WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    O.P. never asked about begging or stealing to fund his hike. He asked how much it would cost.

Other folk brought up the subject of theft and begging.
    Yea you are right and someone gave him a good answer $2500+

The only folk I have heard about it that did it cheaper, did it later, in a small box with a set of cool bars. I don't for a minute think that's him. I just find it very tough without some sort of financial back up plan... Hey

You know sometimes I come back and read what I wrote and I get tough on myself as he didn't say how poor... He probably is more weathy in spirit than I am...I appologise. Just do your best, nobody can argue with that.

I am starting to sound like LW..OOOOH NOOOOO.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Just help in any way and move on....you will sleep better knowing you gave.

I agree the Weathercarrot article is a good read, and I've hiked with carrot before and he is quite good at stretching the dollars.

I will be on the trail this year and money will not be a problem for me, I will be very generous with my money towards those with less, but the second someone expects it or starts to mooch - I won't lend a dollar to that hiker anymore.

But I understand poverty more than most people, and if you truly are poor, you are already quite adaptable and resilant, and if you can scrap up $1500 you can probably do it mate.

Images

Default Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post

As far as the AT a vacation (bugs me every time someone says it's a vacation) - I ask anyone to do a random poll (since everything is polls these days) of the general population and find out if hiking the entire AT constitutes a vacation..
    [Middle English vacacioun, from Old French vacation, from Latin vacti, vactin-, FREEDOM FROM OCCUPATION, from vactus, past participle of vacre, to be empty, at leisure; see eu- in Indo-European roots.]

I'm going on vacation

Thank you for the 3% of you that actually helped with my question, it was all very helpful. As for the rest of you, this "begger", hes one out of the 2000+ people that thru-hike and one of 3 million people that hike parts of the AT every year. Unless this statistic jumps drasticaly, im afriad I just cant find it in myself to care about what this man did.

Dont steal, dont beg, dont pee in a stream, dont feed animals... etc etc

The list goes on and on, and the reality behind it, is that PEOPLE STILL DO IT

And unfrotunatly, theres little we can do to stop it.

I just want to hike.

Dude. I think that you are missing the point. No one is telling you not to hike. We are just saying that now might not be the best time to thru hike. When I was your age I was in no position to thru hike so I didn't. I suggest that you hike. Hell, hike alot. Do w/e trips or a week here and there. Get a decent job, or go to school. Save your money and get yourself the proper gear and then revisit the issue. There are plenty of good overnight hiking trails besides the AT. It's not going anywhere. Just take care of your business and enjoy what you can resonably now. Your big hike will come. I'm still waiting for mine. Happy hiking.

Jason
    Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    Thank you for the 3% of you that actually helped with my question, it was all very helpful. As for the rest of you, this "begger", hes one out of the 2000+ people that thru-hike and one of 3 million people that hike parts of the AT every year. Unless this statistic jumps drasticaly, im afriad I just cant find it in myself to care about what this man did.

I just want to hike.

As for the rest of you, this "begger", hes one out of the 2000+ people that thru-hike and one of 3 .
    I can see why they call you Neurosis. All that wasn't being addressed to you, it was to the poster that suggested you could beg like the other guy.

I think your missing the point, Jason. I have saved money, I have all the proper gear and I am ready to hike the AT. My only question was to get input on hiking cheap. And for sly, I know that all that was directed to the poster, but this thread was made so I could find information on cheap hiking, not to read about some random hikers choice to beg for money. And "I" was addressing the few that overlooked the irrelvant arguement and actually gave me information.

Quote Originally Posted by hobojoe View Post
    Isn't yogiing esentialy begging, just a little more backhanded, and less honest?
    yogiing is an art,if you have to ask for something thats begging. even if you offer to pay. example: i'd come off the trail to a trailhead and see people in the parking lot, i'd say out loud,so they would hear me without it looking like i wanted them to hear me! i thought for sure there was a soda machine around here?, they would then offer me a soda if they had one.

Images

I just want to hike.
    Here is a recent thread on a cost breakdown of a thru hike:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...highlight=cost
    I think it includes 500$ plus in gear. Check it out.
    The thing about thru hiking cheap threads is that someone always floats the begging angle. It is a bad idea.Most agree that if your wallet can't keep you going it's time to stop and re-evaluate what you are trying to accomplish. There are lots more threads on the money aspect, check them out and good luck.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ed bell View Post
    Tater's trollin' again. It's his M.O.
    Hmmm. I would have sworn that he was joking.

