Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

That list seems heavy, I think my stuff last time I packed was a total of 16lbs base, and thats with a gregory whitney. Follow the suggestions.

On a side note, when anyone recommend a cover sheet for my tarptent in the desert? Not sure about the thorny's and would like to have the floor in good condition after the hike is over.

Quote Originally Posted by clured View Post
    Terrapin: Obviously the snow will slow me down; that's a given. The question is to what degree. The White's are a huge hit to mileage on the AT, but they are sufficiently contained that it doesn't really massively affect your overall pace. What percentage of the trail will be slowed down by the snow? Like, if it's only about 500 miles, I feel like I could compensate for having to walk 20's with lots of 35's elsewhere. But if it's 1000 miles, it would get harder to finish in my time window, and finishing is important to me.
    I don't know that Terrapin has done a lot of hiking in the Sierras as he's started a thread asking questions about it himself.
    Anyway, with the snow level so far, I think you are in for more than 500 miles of snow???
    My brother lives in Tahoe and has been sending me pictures for the last 2 months of all the snow he has down at lake level. It is quite shocking.
    I would think you would have snow until from just after KM until mid to late July.

With your May 1st start and doing 35's, you may be behind it but of course it depends on how fast it melts. I've hiked a lot in the snow, it slows you down perhaps where a 20 feels like a 30, depending on postholing and route finding problems.

I am thinking you may have mostly snow until Carson pass at least and then patches.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I don't know that Terrapin has done a lot of hiking in the Sierras as he's started a thread asking questions about it himself.
    Terrapin knows squat about hiking the PCT, but he knows that hiking in deep snow is much more difficult than hiking on hard ground. Clured thinks he might do 20s in snow, as opposed to 30-35 elsewhere. I say more power to him!!

It was very heavy in washington state this year too. record snows in the cascades for those folks doing a sobo.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Terrapin knows squat about hiking the PCT, but he knows that hiking in deep snow is much more difficult than hiking on hard ground. Clured thinks he might do 20s in snow, as opposed to 30-35 elsewhere. I say more power to him!!
    Hiking on old, consolidated snow is much different than hiking in fresh snow. Sometimes it won't slow you that much. However, as it gets softer during the day you'll end up postholing which can be exceedingly slow and exhaustive. In '99 which was near normal, leaving Kennedy Meadows June 15th, I was able to hike 17-22 mpd.

Ok, preliminary gearlist. Any and all opinions welcome.

Pack - GoLite Jam2
    Tarp - Oware Flat Tarp 6x8
    Bag - Western Mountaineering Ultralight
    Pad - Thermarest Short
    Bivy - Oware
    Groundcloth - Tyvek

Poles - Komperdell Featherlight

Shoes - Montrail Hardrocks
    Socks - 3 x Patagonia Lightweight Endurance Quarter
    Orthotics - Superfeet

Aquamira
    TP
    Databooks
    ID
    Toothbrush/paste
    Hand Sanitizer
    Sunscreen
    Whistle
    Compass
    Small Blade

GoLite rain shell
    Lightass poncho
    Rain pants
    Capilene top
    Montbell Ultralight Down Jacket
    Hat

Freedomforce Micro LED
    Platys - 2x1L, 1x2L
    Ice Axe - Camp Corsa

Bear Canister (ugh)

What am I missing?

You might want gloves and/or mittens.

Maybe swap out the rain jacket for a 3 oz wind shirt. Keep the 'lightass poncho' for rain protection, and you know there ain't much rain in Cali.

Otherwise, looks like a really good gear list.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk View Post
    You might want gloves and/or mittens.
    For cold, or to keep your hands from getting sunburned in the desert?

Thanks for the tip vaportrail. Anyone know how cold it gets up in the high Sierra? Is that Montbell down jacket necessary?

Personally, i would save the thermorest for Kennedy Meadows and use half a pad. Southern CA is often sandy and easy to find a nice sleeping spot. Could save 1/2 lb i think. But you might be camping in snow in the Sierras so perhaps add the pad then. (KM)
    I agree, gloves definitely for the Sierras and perhaps for the southern part too (i usually have liners but don't use poles so it's not like a wear them much) in snow, it's a different story and i've already had ccold hands when i forgot them. Of course your spare socks could do in a pinch. (which reminds me, i would have a pair of fleece socks for sleeping in the Sierras as your feet will most likely get wet everyday there)

Don't see a need for poncho, rain pants, rain shell and bivy for the south. Too much.

Don't forget some sunglasses for the Sierra snow also. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by clured View Post
    For cold, or to keep your hands from getting sunburned in the desert?
    If you're susceptible to sunburn both.

Check out sun gloves by Coolibar. I've got a pair and they're perfect. May still need liner gloves to stay warm at camp, but the verdict is still out.

