WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Dar be snow 'n ther Hills

Tuesday night I walked out of work in Johnson City TN. I checked the radar, and saw no precipatation levels. So I thought it was just low level snow, which wouldn't last long. And a slight snow flurry was coming down. But weather forecast called for flurries all next day with no wind and highs in the 40s for the cities. So I would estimated probably a high of 20 for the mountains

I woke up Wednesday morning to see a nice inch or two out my window. But none on the streets. I drove down to Erwin to check out the mountains. Unaka was barely visible and white. But Erwin was the same, an inch or two on the ground, none on the roads. So I drove up to Devils Fork Gap, here comes the blizzard. As soon as I took turn up TN352, the snow just came down. I passed a few farms where there seemed more than a foot. I got to the trailhead, and TDOT & NCDOT plowed huge piles of snow in the turnout. But when I looked at the trail it was a good 5-6 inches. I turned around and headed back to Erwin.

I drove up to Indian Grave Gap hoping to hike to Beauty Spot and play in the snow. But when I saw the trail, it too was a good 4-5 inches.

So I drove down to Rock Creek Rec area hoping to hike some of the lower elevation trails. I hiked up Rock Creek Falls Trail. The initial hike in was not tough. The trailhead only had a couple inches and the sun seemed to peeking out of the clouds. But once I got up to the waterfalls, there was a good 3-4 inches of snow. Whats funny was I that I was just here the other day, and it was about 40-50 degrees. But after 2.5 miles of a good climb and a few fords. I reached the falls got a few pics, and headed back down. But when I was hiking down, it was the most hiliarous thing to watch. I was hanging on the rodos try not to slide down. I was shuffling through the snow. When I got down to my car and looked in the mirror, I looked like a damn yetti, covered head to toe in white snow.

Hope you Nobos were not stuck on the mountain tops in this. This was a sudden snow fall.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

I wish I had snow here in southwest va

Images

Default snow in smokies

Over 1 foot of snow in smokies at higher elevations.

Here is a news report link on snow in the smokies...

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/2498295/

Images

Man I hope this stuff sticks around. I'm going next friday to the smokies

Unfortunatly I think it's going to be closet to 60 degrees for a couple days next week.

Default re snow

gee.. 4-5 inches of snow on the ground stopped you from hiking to beauty spot? I'd think that would make thinks prettier!

up here in Concord, NH we are on pace for a record winter. Already over 90 inches of snow for the season and well over a footon the ground. The mountains have a glacier!

I wonder how much snow is in the smokies or on top of Unaka Mountain?

DavidNH

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dholmblad View Post
    I wish I had snow here in southwest va
    ==================================

Be careful what you ask for ...

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    gee.. 4-5 inches of snow on the ground stopped you from hiking to beauty spot? I'd think that would make thinks prettier!

up here in Concord, NH we are on pace for a record winter. Already over 90 inches of snow for the season and well over a footon the ground. The mountains have a glacier!

I wonder how much snow is in the smokies or on top of Unaka Mountain?

DavidNH
    Yes, big snow year in most of the Whites. I hope early starting thru hikers are aware before they get here. The snow totals for Loon Mountain ski area (2733 feet, near N. Woodstock, about 7 miles from the A.T., same latitute as Moosilauke) was 185 inches as of yesterday.

We heard that there was 2 feet in the Smokies.?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    And it sure is beautiful - until the snowplows shove it all off the streets and into my yard! Personally I'm going to Springer to get away from all this stuff! Though, after this winter, I don't think a foot of snow will stop me...

WWW/Pennauwelwndam Gohkos / Donating Member
    Images

In central VA we haven't had much more than a dusting of snow thus far. Last week on Thursday it snowied up in the Cow Camp/Hog Camp Gap area. I was so looking forward to the weekend and hiking in some snow. Got up there Friday evening and nothing but rain and fog. A real bummer. So like Dholmbald I too, inspite of Sloggers warning to "be careful what you ask for" wish we had some snow.
    OWL

Images

my backyard has probably four feet of snow on it. the snow banks are over six feet in some places. I was over in Peterburough last Saturday and the snow banks over there are higher than my dad's grand Cherokee. fun stuff for sure

The journey is the destination eventidecu's Avatar
    Images

I think there pushing over 2ft over around the smokies now. Dang 4wd still in the shop can't go out and play!

NYC had its first real snow of the season last week. 6 inches. Mid-Atlantic states are water plentiful but snow poor. For the first time in ages, all counties in PA are off of Drought status.
    Yahtzee

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    ==================================

Be careful what you ask for ...

'Slogger

We got 1/10 of an inch last night....

We got SNOW in Central VA!

Roanoke City.... 15 inches of snow.

My house.... 10 inches of snow= Beautiful.

How much did YOU get?

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post

How much did YOU get?
    No snow expected here in Costa Rica Back home in Northern NH they're expecting a foot with that much on the ground already. The Whites are buried. Spring skiing should be fine!

We haven't gotten any yet, but it's a commin. BTW, notice the start date for this thread - 6 years ago almost to the day!

I remember 2008, we got a lot of snow that year. I went to Springer on April 1st, 2008 and it was cold, cold, cold. Got snowed on at Stecoah Gap and ended up at the Hike Inn, froze our butts off in the Smokies and again on Roan Mt. Probably a lot like it will be down there in April this year...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post

How much did YOU get?
    12" here, mom.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

We have no new snow this week(yet) but some coming in this weekend----and still several inches leftover on the ground from last week.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++