WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Miss Janet's

Former Admin

Default Miss Janet's

Comments, experiences, opinions, good or bad related to Miss Janets.

Images

Admin: You may regret having a thread regarding the pros/cons of specific hostels; especially the ones in Erwin. I stuck up for Uncle Johnny on another site and got nailed to the wall! There are some real problems in Erwin which is too bad since both Janet and Johnny are great people in my book. I will, however, state that it would be impossible to find anyone that would say anything bad about Kincora. Bob and Pat are the benchmarks for those that bend over backwards to help hikers.

Images

Hello Lugnut. Where can I read other peoples bad experiences at Uncle Johnnies? I myself had a minor problem with my stop there and was wondering if it was similar to other hikers stays there.

Images

Lugnut:

Hostels tend to bring out some strong opinions, regardless of where we're talking about; I've seen bad ones about The Blueberry Patch, Kincora, Laurel Creek, even The Place in Damascus, and others, as well as many praising them. I don't think there should be ANY hesitation about both praises and criticisms about hostels (or other trail businesses), for two reasons: One, without feedback, the establishments may not know that some of the trail community has a problem with how they operate, and while they may not be terribly happy about hearing it sometimes - and may even disagree - in reality we're doing them a favor, so that they can take a look in the mirror and decide if they want to make changes or not. The other reason is fair warning to the hiker community of whether a place merits staying at or not; most hikers, and ALL thruhikers, have limited budgets, and information in advance from different viewpoints can help avoid problems.

As for getting pounded, this Forum - I speak for ALL the Moderators here - is emphatic that opinions, however strong, are welcome, as long as they do not get malicious, nasty, or personal. If you have an opinion, and can state it in a fair manner, it's not going to get thumped on here. It better not.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

When there is a "bad" experience at a hostel or otherwhere, and I look a little deeper into it, I have discovered that there is usually two sides to every story. Frequently, I have found that when a hiker has a bad experience at a particular hostel, then proably he started it by doing something that was not acceptable to the hostel owner. And, as I found out, the owner usually had a good point.

It takes two to tangle.

Images

I agree that a lot of problems are relational, i.e. not everything is black and white. But there ARE problems with some hostels, or at least "issues" that people need to know about: I didn't realize until after staying there that Laurel Creek Hostel had - accidentally, they frantically insist, without knowing that was who the group was going to be, since the reservation was made in another name - "hosted" the Ku Klux Klan in their conference center in 1999. Still, that bothered a lot of people. It doesn't even have to be a "bad" thing in some absolute sense; some people are put off by even the unspoken Christianity of the Blueberry Patch (the only way you can tell is there there are a few tracts in a basket on the table), or the constant 'inspections' by Church staff at The Place in Damascus.

We're never going to get both sides of a story in a lot of cases here, but it's still worth while getting someone's viewpoint. I don't think anyone should be inhibited from expressing it, as long as it's done in a reasonable and fair manner. Jensine's story about the bad shuttle situation they just had is a good example. Although I'm sure there is another side to it, she has every right to post her 'take' on what occurred.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Just so there is no dispute or misunderstanding over this point, because the facts speak for themselves, let it be stated plainly: Miss Janet's House was the OVERWHELMING favorite place to stay in Erwin for the Class of 2002, who essentially deserted the long-established hostel already in business. Janet is about the kindest person you'll meet on your trip, she's interested in your journey, and not in your bank balance, and you're welcome and treated with respect and courtesy in her home REGARDLESS of where you've decided to lodge in town. She repeatedly performs favors and services that others would demand payment for, including untold favors for non-guests; her overwhelming interest is in providing a fun, happy, well-run, eminently hiker-friendly place where YOU come first; she could care less if you've opted to spend time and money elsewhere, and she doesn't spend half her day trying to make her competitors' lives miserable by interfering with their businesses, or lying to hikers or town officials about her competitor's facilities or operations. In short, this is THE place to stay in Erwin, it's become something of a legendary place in just over a year, and in a remarkably short period of time has become one of the best-spoken of, and most popular hostels on the Trail. Class of 2003, take note, and tell Janet I sent you!

