WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Maps or No maps?

I have maps for the AT and was packing them up for my drops and wondered if I even need them if I am carrying the guide book? I usually just look at the books when i hike anyway and have the map for enjoyment i guess. Should i just leave em behind?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Chaco View Post
    I have maps for the AT and was packing them up for my drops and wondered if I even need them if I am carrying the guide book? I usually just look at the books when i hike anyway and have the map for enjoyment i guess. Should i just leave em behind?
    I strongly urge you to review the ten essentials. SAR guys had a bit of input on that list. Like the Duke said, "Life is hard, it's a lot harder when you're stupid".

Images

I took them because I enjoy looking at maps and studying my route. You don't NEED them though. Plenty of people have hiked without them.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Take the maps.

Images

I enjoy the AT maps. I'd take them.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

The fact that plenty of folks have hiked without them is irrelevant.

Plenty of folks have done a lot of dumb things on the Trail.

Bring the maps. The extra weight is minimal; you'll use them every day of your trip, probably several times a day; and you'll absolutely be glad you have them if you run into some sort of problem.

Funny thing.......the folks that say one doesn't need them on the A.T. are the very same folks who sneak a peek at OTHER people's maps on every occasion they can find. Meaning they might not NEED them, but they sure find it convenient and useful to look at other people's maps.

Merry Hikester

Take them because I don't have any, I can read yours every night.
    Disclaimer: I didn't mean that......I realy love you all.

you're foolish

Images

By the time I got to Front Royal I abandoned all use of maps. I used the data book and companion and made it to maine fine.

i have no car insurance anymore. i never get in wrecks so i don't need it.

Keep in mind that if you take maps you are locked into maildrops, which cramps your style and often corners you into making weird pacing decisions that you otherwise would not make.

Quote Originally Posted by clured View Post
    Keep in mind that if you take maps you are locked into maildrops, which cramps your style and often corners you into making weird pacing decisions that you otherwise would not make.
    BS ......

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up Maps

I started without maps and thought all I would need and use was the Data Book. I started to look at maps that others had and started to purchase them along the way.
    As long as you have them definately bring them. I think having maps helps to make your hike more enjoyable.
    Grampie-N->2001

I think maps slow you down. You are going to have to walk the same way whether you look at a map first or not. So the time you spend getting your map out, reading it, planning for that big hill up ahead (that is there either way), folding it back up and putting it away, you could be hiking. The same people who say maps don't add significant weight to your pack are the same ones who recommend cutting your toothbrush in half to save weight. Seriously??? Half a toothbrush and a pack full of maps? Maps are for the old and the scared.

Ok, Lone Wolf, let'er rip!!!

P.S. - Mind if I look at your map for a minute?

P.S.S. - Why did some dill-weed paint all these white marks on these trees?

P.S.S.S. - Should I take depends undergarments with me? I'm not incontinent now, but by the time I finish this hike I might be (especially if I'm carrying a crap load of maps).

And now a word from our sponser...

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Maps

[QUOTE=Mongbat;559212]I think maps slow you down. You are going to have to walk the same way whether you look at a map first or not. So the time you spend getting your map out, reading it, planning for that big hill up ahead (that is there either way), folding it back up and putting it away, you could be hiking. The same people who say maps don't add significant weight to your pack are the same ones who recommend cutting your toothbrush in half to save weight. Seriously??? Half a toothbrush and a pack full of maps? Maps are for the old and the scared.

If having a map slows you down that much, Wow. When do you even have time to "smell the roses" and enjoy your hike?
    Grampie-N->2001

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Maps

[QUOTE=Mongbat;559212]I think maps slow you down. You are going to have to walk the same way whether you look at a map first or not. So the time you spend getting your map out, reading it, planning for that big hill up ahead (that is there either way), folding it back up and putting it away, you could be hiking. The same people who say maps don't add significant weight to your pack are the same ones who recommend cutting your toothbrush in half to save weight. Seriously??? Half a toothbrush and a pack full of maps? Maps are for the old and the scared.

WOW If looking at a map slows you down that much, when do you have time to "smell the roses"?
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by Mongbat View Post
    I think maps slow you down. You are going to have to walk the same way whether you look at a map first or not. So the time you spend getting your map out, reading it, planning for that big hill up ahead (that is there either way), folding it back up and putting it away, you could be hiking. The same people who say maps don't add significant weight to your pack are the same ones who recommend cutting your toothbrush in half to save weight. Seriously??? Half a toothbrush and a pack full of maps? Maps are for the old and the scared.

Ok, Lone Wolf, let'er rip!!!

P.S. - Mind if I look at your map for a minute?

P.S.S. - Why did some dill-weed paint all these white marks on these trees?

P.S.S.S. - Should I take depends undergarments with me? I'm not incontinent now, but by the time I finish this hike I might be (especially if I'm carrying a crap load of maps).

And now a word from our sponser...
    You are an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    BS ......
    Why? You can't just say that without backing it up.

I'm loving this no-maps rebellion against the armies of rabid risk-aversion!

Quote Originally Posted by clured View Post
    Why? You can't just say that without backing it up.

I'm loving this no-maps rebellion against the armies of rabid risk-aversion!
    You don't know what risk is clueless, I've dove off the ramp of a C-130 at night from 25,000 ft and dodged IED's in Iraq. I did those things 'cause they needed doing at the time. You don't need to save an ounce by not carrying a map, it's just plain stupid and so are you if you think so.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++