WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default footwear?? Hiking in Snow tommorow

Normally I hike in trail runners, the ones I am using now are mostly mesh. Tomorrow I am going to start a 3 day trip from Dickey's Gap to Damascus. I talked to Lone Wolf and he reported about8 inches of snow on top of Mt Rogers, which probably means decent snow for about half of the 50 mile hike. My normal wool sock/trail runner combo might not be up to this challenge. Any Ideas? I don't think I can break in boots fast enough, (less then 13 hours) so goretex socks? Buy boots anyway, and prepare for blisters? Any suggestions will be helpful

I hike in the snow and cold weather here all winter in New Balance trail runners 809 and a pair of liner socks plus smartwool socks. My feet are toasty. Bring extra socks for when you stop in the evenings.Let shoes air dry.A too hot fire will ruin shoes fast.
    Have fun,
    Sandalwood

I bought a pair of these boots for winter hiking. I didn't break them in and took them out with a full winter pack. I got a small toe blister, very minor (sock was the problem really) They are a little stiff though above the ankles before breaking in, others have reported this. It's hard to say on your last minute schedule. I was expecting the usual blisters. I've had a lot of trouble with boots and blisters, so I was very happy about the lack of any major problems. But everyone's foot is different, I only mention these because you are concerned about break-in. It might be a tough find and not the right fit.

Now you could try sealskinz/goretex socks and/or maybe a pair of gaiters.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Thanks for the advice, I will let you know what worked.

I'm a little late, but it really depends on the snow whether you will be in it or on it and how wet your feet get. The other thing is, if it is the sort of snow that will get your feet wet and cold it will also be the sort of snow that will slow you down quite a bit, so the 50 miles could take an extra day or two if half of it is snow and 5-10 miles of that is deep, especially if your loaded down with gear and food and body fat. Nothing like a nice long slow winter trudge though when things get interesting. Its my kind of fun.

Images

My old school all leather Asolo TPS 520 GTX hiking boots have performed admirably through my winter hikes this year - just a good coating of waterproofing before each extended outing kept my feet warm and dry when my buddies with their choice of sythentic materials were usually having concerns with their feet. Minimal break in time once I found the right fit.
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Images

I like gaitors to keep snow from getting into the top of my boots, but I guess if the boots/shoes are not waterproof it doesn't really matter.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by envirodiver View Post
    I like gaitors to keep snow from getting into the top of my boots, but I guess if the boots/shoes are not waterproof it doesn't really matter.
    ============================

Actually it does matter. The same thing that keeps water OUT on a gortex lined boot/shoe is what keeps it IN once its inside. One of the biggest downsides to a gortex lined pair of footwear is that once they get wet inside and soak out they tend to STAY wet for a very long time.

In the long haul you are better off trying to keep outside moisture of any sort OUTSIDE.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Well, this is kind late but how about a pair of rubbers on top of your regular hiking shoes and use knee high gaitors to keep the snow out of the top of them.

Images

I agree Footslogger. What I was saying is that he is hiking in trailrunners. If they soak through they are wet on the outside and inside. So if they are soaked it doesn't really matter if snow gets in the tops. I wear Goretex lined boots and I don't want snow getting in the top, for just the reason that you mention.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Feet get wet no matter what you wear. I wore Gore tex boots and hiked in snow. Still had wet feet because southern snow is slushy and very wet. And the snow gets trapped on the eroded parts of the trail making it a mess. Or on ridgelines where the trail meanders.

So either way, you're feet will get wet in those kinds of conditions. All part the hking.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    Well, this is kind late but how about a pair of rubbers on top of your regular hiking shoes and use knee high gaitors to keep the snow out of the top of them.
    ==================================

Your footwear will turn into a sauna. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it. Perspiration vapor needs an avenue of escape or your footwear/socks become soaked and increase risk of blistering.

Not sure exactly how well your currnent footwear shed water but if it was me I would consider a pair of the Gortex oversocks and then wear gaiters in addition ...at least that's what I do when I am hiking in light trail runners during the winter.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

If you have enough room in your trail runners, you can swap out your cushion insoles with felt insoles, or use a combination with felt insoles over cushion insoles. Blue foam pads make good insoles, but they only last a day before they are squished.

Images

[quote=doggiebag;555147]My old school all leather Asolo TPS 520 GTX hiking boots have performed admirably through my winter hikes this year - just a good coating of waterproofing before each extended outing kept my feet warm and dry when my buddies with their choice of sythentic materials were usually having concerns with their feet. Minimal break in time once I found the right fit.
    I have the same boots & love 'em !!!!! Maybe a bit late to run out and buy a $200.00 pair of Asolos
    Could you wear gators to give some extra protection with your trail runners ??

I have a pair of Scarpa boots that I love. I am debating on using my low cut Merrell trail shoes instead though. Is that a good idea? We are starting in the beginning of April from Springer.

I believe it depends on your hiking style. If you move most of the day, and only stop to camp or eat lunch (my style) then i would stay in the trail runners.
    Since switching to trail runners in '96, i haven't gone back.
    I've worn my Montrail Vitesse shoes in all conditions. I just keep going so my feet don't get too cold and then change to my dry, fleece socks when i stop. In winter, i take 3 pair and keep one ONLY for hiking every day. One ONLY for sleeping and one extra that usually gets worn in camp or kept for a reserve.

Here is one of my youtube vids in which the end shows me going up 20,000' Dhampus peak in the Himalayas in my trail runners. (I did wear gaitors from 17, 000' up to the top) (March 2004)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EOmXdTojPwI&feature=related

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I'm a little late, but it really depends on the snow whether you will be in it or on it and how wet your feet get. The other thing is, if it is the sort of snow that will get your feet wet and cold it will also be the sort of snow that will slow you down quite a bit, so the 50 miles could take an extra day or two if half of it is snow and 5-10 miles of that is deep, especially if your loaded down with gear and food and body fat. Nothing like a nice long slow winter trudge though when things get interesting. Its my kind of fun.
    I doubt the snow will stay too long. I went skiing near the area on Monday and it was 54 degrees. We had to stop at 2:30 because it was getting slushy.

Images

I did the smokies a few years ago in really bad snow conditions-I used Nike xcr trail shoes with gaiters and did fine. Remember to wrap up your shoes in a plastic bag and put them in your sleeping bag otherwise they can freeze overnite, I would stay with your trail shoes and keep dry socks to change into overnite.Backpackinglight has a great article on what type of footwear works best in snowy conditions check it out.

Used the trail runners, and they worked O.K.. Next time I will take more socks, like 4 pairs. I could not keep my socks dry, my shoes let water in, but they also let it drain back out, but my socks would freeze if I tied them to my pack, and also could only dry one pair a night in sleeping bag ( did not want too much moisture in my down). By 10 AM the socks would be soaked again. Next time its 4 pairs of socks, and/or boots in the winter. BTW this snow was deep in places deeper then expected 1 foot to 15" in drifts on the side of hills. The bigger problem was the water on the trail from the sow melt in the lower valleys between ridges, it was 3-6" deep in places. Like hiking in a creek. All n all good time though beautiful place to visit. Just needed better footwear plan.

I'd chime in on the response about Sealskinz or other vapor barrier sock. I've done this in knee deep snow in the Smokies in trail runners.

You wear on set of sock liners and then bag yourself with the vapor barrier sock. Cover that with your favorite sock and stuff into your runners. Once your foot has gotten soaked with sweat, it is all good. The vapor barrier prevents cooling evaporation of the sweat. Toes stay warm.

Glad you had fun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++