I say in socal, ditch all rain gear, get a wind shirt, and umbrella. Umbrella for much needed shade, and rain protection if it actually rains. Wind shirt for 3 oz of warmth and to cut the chill from persistent desert winds. I think the bivy is a good idea though to cut the wind when sleeping as well as add 5-10 deg of warmth, where nights are supposedly chillly. I'm a cold sleeper, and will definitely have my bivy along.

Anyone have experience with lots of zeros at Kennedy Meadows? I'm planning on starting April 24, and am well aware of the snow situation. I really don't want to start later though, be behind the herd, and experience even worse desert heat in May. I'm thinking if I don't decide to buy some crampons and go thru the Sierras, a few zeroes at KM and maybe either hitch or rent a car and spend a few days in Death Valley? Is KM a fun place to spend a few days? I know theres really nothing there...but is the view nice?

Quote Originally Posted by vaporjourney View Post

Anyone have experience with lots of zeros at Kennedy Meadows? I'm planning on starting April 24, and am well aware of the snow situation. I really don't want to start later though, be behind the herd, and experience even worse desert heat in May. I'm thinking if I don't decide to buy some crampons and go thru the Sierras, a few zeroes at KM and maybe either hitch or rent a car and spend a few days in Death Valley? Is KM a fun place to spend a few days? I know theres really nothing there...but is the view nice?
    I spent a week. First you can stay for free on the river near where the trail crosses. For a few days, during the day, I spent most time at the store and hung out there, took care of my food, gear, drank beer, met hikers, ate etc Later Meadow Ed came up and got a few spots at the FS campground. More beer, hikers, food etc.

I'm not sure about renting cars but DV isn't all that far away and is pretty neat, but really spread out. With the cost of gar you're probably better off just hanging out and fattening up..

I'll most likely a few more days off than normal hiking to KM if there's still a lot of snow in the Sierra. Probably take 2 nights Big Bear, Wrightwood, the Saufley's, Joe and Terri's if they're hosting hikers this year, Tehachapi, and Lake Isabella (Onyx) before KM.

Yeah, KM is nice. There used to be a great bar (Grumpy's???) about 2 miles away from the trail. Take a fishing rod too. I only stayed there a day or two but had a great time at the bar. (if you have to wait longer, Death Valley, Reno, Bishop, are all nearby (well Reno isn't that close but one road leads to it after you come down from the mtn.)

Some good AYCE's there. (Reno) I once hitched to Vegas from Bishop. VERY tough hitch across Death Valley! only foreigners picked me up. ( I think the Americans just assumed i was crazy for trying it. )

Don't overlook that the southern peaks of CA are receiving even more relative snowfall than the rest of the state! Looks like climbing the Jacintos may be tricky. Man I don't wanna roadwalk...

Grumpy's is still there. They have a truck with a trailer for hikers that want to go eat.

Quote Originally Posted by vaporjourney View Post
    Don't overlook that the southern peaks of CA are receiving even more relative snowfall than the rest of the state! Looks like climbing the Jacintos may be tricky. Man I don't wanna roadwalk...
    Unless there are late storms it shouldn't be much of a problem, but yeah there will be some snow

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dranoel View Post
    I am using an Osprey Atmos 65 (4200ci).

Today I did my spreadsheet and my pack weight is 28 pounds.

When I factor in 5 L of water and 7 days of food (2 pounds per day) my total weight is 53 pounds.

This does not make me very happy, but I am carrying in all my gear- and intend on being more of a trail guy than a town guy. Also, with the heavy snow fall I don't plan to freeze on the trail.

I am a big guy, 6'3 at 205 pounds. I need to see what I can do to maybe shave some weight to keep it under 50 pounds.

//My tent (Kelty Teton 2), Sleeping Bag (North Face Fission 20 Degree), Therm-a-Rest 4 is arriving tomorrow. This makes me happy.
    Dran---

If you'd like to post a gear list, perhaps I can make a few suggestions about how to save some weight. If you do, list everything.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Guys,

Thanks so fookin much for all the advice; this is great stuff. I'm still not sure about the temperatures in the high sierra - how cold does it get up there? Since I'm carrying a 20deg down bag, do I need a jacket for warmth up there? As in, do I need to shell out $150, or can I get by with nylon t-shirt + capilene top + goretex shell?

PS, I know that a lot of this is in Yogi's book, but she's not selling it until March 11, and I need to get a move on if this is going to come together.

Thanks dudes.

Nights can get cold in the Sierras but a 20* bag is all you should need for the entire trail. The only gear switch I have is from a tarp to a tent and adding a bear canister and ice ax at KM. Otherwise, I'll carry a t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, fleece, rain jacket, balaclava, sun hat and convertible pants.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++