WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Southern PA Sec. 12-13 Ideas? Questions?

My father and I are considering a section hike in the southern sections of the AT in PA. I am looking for any ideas of good hikes we are looking to go around 30-40 miles with three nights of shelter/tents. I was thinking Caledonia to PA 94. Just looking for some insight, suggestions, and knowledge about the area...anything would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

No trailhead at PA 94 really. Interesting up and down on rocks from there to Boiling Springs but a few more miles. Pretty roads to shuttle on that are just a bit shorter than the trail from Caledonia to B.S.

End hike at PA 34. Nice big parking lot (fairly recent)...surronded by big rocks.

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

Default Depends...

This is an area that I love, though I have yet to do more than dayhike parts of it (but I'm working on it) Caledonia is the best southern starting point, since there's no problems with parking and you can pack in late in the day when you arrive and spend your first night at Quarry Gap shelter (which is quite a place.) From there, it all depends on how long you want to make the hike. Most of this area is good and fairly easy hiking (at least compared to the PA AT north of the Susquehanna) so the 30-40 mile range is probably good for three full hiking days.

If you're being shuttled from the north end, then using the PA 94 trailhead isn't too much of a problem, but there's no way I'd leave a car there overnight (it's really just the road shoulder, so it's good for pick-up but not for real parking.) The lot on PA 34 is certainly large, but unless things have changed it had big "No Parking" signs the last I saw it, so it's a "park at your own risk" kind of place. Maybe someone with more current intelligence on this one can let us know if the signs are still there. Caledonia to PA 34 is about 28 miles, to PA 94 is about 30.

If you're up for the longer mileage then I'd say go on in to Boiling Springs. It's just under 40 miles from Caledonia, but it will get you to a good point and a very easy pick-up or parking spot. There are two parking lots just south of the ATC regional office along the lake, one of which the trail passes through directly. There are also accommodations in town if you don't feel like heading back to the Philly area when you get to the trailhead. It would be my pick for an end point to be sure, but be aware that the hike from PA 94 to Boiling Springs is a bit rougher than the rest of these sections, so that may slow you down a bit.

Hope all this helps. Have a great hike!
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Strategic View Post
    This is an area that I love, though I have yet to do more than dayhike parts of it (but I'm working on it) Caledonia is the best southern starting point, since there's no problems with parking and you can pack in late in the day when you arrive and spend your first night at Quarry Gap shelter (which is quite a place.) From there, it all depends on how long you want to make the hike. Most of this area is good and fairly easy hiking (at least compared to the PA AT north of the Susquehanna) so the 30-40 mile range is probably good for three full hiking days.

If you're being shuttled from the north end, then using the PA 94 trailhead isn't too much of a problem, but there's no way I'd leave a car there overnight (it's really just the road shoulder, so it's good for pick-up but not for real parking.) The lot on PA 34 is certainly large, but unless things have changed it had big "No Parking" signs the last I saw it, so it's a "park at your own risk" kind of place. Maybe someone with more current intelligence on this one can let us know if the signs are still there. Caledonia to PA 34 is about 28 miles, to PA 94 is about 30.

If you're up for the longer mileage then I'd say go on in to Boiling Springs. It's just under 40 miles from Caledonia, but it will get you to a good point and a very easy pick-up or parking spot. There are two parking lots just south of the ATC regional office along the lake, one of which the trail passes through directly. There are also accommodations in town if you don't feel like heading back to the Philly area when you get to the trailhead. It would be my pick for an end point to be sure, but be aware that the hike from PA 94 to Boiling Springs is a bit rougher than the rest of these sections, so that may slow you down a bit.

Hope all this helps. Have a great hike!

Thanks for the Info!!!! Does anyone know if there is shuttle service from Boiling Springs PA to Caledonia??

++ New Posts ++