WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Safe place to park for Uwharrie overnighters.

Theres a few places to park here. Which one is the "safest"?

Registered User uwharriebackpacker's Avatar

prob the parking lot at hwy 24/24 at the south end of the trail. next chice would be the hwy 109 parking lot where the trail crosses over.

Images

Adding to an old post here. I did an overnight trip in Uwharrie recently and parked at the NC 109 trailhead. I had no issues. However .... there were two different colors of shattered auto glass in the parking area, an indication of multiple break ins at some point.

I've recreated quite a bit in Uwharrie using the Eldorado Outpost to leave my vehicle. Great people. Lots of parking a fully stocked country store

I thru hiked it in one day the first weekend in February when they had a big trail run race. I parked my car at eh HWY 24 lot and my husband drove me around the north end. I was speaking with one of the race workers at the north end. He brought up that they have a lot of problems with car break ins. The race advises runners not to leave anything in their car and gives out dash signs saying there is nothing of value in the car. I had previously parked overnight at the HWY 24 lot without issue. I would say that might be the best choice since there is more traffic but who knows.

My scout troop backpacks at Uwharrie at least once a year, more if we are training for Philmont. We usually arrive in the dark on Friday evening and leave by 11 am on Sunday morning. For the last 15 years we have been parking at the Hwy. 24/27 parking area and have experienced no safety issues. We usually have multiple cars and on occasion our scout trailer. However, parking can be a challenge on busy weekends.

++ New Posts ++