WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered Troll
    Images

Default Changing in shelters

I got a question about changing clothes in shelters. Usually I carry one set for hiking and one dry set for camp. So lets suppose its raining cats and dogs and I get to the shelter and need to change from my soaking wet hiking clothes to my dry camp clothes, okay.

Lets say there's some women in the shelter. Now its pouring down rain and I'm not going outside to change and i got to get naked to change. So do you just yell out GETTING NAKED to warn the women then change quickly and hope they don't mind.

There are some discreet ways to get changed. It's all common sense really.

GA-ME 02 Kilted Hiker Trail Yeti's Avatar
    Images

This is where hiking in a kilt really comes in handy....all you have to do is pull on your dry stuff underneath....unwrap your kilt...and you are set!!!
    "Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"- Ed Abbey

Default Comes with the territory

Barring small children being around, changing in the shelter is acceptable. That being said, don't flaunt what you do or don't have.

Registered Troll
    Images

them Joisey goils dont mind some will help

Images

I'm female and I shared a shelter with a few guys on Tray Mountain. They simply informed me they were changing and would I mind facing the wall till they were done. Not a problem. They did the same for me when I was changing.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

Personally, I just get naked and don't think about it much. Women that I hike with generally either do the same, or change under their clothes. For example, they might wrap their rain jacket around their waist as a skirt and then change out of their wet shorts or pants. Although I can't physcially do it, they seem to be able to put their jacket on and change out of their shirt underneath it. The rain jacket skirt is also their town clothing while laundry is being done.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth03
    That being said, don't flaunt what you do or don't have.
    Hey! I resemble that remark!

Images

Find a dark corner and face the wall. Your back side is not that interesting.

Default Changing in the shelter

I arrived at a shelter wet and cold, having been caught in a downpour. There were three or four people there, male and female. I simply said, I'm going to change into dry clothes. Anybody who wants to watch may do so. There were a few chuckles, but so far as I know there were no watchers.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I try to wait for a good moment when any women or children are preoccupied and then ask for a minute to change my clothes in the corner. On a dry day I may go behind the shelter to change. Regardless, it's no big deal.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Default Embarrassed my brother

When I first started hiking along the AT with my younger brother, I never gave it a second though. I would just strip down and change. Never gave it a second though. However, I noticed my brother was very careful about changing where people couldn't see him (he was the more experience hiker). So later I asked him, and he said I was embarrassing the hell out of him

On our thru I just faced the wall, and tried not to be toooooo exposed. But it seems like after you've talked about bowel movements you don't mind seeing each other naked. It usually isn't a pretty (or good smelling) sight after that many days out...

Gravity Man

++ New Posts ++