WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I'll be going sobo from the border to App Gap at Rte 17 this July. Of the four thrus I have done in the past two were sobo and by the time you get to Middlebury Gap at Vt 125 the rest of way is quite a bit easier. As for doing it in 20 days, yeah it's very possible, but you will hit sections and specific places where the temptation to slow down or stop early will be great. Of course, then there is the weather which could allow you to speed up or make the going slower. The only major work I'm aware of for this season involves the replacement of Montclair Glen Camp south of Camel's Hump. With this seasons high snow pack the mud should be premium grade.

I did it southbound Oct 07 in 19 days but I was not physically prepared enough for the moderately strenuous ups and downs on the northern half. However, I never felt I was pushing it. I mistakenly thought the northern half was going to be much the same as the southern half that I had experienced on an 06 AT thru-hike. If going southbound and U R planning 20+ mile days starting out at North Jay/Trails End be physically in shape when U start. If U do it this way U will be cruising on the southern half. Carry a light pack as others have suggested. Be prepared for mud at anytime of yr.! I recommend exploring some of the short side trails on Mt. Mannsfield.

Default The Ordinary Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Jan's book, The Ordinary Adventurer, is a must-read for anyone contemplating a hike of the LT. It's a great read. I guarantee you'll enjoy it.
    Where can I buy this book? I'm starting the Long this year..hope to finish most of it. Thx!

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by earlylight View Post
    Where can I buy this book? I'm starting the Long this year..hope to finish most of it. Thx!
    Here's the link for ordering. Great book! I've now read it four times.
    (The link can be very slow on occasions)

my ole' lady, our daughter and myself might tackle the long trail this fall.I know the north is tougher! Beside this,north or south you convince me.( anyone have photos of the northern half?Let us know what to miss, what not to miss, (bars-hostels/motels-bars,etc.)hook us up. thanks p.s. any one know of any good child carrier/backpacks.

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    Beside this,north or south you convince me.( anyone have photos of the northern half?Let us know what to miss, what not to miss, (bars-hostels/motels-bars,etc.)hook us up. thanks
    I definitely recommend NOBO if you're planning on definitely going all the way. If you're doing a portion and want to see the very best, begin NOBO at Lincoln Gap and dive right in to the best, and toughest, part of the trail.
    Some photos from my hike last year. Any questions, email me and I'll do my best to answer them.

Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    I definitely recommend NOBO if you're planning on definitely going all the way. If you're doing a portion and want to see the very best, begin NOBO at Lincoln Gap and dive right in to the best, and toughest, part of the trail.
    Some photos from my hike last year. Any questions, email me and I'll do my best to answer them.
    thanks Quoddy

Great photos Quoddy. Can't wait til Mud Season is over.

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Upload and stitches looks like 18 days.
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=207870

I ran into them both last September (I think it was Butler lodge) while I was heading South on the LT. Great people but I don't think they hiked end to end.

-Bobcat

FYI- anyone hiking the LT this summer/fall let me know. After the AT I hiked the LT sobo last fall. I live in Burlington and if I can I'd be happy to help anyone out.

Images

my ole' lady, our daughter and myself might tackle the long trail this fall.I know the north is tougher! Beside this,north or south you convince me.( anyone have photos of the northern half?Let us know what to miss, what not to miss, (bars-hostels/motels-bars,etc.)hook us up. thanks p.s. any one know of any good child carrier/backpacks.
    Crumb, check out the Kely Kid carriers...I have some friends who have used them in the past and they seeme to really like them!

Images

Doh, i meant Kelty, but you probably figured that out!

Quote Originally Posted by angewrite View Post
    I ran into them both last September (I think it was Butler lodge) while I was heading South on the LT. Great people but I don't think they hiked end to end.
    -Bobcat
    I think that's right. This was a follow-up on an AT thru-hike, do they skipped the 100 miles south of Rt. 4 - starting just below Maine junction.

whats the difference between the long trail guide and the end to enders guide book? thanks

E2E guide is a practical (if somewhat redundant and repetitive) guide to the Long Trail focusing on resources for Thru-Hikers (shelters, towns, road access, resupply, etc). Its pretty similar in purpose to Wingfoot's now defunct guides. The Long Trail guide is all about the trail itself, the side trails - somewhat analagous to the State by State AT guides (but without separate maps - topos and maps are in the book)

Quote Originally Posted by pedxing View Post
    E2E guide is a practical (if somewhat redundant and repetitive) guide to the Long Trail focusing on resources for Thru-Hikers (shelters, towns, road access, resupply, etc). Its pretty similar in purpose to Wingfoot's now defunct guides. The Long Trail guide is all about the trail itself, the side trails - somewhat analagous to the State by State AT guides (but without separate maps - topos and maps are in the book)
    thanks pedxing

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    Here's the link for ordering. Great book! I've now read it four times.
    (The link can be very slow on occasions)
    This made me chuckle... it sounds like the link is so slow you were able to read Lightshoe's book four times while you were waiting!

"Dreamt last night I was climbing mountains
    Way beyond love’s fierce hold..."

Images

There was a guy in 04 , maybe, cant remeber wat year, he ran the entire trail SOBO in like five or six days, he had van support at many road crossings(I met folks in van), the story goes that he fainted before he got to MA border and had to be carried out, when asked by local media what he remebered mostly about his hike, his reply , was nothing.

Images

Default Tough Traveler

Tough Traveler out of Schenectady Ny has been making one for years and very hardy. I had one for both of my kids and we were not gentle on it at all.

I read a book by a person who not only wanted to thru the LT but wanted to stay out in the woods as long as possible so he set up food cashes along the trail and stayed out for the full 30 days that it took him.

Chef. The guy you describe is Ted Keiser, aka Cave Dog. He tried for a speed record for the LT in '03 and collapsed as you describe. He tried again and succeeded in '04.

The account of the collapse is a good read at:
    http://www.thecavedog.com/Long_Trail..._Maelstrom.pdf

All his Long Trail stuff is collected at:

http://www.thecavedog.com/Long_Trail...dex-frame.html

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++