WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

1,000+ miles Springer - Harpers Ferry (from HF, I'll walk to D.C. via the C&O canal).

1,000+ miles from Springer to Harper's Ferry, from HF I'll walk to D.C. via the C&O canal.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Awesome, see there are some real hikers on WB, my faith is being restored!
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

I'd say 3-4 thousand. Actually on the way out to do a few of those now.

About 2200 miles

You could also add, How Many Bag Nights For The Year? Mileage could be misleading as many dayhikers put in the miles but don't spend a night outside. I'd say figuring out our bag nights(sleeping outdoors in a tent/bivy/tarp/hammock), is to me a more important number.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    You could also add, How Many Bag Nights For The Year? Mileage could be misleading as many dayhikers put in the miles but don't spend a night outside. I'd say figuring out our bag nights(sleeping outdoors in a tent/bivy/tarp/hammock), is to me a more important number.
    Yeah, I thought about asking how many nights out on a trail, but it's easier for people to figure out their miles then their nights out, might be a good poll though.
    Walking Dead Bear

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

I'll answer both Almost There and Tipi Walter:

At least 200 (planned now) plus as many more as I can grab time for. Nights on the trail should be at least 14, though again that may well go up.

Many of us section hikers get slapped with the "cyber-hiker" label, mostly because we're likely to be working stiffs or have other constraints that mean we can't just take off and thru-hike no matter how much we might want to. Responsibilities and limitations aren't fun, but they are the stuff most people's lives are composed of, so be fair to those of us who can't do what we'd like and instead do what we can.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

By the way, I do not count day hikes for my section hiking mileage total. I don't have anything against those who do or consider them "lesser" miles, but to feel that I've done the trail as I want to, I need to be out overnight at least for it to count. That's a purely personal restriction, but I think you'll find a lot of section hikers agree with it.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Quote Originally Posted by Strategic View Post
    By the way, I do not count day hikes for my section hiking mileage total. I don't have anything against those who do or consider them "lesser" miles, but to feel that I've done the trail as I want to, I need to be out overnight at least for it to count. That's a purely personal restriction, but I think you'll find a lot of section hikers agree with it.
    Yeah, otherwise we could count walking from our cars to the shopping mall. Maybe.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Strategic View Post
    I'll answer both Almost There and Tipi Walter:

At least 200 (planned now) plus as many more as I can grab time for. Nights on the trail should be at least 14, though again that may well go up.

Many of us section hikers get slapped with the "cyber-hiker" label, mostly because we're likely to be working stiffs or have other constraints that mean we can't just take off and thru-hike no matter how much we might want to. Responsibilities and limitations aren't fun, but they are the stuff most people's lives are composed of, so be fair to those of us who can't do what we'd like and instead do what we can.
    There are many more section hikers than thru hikers so I wouldn't begin to call us sectioners, "Cyber-Hikers". To me a Cyber hiker is akin to a pack sniffer. Someone who holds onto past accomplishments and proceeds to tell others what they should do, rather than going out and doing. Or someone who never gets out and really hits the trail, but yet is constantly posting on WB about hiking topics. If you are getting out for 100+ miles a year, have a job, family, etc. Then I would not lable you a cyber hiker as you get out as much as you can...there is an effort to get out and hike, life committments have simply put constraints on your ability to get out more at the moment.
    Walking Dead Bear

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

The current plan for the section-hiking Dinos is to:

• Finish off GA (about 25 miles) - this week if possible (want to avoid the T-storms on Tuesday and have a great-grandson's baby shower on Friday night.....)
    • Do some of the trail between Hot Springs and Davenport Gap (maybe on to Erwin and Damascus, but I doubt it - we have two great-grand-dinos on the way and two granddino weddings - two granddinos graduating from high school and the youngest hatchling (a junior in college) going to Scotland this year.
    • Do some of the trail in SNP with she-dino's father - this won't be big miles, but that isn't the purpose of this particular trip.
    • Possible do some of the trail in Maryland (while visiting the he-dino's brother)
    • Do some of the NC AT from Yellow creek Gap SOBO toward the GA border (we did yellow Creek to Fontana Dam
    • She-Dino's brother wants to do some of the John Muir trail in late April.... she-dino will hang back with papaw-dino while the younger dinos go forth.

We are waiting to see what the ATC does about Sgt Rock's use of the BMT before doing any of the AT thru the GSMNP. She-Dino has hiked this before - he-dino hasn't. Both Dinos hate shelters and would like to avoid staying in them at all if possible - something using the BMT would make legally possible.

One thing age has taught the Dinos is to be flexible and unlike our extinct namesakes, to adapt well to change.

Images

I would love to be able to finish this year - I've only got under 360 miles to finish the AT (from the South Twin mountains in the Whites to Mt. Kathadin). In addition to some weekend hikes I'll end up doing about 400 to 500 miles.
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    The current plan for the section-hiking Dinos is to:
    • Finish off GA (about 25 miles) - this week if possible (want to avoid the T-storms on Tuesday and have a great-grandson's baby shower on Friday night.....)
    • Do some of the trail between Hot Springs and Davenport Gap (maybe on to Erwin and Damascus, but I doubt it - we have two great-grand-dinos on the way and two granddino weddings - two granddinos graduating from high school and the youngest hatchling (a junior in college) going to Scotland this year.
    • Do some of the trail in SNP with she-dino's father - this won't be big miles, but that isn't the purpose of this particular trip.
    • Possible do some of the trail in Maryland (while visiting the he-dino's brother)
    • Do some of the NC AT from Yellow creek Gap SOBO toward the GA border (we did yellow Creek to Fontana Dam
    • She-Dino's brother wants to do some of the John Muir trail in late April.... she-dino will hang back with papaw-dino while the younger dinos go forth.
    We are waiting to see what the ATC does about Sgt Rock's use of the BMT before doing any of the AT thru the GSMNP. She-Dino has hiked this before - he-dino hasn't. Both Dinos hate shelters and would like to avoid staying in them at all if possible - something using the BMT would make legally possible.

One thing age has taught the Dinos is to be flexible and unlike our extinct namesakes, to adapt well to change.
    Sounds like you have a full year .
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Images

Hopefully I'l be able to continue my trend of 85 to 95 nights a year.
    Work stinks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Almost There View Post
    Awesome, see there are some real hikers on WB, my faith is being restored!
    You're funny.

Again, as you said, a carryover from the "pack sniffer" thread. I think I'll just limit my answer to "more miles than you, little cyber buddy." Was that mean? Probably. Did you walk right into it? Definitely.
    Just hike.

i've got more miles by accident than you'll ever have on purpose

Quote Originally Posted by Almost There View Post
    There are many more section hikers than thru hikers
    Citations?

Images

thru-hiking so only time will tell.

hitch, good luck with finishing your hike!
    He who dies with the most toys, still dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Citations?
    not anytime recent. i'm a damn good driver

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++