Quote Originally Posted by Boudin View Post
    To yogi is not to beg. I can't believe anyone would think that it is. If you have to ask for something then you are not yogiing. People will give you things because they are fascinated with your adventure. They envy your freedom and courage. To yogi properly, these people must be repaid. Not with money. They don't want your money. They want to experience the trip of lifetime through you. These people must be paid with trail stories about your adventure and as you get farther up the trail send them a post card or a letter with a picture. Drop them an email or mention them in your journal on trail journals. The sodas, or candy, or food, or rides, whiskey and beer, or even hotel rooms people are happy to provide. But don't ask for it and always repay it many times over with your stories and thanks.

That's not begging. Begging doesn't belong on the trail.
    well said

Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Everyone has their own method of fishing. He got a bite again.

I think your missing the point, Jason. I have saved money, I have all the proper gear and I am ready to hike the AT. My only question was to get input on hiking cheap. And for sly, I know that all that was directed to the poster, but this thread was made so I could find information on cheap hiking, not to read about some random hikers choice to beg for money. And "I" was addressing the few that overlooked the irrelvant arguement and actually gave me information.
    Not to worry. Just take what was useful. Thread drift on the internet and Whiteblaze is common.

Try not to fret, if you do run out of money, just come back and finish another time.

Journal Entries
    Images

Neuosis - I accept your point and even if you were not yogi'ing, what hasn't been accepted is that Nobo does not have many trail towns at first. You would consume too many calories hike/walk not to need food to keep your strength. I fully believe you can do it. I have met people on the trail that were true "drifter" types and they did ok, but missed meals and it affected their health and well being. I know that if you needed some cash you could do an exchange for work - but the odds are you would have to be in a trail town, and some of those towns are a little burned out on this idea.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Please tell me your kidding!
    Yes. Just because there is no "smiley" doesn't mean it's not a joke. The reverse is true as well: there can be a "smiley" and it's not a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    What a hypocrit!

If WD suggested panhandling, you would be going beserk right now, claiming righteously that this destroys the trail, blah blah blah.

Kind of shows that it isn't the behavior that bothers you, you just have a personal vendetta.

Hypocrit.
    Wow, Frosty. I've never even mentioned Doyle out of the blue like you just did. And calling me a hypocrite based on something I didn't do (suggesting panhandling) as well as something else I didn't do (criticize your buddy for suggesting panhandling) based on something he hasn't done (suggesting panhandling) is absurd, like something out of The Trial. Get a life.

Tater's trollin' again. It's his M.O.
    Tater's trollin' again. It's his M.O. Sorta like asking about the best firearm for protection on the AT, or participating in the illegal alien thread without voicing a real opinion about a remedy or keeping the status quo. That's all you get.
    I guess that was important enough for you to repeat. I don't think it's fair of you to criticize me about the restricted forums outside of them. I promise you I will give you an opinion about such matters if asked, but not here, where it is inappropriate and against the TOS of this site. But why you would think I am stingy with opinions is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Thanks, Weary, you and fiddlehead are quite astute.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post

I guess that was important enough for you to repeat. I don't think it's fair of you to criticize me about the restricted forums outside of them. I promise you I will give you an opinion about such matters if asked, but not here, where it is inappropriate and against the TOS of this site. But why you would think I am stingy with opinions is beyond me.
    I double posted somehow. I apologized about calling you out on the other thread. Bad form on my part. Peace.

Images

Default Po

i think you through them with the word "POOR" in your first post. if you were really PO you would sell your gear now to eat. the post that said 2500 as others said should do it. weathercarrots article is great also. when food shopping, go for the cans if cheaper (didnt listen to them, you got to carry pack) buy lunchmeat ends and a roll. save as much as you can, start your hike, if you run out of $, so what, finish next year. a bad day hiking is better then a good day at work.

hike safe, and have fun

kayak

anybody have $10 i can borrow?

I remember back in 1976. The rock band i was playing in broke up. So, i was in a position to direct my life in any way i wanted.
    I went and attempted a thru-hike of the AT pretty much knowing i didn't have enough money. I had $700 saved up and some gear. A friend loaned me some more gear and my girlfriend at the time decided she wanted to go along.

We made it to Delaware Water Gap on that $700 and I never, ever, thought it was a bad move on my part. Today things are a bit different with many more people on the trail, hostels that charge money, not as many free showers and places to sleep near the trail. (in or near towns) But, the point is, i got to see some hiking that I'll never forget and it was a great experience.

If you don't mind going to bed hungry, sleeping in the woods when all your friends are going to town for a beer, don't piss off the locals (or other hikers) by panhandling or begging for food, money, beers, shelter, whatever, and really really love being in the woods more than anything. then go for it.

ps. But don't you agree it would be a better experience if you DID have some more money and could join those friends when they hit a town and go out for a pizza and beer?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++