WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default campfire cooking

i see all this talk about which stove setup to use.. how to make an alchahol stove.. etc.

how many of you just cook on a campfire everyday? I'm planning on just bringing a small pot to boil water and a really small rack to setup over a small fire.. Is this really that uncommon? just wondering.

I don't want to have to mess with gathering wood and disturbing the area for enough to make a sustainable fire, so I carry a Pocket Rocket. I don't bring anything but a titanium cup for water boiling either, all my meals are in freezer bags.

Images

Well, it depends. If you're talking about a thru hike yes it's uncommon because over the course of 6 or so months you'll have days when it's too wet, too cold, too windy, or too dry to make campfire cooking practical.
    Now, if you're going out for one, two, or a few nights and you know conditions will be good then it may work out well.

Images

I have a friend (wasabbi) who thu hiked in 2000 and he tried to cook on a fire everynight when he got up into the northern part of the trail and he said it was way to hard. Problems like LIhikers said.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You do need a stove as a back up. But I know a guy on the hike last year who liked to cook his veggie soup in this big pot by a cmapfire. Esp when it was cold. Later on, no one was in the mood to make a campfire. Too worn out.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

On my first overnighter on the AT a few years ago, I started a fire, A SOBO thru-hiker came up around dark, and cooked over the fire to save fuel. I say if the fire is there, by all means use it.

FYI: Campfires on the AT are not permited at all in NJ or CT as well as many campsites in various states.

Images

I have to laugh at some of the Boy Scouts (Tenderfeet, I hope) who build a campfire of respectable size, then try to set their pots and pans over the FLAMES to cook...they are always astounded when I pull a pile of hot coals to one side of the blaze and proceed to cook a meal without burning anything!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Images

The difference between white Man and Native American:

White man builds big fire and sits far away to stay warm.

Native American builds little fire and sits close to stay warm

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Montego View Post

Yep, bigger is NOT always better...good things DO come in small packages
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

I thru-hiked last year and cooked on the fire often enough. It saved on fuel and I happened to be hiking with a partner who LOVES building campfires and gathered wood and built them to relax while I sat and rubbed my feet. In any case, if you're not to tired to be gathering the wood and tending the fire, go for it. Just keep in mind that there will be times you can't --- horrible weather, no wood to use, and many many areas on the trail (especially up north) where you just aren't allowed to build a fire at all. I would bring a stove (something light, like a pop-can one) or at least have it in a bounce box.

-Bucket!

Images

I guess the most important thing you need to tell us is, are you going on a thru hike or just a weekend hike. We need to know that to answer your question.

Panzer

I was under the impression that unless you were near the front of the "wave" that firewood was often a scare commodity.

to answer everyones question, i am doing a thru hike.. well maybe not, but I'll definitely be out for atleast a month or two. So I guess i will make myself an alchohol stove for backup.

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    ...who build a campfire of respectable size, then try to set their pots and pans over the FLAMES to cook...they are always astounded when I pull a pile of hot coals to one side of the blaze and proceed to cook a meal without burning anything!
    lol, yeah i was just planning on a very very small fire.. just to get water boiling for a few minutes.. of course, if its cool, i'd definitely make a nice fire to relax by.

Quote Originally Posted by Montego View Post
    lolol but BIG fires are soooo much more fun.. but of course, i AM a white man.

thanks for the advice guys... i'll definitely bring a small alchohol stove. I just didnt see the point of adding more weight (fuel/stove/alchohol) and taking up more room in your pack, when a small fire could just be put together pretty easily... but I guess it would be pretty annoying, though possible, trying to start a fire in the middle of a rain storm. hmm.. never thought of that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I was under the impression that unless you were near the front of the "wave" that firewood was often a scare commodity.
    Firewood is often a scarce commodity, period, especially at shelters and popular campsites, which are used year-round by locals. We are definitely white men: we seem to LOVE our big fires. But big fires require LOTS of fuel, and even one or two big fires a month can quickly strip an area of firewood - and then the tree chopping begins!

That's one reason that I've always liked the ZipStove - it encourages the use of smaller pieces of wood, and smaller "fires". And a really thrifty person can even "recycle" charcoal (from old campfires) into the ZipStove and get even more use out of what is usually only an "eyesore".

Images

I always love a good campfire and use to always cook with one.(When car camping) and even this becomes a hassle after a while,because it is not always quick and easy. When you've been hiking all day,you want a quick and easy way to prepare your meal and then if the opportunity presents itself,relax by a campfire.

Basically, when push comes to shove and you're out on the trail all day, the last thing you want to do is gather wood and nurse a fire to life just to cook a meal. The backpacking stove is much more convenient.

The biggest problem I have with fire is making sure it's totally out when I leave the next day. I've got enough weight to carry, I don't want to worry about leaving a hot coal in the wind. And so putting out a fire really means dousing it with water, and water is sometimes a precious commodity at a campsite. You can hump in enough for yourself, but an extra liter or two to drench a fire?

And nowadays forest conditions verge on extremely dry to tinder-ready, any fire combined with a bit of wind and the worry factor goes up. Why bother with it?

Quote Originally Posted by gumball View Post
    I don't want to have to mess with gathering wood and disturbing the area for enough to make a sustainable fire, so I carry a Pocket Rocket. I don't bring anything but a titanium cup for water boiling either, all my meals are in freezer bags.
    thanks, i just went out and bought a pocketrocket for backup yesterday. Its amazing.. together with the fuel, it barely weighs a pound. and it takes up hardly any room.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Quote Originally Posted by kappy0405 View Post
    thanks, i just went out and bought a pocketrocket for backup yesterday. Its amazing.. together with the fuel, it barely weighs a pound. and it takes up hardly any room.
    As a backup, consider carrying the jetboil cartridge instead of the big MSR one. It will weigh even less.

Campfire cooking used to be the norm, back in the old days. Earl Shaffer's first thru-hike that was the norm, though he often wrote that he couldn't get a fire started in the rain, and went hungry. . . something to think about.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Put a bail on your pot. That way you can hold it on the end of a stick over the fire. Works way better. My plan is to make one out of a large tin can.

You might want to consider carrying at least an alcohol stove. The tin can pot and alcohol stove is going to be my new summer setup. That way in the morning or on rainy nights I don't always have to have a fire.

I hikes southbound with a guy that hiked the trail a few times and always cooks over a fire. I put a bail on my jetboil and use it over a fire whenever possible. I did that for the last month or two of my hike, December and January.

Plus having a fire is fun. If that is what you want to do than go for it. There is plenty of wood for fires if you look around. More than enough if you don't stay at shelters.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++