Images

Miss Janet was just amazing. She is probally THE spot to stay on the AT, i doubt anyone running any sort of hostel on the AT even comes close to caring for the hikers as much as Miss Janet does. Every hiker must at least visit Miss J and thank her. SHe's a great woman.
    Happy Trails
    THE Mule

Default hey hey, miss J

Trail culture is.

explaining the difference in Uncle Johny and Miss Janets is like explaining the difference in coke and pepsi. It's very discrete.

1. Miss Janet. Miss janet is all about the Trail. She attends trail days, this is important in the hiker community because it shows her desire to be associated and accepted. She calls, emails, and personally talks with people associated with the trail community. this helps everyone learn about what is happening on the trail, who is on the trail, and what hikers might expect on their journey. it is hard to relay how much deeper your connection with the hiker community might become by staying at Miss Janets, but it might! On any given day during the season you might just meet hikers of ancient lore not because they are hiking thru, but because they wanted to stop by Miss Janets, again.

2. Location/Access. Johnys is located right on the trail, but after this fortune you are at the mercy of Johny(to drive you somewhere) or a long walk. On the other hand Miss Janets is about as good a location as you could ask for. Erwin is a small one light town(4 or 5 really, but any one of them could be replaced with a stop sign) this is important because as your stay passes you will constantly be remembering things you have to take care of. At Miss Janets you can take care of about anything in a jiff.

3. Food. As afore mentioned, at Miss Janets, you are located a block from about 10 different places to eat. A grocery store is located about 5 blocks away. kitchen is open all the time. the outdoor grill might be blazing away on any given night. ect, ect, ect.

at Johnnys you have to give johnny your fuel by 9pm. lol. what the hell is that all about! Anyway, you have your choice: what's in your food bag, the tid-bits of overpriced food UJ has, or the time and place UJ takes his group of unfortunates.

i could go on but i think enought has been said about the differences.

WHAT'S the SAME!

well, both will greet you with smiles.
    both cost about the same to stay overnight.
    food cost is the same no matter how you slice it.
    they both have about the same capacity.
    ect.

so on the outside all IS the same!

MAGIC GA>ME03

ps. hike your own hike.
    pps. Miss Janets rules.

GA->Port Clinton, PA '04 eldwayno's Avatar

Default How Far?

About how far off the trail is Miss Janet's... I hadn't heard of this hostel until recently... definately sounds like one I'll be hitting this year

Default Miss Janet's House

The AT runs east of Erwin; Miss Janet's House is in town -- 2-3 miles west of the AT -- an easy hitch. She treats section hikers with respect also. I was there in 2002 as a "thru" hiker, and 2003 as a "section" hiker, and the quality of care was the same: Great!

Images

last year a police patrol car gave me a lift to miss J's Hitch hiking is technicaly illegal there so the officer said. All you need to do is ask who ever you get a ride from to take you to miss Janets if they dont know where that is just ask them to take you to the post office its a block or two from miss janets house, and there are bound to be hikers somewhere there.

