WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

I hit the trail in 2000 with right around $400.00 and I never wanted for too much. I lived on and off of the trail for about three years. I worked some and sometimes people insisted on helping me out, I didn't have to beg.

That being said, I plan on hiking again soon and taking tater peelers with me to finance the hike. In fact these peelers just financed my trip back to Kansas and then back home.

So I'm saying that you can do just about whatever you set yourself to do but always remember,you can plan the plan but you can never plan the result........

Just go and hike, and if your a pure person people will notice and help you find work and your most basic needs will be met. Besides it is quite a bit more adventerous to stop and work along the way, plenty have done the entire trail this way.

There is nothing immoral, fattening, or illegal about "working" your way up the trail. For example, back in the '60s I spent four years on the road. When I woke up each morning I would decide which direction to head and whether I needed to stop for a few days, work at a temp job and fatten up. I met thousands of wonderful people and learned something from every one. I hope I gave more than I received.

It isn't the sixties, but if you were to head out tomorrow with, as you say, all the necessary gear, a song in your heart, good will toward man, a willingness to do some hard work, and all your savings... it might be twice the adventure. Who knows what would happen?

Merry Hikester

Different strokes....
    Disclaimer: I didn't mean that......I realy love you all.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hobojoe View Post
    If you were starving with no money at a supermarket I supose you would just die then? or steal??? I know it may not be fair to us working folk, but is it fair that Paris Hilton is a multi millionaire?
    It takes at least 30 days to starve to death. I guess I could find a way to earn some food before then. Or at least learn how to Yogi real well.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

I don't want to have to worry about panhandlers while enjoying my through. If you can't afford to do it maybe you should work for a while and save the money to be able to do it properly and not be a burden to other hikers. I'm a very free spirit and am not trying to be mean but to me that's just common sense.

Thanks for your opinion that no one wanted. If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    One can always work and save up the money to do the hike.

The trail isn't going anywhere.
    Amen. What ever happened to working hard and saving money for something you want to do? I know the idea sounds crazy in this day and age of instant gratification, but it does still work. There are plenty of people who still do it.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Merry Hikester

Isn't yogiing esentialy begging, just a little more backhanded, and less honest?

Merry Hikester

Yeah, I worked my ass off for my hike this year. I'm just saying that can hike like this. I wouldn't be comfortable, I'd work my way down the trail if I had no $ but not hiking is not an option for me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Amen. What ever happened to working hard and saving money for something you want to do? I know the idea sounds crazy in this day and age of instant gratification, but it does still work. There are plenty of people who still do it.
    Can I have a HallelujahYou can hike your own hike,but you also need to fund your own hike

Images

He didn't steal, but seeing as we disagree I won't argue I respect your OPINION as you should respect others' opinions, capeesh?
    Thanks for your opinion that no one wanted. If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.
    you should take your own advise

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gungho View Post
    Can I have a HallelujahYou can hike your own hike,but you also need to fund your own hike
    No kidding! There is no shame in hard work, folks. I bust my butt at my job and if someone wants to hike the trail, then let them do the same. Begging on the trail is irresponsible at best, reprehensible at worst. That would be like me going to work in my shorts and begging for scrubs and a stethoscope and expecting someone else to buy my lunch. Just not cool and in some places, it's illegal. I'm not sure if any of those places are along the trail or not, but begging or "panhandling" is acutaly against the law in a lot of places. I know there are those out there who disagree with me, and that's fine. But that's my opinion and it is not subject to change.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

And that's all I going to say about that.

Geezer

Pot? Meet Kettle.

If you were starving with no money at a supermarket I supose you would just die then? or steal???
    Re-supply by stealing in trail towns?

I recommend you try it today. You'll be fed by the state for the next 30 days, free of charge.
    Frosty

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post

Re-supply by stealing in trail towns?

I recommend you try it today. You'll be fed by the state for the next 30 days, free of charge.
    Bet they'll even throw in a matching set of nickel plated bracelets to go with it.

Merry Hikester

Meh......nobody's perfect, ehhh?

Images

Meh......nobody's perfect, ehhh?
    There are a lot better ways out there to be imperfect than being a dirtbag, beggar or thief. My bottom line is that if someone wants to hike the trail, go out there prepared. Not having a way to fund the trip is irresponsible as not taking a sleeping bag, shelter or cold weather gear. If you want to hike the trail, work hard, save your money and go when you have enough to fund your trip. There's a word for people who expect others to take care of them when they can do it themselves: bum.

In my opinion, the best way to thru-hike while earning your way is by preaching at the shelters every night and then taking up a collection. Not only will you finance your hike, you will be helping your fellow hikers with their spiritual needs. You could also pass out small copies of the New Testament and that would probably double the contributions you would receive.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jessebrent View Post
    begging...........not cool
    Most thru hikers beg. Just ask any hostel owner. It's why we are all -- well most of us -- in favor of trail magic.

Weary

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

::: Dino peeks over trifocals and reminds everyone that encouraging illegal activities violates the TOS :::

Stealing is illegal everywhere. Panhandling is illegal in many places. Working is legal everywhere. Preaching is legal, but likely will not be welcomed by all and should not be encouraged as it will impinge on others' enjoyment of their hikes in the same way music, using cell phones, talking after dark, etc. can disturb others.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Working is legal everywhere.

Not all work is legal, just ask any hooker.
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++