don't let things that you read or people freak you out. It's just backpacking, and you already know how to backpack.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Boudin View Post
    The Kick Off is no Trail Days. As soon as it gets dark people get pissed off if you make the least bit of noise. It is a good source for water info.

South of Kennedy Meadows I was rained on twice. Once for two hours and once for thirty minutes.

Depending on the water report, the most water that I carried at any particular time was 6 liters. I started in long pants and long sleeves but changed to shorts and tshirt. California is weird. The death rays of the sun are unbelievable, but step into the shade and in just a few minutes you will need your jacket. If you use trekking poles I recommend sun gloves. The tops of a lot of peoples hands looked fried. They may be OK after a few weeks, but think about skin cancer 20 years from now.

If I go back to Southern CA I would carry a free standing tent. It too hard to get stakes to stay in the sand and you can't always count on having a tree to tie your tarp to. You will find that you will cowboy camp most nights.

Yogi's book is a must.

The Mojave is not as bad as people talk about. The water sources are reliable.

Take plenty of money. Hotels are expensive. Many are $100 plus. Food is expensive. Burger, Fries, a beer and tip $20-$25. Tuna in a pouch $6, Mac & Cheese $2.50. I guess what I am saying is don't expect to do it on an AT budget.

I can only speak about southern CA because I was injured and had to go home, but I had a blast. I would do it again in a heart beat. Have a great hike! Don't let things that you read or people freak you out. It's just backpacking, and you already know how to backpack.
    Did I meet you and your wife at KM? You gave me a ride from the campground to general store? If so, thanks! and good luck getting back out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Boudin View Post
    California is weird. The death rays of the sun are unbelievable, but step into the shade and in just a few minutes you will need your jacket.

Haha!! How true. My brother (Snuffy Smith on WB and Cool Breeze on Trail Journals) just landed here in San Diego today. When I picked him up at the airport he was comenting on the fact that it was hot here! He flew from Jacksonville, FL this morning. We get to my house up on the Point and while standing in the shade of the big peppercorn tree in my front yard just as the sea breeze comes through and the first words out of his mouth were.. "Now I'm cold, what's with this place!!!"

Gotta love SoCal!!

We're meadering cross country over the next two weeks and then he starts his Thru-hike of the AT. I'm going to walk the first few days with him then I'm off to Hawaii for 3 years. Hopefully I can hike all of the major Islands in the 3 years I'm there. Depends on my ship's schedule.

After that it's back to San Diego and Mike and I are planning on the PCT in 2014 when I retire from the Navy!! Seems like a long ways off but I know the next 6 years will fly by like my first 14 has!!

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    K, I'll just look for the shmuck w

Have you been talking to my ex-girlfriends?
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Footslogger may be going too!

If you're "dressing your name, does that mean I should wear a pin stripe suit, rep tie and carry a briefcase? Or can I come in disguise?

TW

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    Weasel and Mags: Be sure to say hi. I'll be at the KO for sure. We should all have a drink, maybe a Macallen (sp?) for our east-coast centric friends

Geek: I think I mighta passed you near Crabtree Meadows in the evening? Someone said it was you after we maybe passed. Would you have been there june 15th? If so, who are you Two Forty??
    I was a HST/JMT northbound hiker. I arrived in Crabtree, slep until 4am, and then went up Whitney and into Lone Pine for a resupply before backtracking and heading north to Yosemite.

We probably crossed paths at some point.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++