dont forget to get a borito!
    Happy Trails
    THE Mule

Images

I always try to avoid such controversy so I am only going to tell about my experience in Erwin during my 2002 hike. I arrived in Erwin early in the morning. The first thing you see coming off the trail is Uncle J's with its big bright soda machine oasis. I walked over and there was a lone hiker eating at one of the tables. The rest of the place seemed deserted. I headed into town with little luck hitching a ride so I walked about half and got a ride the other half. As I entered Miss Janet's there was a lot of activity. Hikers on the computer, others cleaning dishes, backpacks and hikers all over the place. Breakfast was finished but Miss J offered me some anyway. I was directed to select a bunk and shown where there were some clean loaner clothes and a towel. I was told that if I hurried with my chores (Post Office, resupply etc.) Miss J was taking those interested to a ramp festival in Flag Pond. Never been to one of those (and ramps = food) so I went and had a blast. After that about 15 or 20 of us (including those who were not staying at Miss J's) loaded into her van, picked up KFC and a ton of snacks, and headed to a Blue Grass concert. We spread out the biggest blanket I've ever seen and listened and danced and had one of the more memorable nights of my trip. Next day Miss J drove me to an outfitter to get a replacement hip belt buckle to replace the one I broke shortly past Hot Springs. She took me out of the way to Mahoney's because "they have a better selection and prices" than some of the closer establishments. She was right. As she was driving me back to the trail I noticed the driver of a vehicle heading toward us "flipping us the bird". To my quizzical look Miss J only replied "Don't worry, that's only Uncle Johnny. He's a little childish".
    This is already a little long but I still want to mention about the cooler of cold beverage complements of Miss J at Sam's Gap. Invitation to Easter Dinner (with about 30 hikers present - fantastic) and I can go on and on.
    She is someone you will make a point to visit after your hike is over.

Anyone reading LWOP's great description of his stay at Miss Janet's might have left some folks thinking "Wow, what great timing...he really lucked out and arrived on the right day!" WRONG! What he experienced is typical of a stay at Miss Janet's, which is one of the greatest places on the Trail. Unless you aren't planning on over-nighting in Erwin, or unless you have a compelling reason to stay in a motel, you'd be crazy not to stay at Janet's place. There's a very good reason that Miss Janet is one of the most popular people on the entire A.T., and if you go by her place in Erwin, you'll find out why.

Please forgive me if I've put his in the wrong place, but I have question concerning hostels.
    I'm totally unfamilair with hostels. Can you describe what would be typical services at each? I understand from reading many of the posts in this section that there are differences, but I'm sure there's some standardization. Bunkbeds in large rooms (like old army barracks), small rooms with bunkbeds? Other services?
    "Just trying to keep life simple."

Quote Originally Posted by Chappy
    Please forgive me if I've put his in the wrong place, but I have question concerning hostels.
    I'm totally unfamilair with hostels. Can you describe what would be typical services at each? I understand from reading many of the posts in this section that there are differences, but I'm sure there's some standardization. Bunkbeds in large rooms (like old army barracks), small rooms with bunkbeds? Other services?
    There is a tremedous variety in accomodations. Generally speaking, some bunkrooms are small, and others large. Consider the difference in facilities. Some are in a church basement, some are in an old mansion type building (Like the Ironmaster's and Bear's Den Rocks), some are in a barn or converted garage, some are in private houses.

Most have a mattress, some have just a hard surface (The Place).

Most have kitchen facilities (stove, sink, refrigerator), but Walasi-Y doesn't.

most have indoor plumbing, but not at Woods Hole.

most have hot water, but it's solar heated at Woods Hole and Blackburn.

Some have a washer-dryer, other's don't .

Someone asked where Miss Janet's is..... it's actually in the center of Erwin, just off of Main St. (if you're on Main St., it's one block over, directly behind the Sonic restaurant).

For more details, check www.geocities.com/missjanetshouse or call her at 423-743-1932

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    Class of 2003, take note, and tell Janet I sent you!
    I get to meet her next weekend at the SORUCK. Even though I don't plan on spending many town nights (I know, things change), I plan on spending one in Erwin, just so I can stay at her hostel.

Frank

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default Miss Janet's

Miss Janet ROCKS and her place in Irwin is right up there at the top in terms of places for hikers to stay. Period, paragraph ...end of subject.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default hostels & such, etc.,etc

i hope to experience, first hand, the kindness of Miss Janet's place in 2004!

Look out Erwin,TN...here comes [SIZE=4]da Jaybird![/SIZE]
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++