WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hiking for Health

Are any of you folks planning to hike for health reasons?

That's why I did my thru-hike in 2006. I was in pretty good shape from cycling and weight-lifting, but I was overweight and had poor cholesterol level, blood pressure and heartrate... I got this way because I was bored with the normal exercise, (my body was bored of cycling/weightlifting w/o anything else) and I ate a ton of food, not healthy kind.

I've been able to keep the weight off (most of it) and still have good overall health, haven't had a cholestoral check since TD 2007, but I reguarly check my heart-rate which at it's lowest is between 45-50 bpm and bloodpressure is usually 110/60. I'm also more careful of what I eat now, but eating is still my major vice.

One of the reasons I got back into hiking and backpacking was for the health benefits. As I'm getting older, I have to have something to keep me in reasonable condition. I just happen to like being outdoors way more than I do in a gym.

I want to spend as much time as I can out in the real world. It's my refuge from the corporate hustle.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by canerunner View Post
    One of the reasons I got back into hiking and backpacking was for the health benefits. As I'm getting older, I have to have something to keep me in reasonable condition. I just happen to like being outdoors way more than I do in a gym.

I want to spend as much time as I can out in the real world. It's my refuge from the corporate hustle.
    You may find as you get older that rather than doing an activity to stay in shape, you will need to stay in shape to do the activity.
    Frosty

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    You may find as you get older that rather than doing an activity to stay in shape, you will need to stay in shape to do the activity.
    Exactly.

I walk lots 2 months before taking a 6 week hike so for over 3 months I am not a couch potato.
    In summer we kayak lots which helps the mind and the muscles for another 4 months or so.

If you stay walking and breathing you will always be alive.

This is true, it has to be a lifestyle. Working-out to get in shape is fruitless in the long-run.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I walk and/or run 40/70 miles per week and have for years so I can't say that I hike specifically for health reasons although it certain is a nice benefit.

What I like most about hiking is being outdoors, the solitude and the physical and mental challenges - there's just something about relaxing into a stressful situation in order to get through it that makes me feel good upstairs.

I have never, and have no plans to ever walk on a treadmill or join a gym.

Tb

Whenever I hike I'm always aware that what I am involved in is not only good for my spirit but good for my body as well. It's much more than exercise. It's life therapy.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

"Working-out to get in shape is fruitless in the long-run."

What exactly do you mean by this? People get in shape by not working out? Or, people shouldn't bother getting in shape, or that getting in shape is fruitless? Why, exactly?

I just don't understand this statement...........

Jane in CT

Images

"Working-out to get in shape is fruitless in the long-run."

What exactly do you mean by this? People get in shape by not working out? Or, people shouldn't bother getting in shape, or that getting in shape is fruitless? Why, exactly?

I just don't understand this statement...........
    Healthy living should be a life style. Its not good to sit around, get over weight, then say, I need to go on a hike to get in shape. Come home sit around get overweight again, take another hike. In other words get in shape, and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Is anybody aware of any surveys that have asked people why they wanted to hike the AT?

Oh, believe me, I have!

Not trying to be overly negative, but it cuts both ways. Hygiene often goes to hell on the trail, and insects (ticks, mosquitoes, bees, chiggers, etc.) take their toll. Not to mention scrapes, sprains and bruises. There have been lots of threads about the haggard look of nobos in Maine...

Images

I do a lot of mountain biking, great workout.... but its more to get the rush from flyn downhill, dropping off rocks, making it up a steep rock climb and its also a rush to push myself as to how long I can ride without feeling worn out at the end of a ride.

Same with kayak'n, 4x4'n the Jeep, dirt biking, hiking, body surfing.... all for the rush. Lets you know your living. The health part is a nice bonus.

Wrongway, when you get about twice as old as you are now, you will find that the order has reversed.

I'm only 32 and I've had a horrible experience after back surgery. The doctors have basically said that I have to live with the pain that was left after surgery (Idiots). The pain is worse than before surgery. A big part of the reason I am doing this is to try to strengthen my back and get off of the meds. The doctors have all said that I can't do anything else to my back by walking or hiking so here we go. I guess that I should mention that my pack is only about 20 lbs and we have done a lot of practice trips. Whether the pain goes away or not. I need to find a different way to live with it. Yes I suppose that you could say that it's health related.

Quote Originally Posted by GGS2 View Post
    Wrongway, when you get about twice as old as you are now, you will find that the order has reversed.

Mental health, absolutely!

All the best to you, Jason. Keep going, and do push through the pain, but don't be hard on yourself. Pain is your ordinary indication of things going wrong, so when that signal is not working right, you can overdo things. You're going to need to find ways to relax, or spasms will just get worse as you get ordinary pains of hiking and getting trail fit. Whatever works for you, but I advise stopping for frequent rest, especially where there's a nice view, a pleasant stream, something to admire and just enjoy. Try not to get caught in plodding mode: set your mind to noticing things around you. When it gets really dreary, wet and horrible, change something. Get your mind off the bad stuff. Taste the rain, make camp, listen to the forest wetness, try to find out where the creatures are hiding, waiting it out. Collect rainwater and make some hot food. Practice fire-making. Just stop hating what is happening to you, open your senses and drink it all in. It is fabulous out there. There's no reason to get caught in a brown funk. Yes, you hurt all over, but that's no reason not to feel good about being alive. Wish I was out there with you.

Jason,

Are you planning your hike for this year?

Wow! Great advice!! Thank you. I plan on it. If there is one thing that this whole thing has taught me it is to find my happy place. We are planning to hike this year. We are also planning to take our time and stop atleast once a week for a zero day. Happy hiking!

Quote Originally Posted by GGS2 View Post
    All the best to you, Jason. Keep going, and do push through the pain, but don't be hard on yourself. Pain is your ordinary indication of things going wrong, so when that signal is not working right, you can overdo things. You're going to need to find ways to relax, or spasms will just get worse as you get ordinary pains of hiking and getting trail fit. Whatever works for you, but I advise stopping for frequent rest, especially where there's a nice view, a pleasant stream, something to admire and just enjoy. Try not to get caught in plodding mode: set your mind to noticing things around you. When it gets really dreary, wet and horrible, change something. Get your mind off the bad stuff. Taste the rain, make camp, listen to the forest wetness, try to find out where the creatures are hiding, waiting it out. Collect rainwater and make some hot food. Practice fire-making. Just stop hating what is happening to you, open your senses and drink it all in. It is fabulous out there. There's no reason to get caught in a brown funk. Yes, you hurt all over, but that's no reason not to feel good about being alive. Wish I was out there with you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++