WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Where's Kirby?

Images

Default Where's Kirby?

Sorry......it's the mom in me. I see a huge rain storm headed for the AT again and was wondering if anyone's seen/heard from Kirby since he was headed for Woods Hole??
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

Probably hiding from the motherly advice.

Young, from NE. I bet he tries to go find some weather, just to say he did.

Plus he's male. I've been told that males, at times, lose about 80 IQ points.

On his way north

Kirby has a good head on his shoulders, reminds me of my oldest son. I hope he's out there enjoying his hike to it's fullest and staying away from the internet as much as possible (like SGT Rock has been doing). I'm sure he's just fine, he doesn't strike me as the type to take unnecessary risks that could screw up his dream of completing his Thru. Just my opinion.

Images

Ah, I knew it was just a matter of time until a "Where is Kirby" thread was started.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Ah, I knew it was just a matter of time until a "Where is Kirby" thread was started.
    Well excuuuuuuuuuse me for caring! Gees, ask a simple question........

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

If I'm not mistaken, I thought I saw him sign-in at the register a couple of days ago at Neels Gap. MrsBaggins, that's about three and a half miles past Woods Hole Shelter. I would assume he's in/near Hiawassee by now. Check with Cloud9 Hostel(706-896-8959) or the Blueberry Patch(706-896-4893).

Do you have a guide/Data book?

Don't worry, he wants to grow up, have a lotta fun, and be with his hiking buddies.

Maybe he found a girlfriend already!

SD

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    Well excuuuuuuuuuse me for caring! Gees, ask a simple question........
    Hah, no, i'm not being negative here. I am actually curious how he is doing also.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Survivor Dave View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, I thought I saw him sign-in at the register a couple of days ago at Neels Gap. MrsBaggins, that's about three and a half miles past Woods Hole Shelter. I would assume he's in/near Hiawassee by now. Check with Cloud9 Hostel(706-896-8959) or the Blueberry Patch(706-896-4893).

Do you have a guide/Data book?

Don't worry, he wants to grow up, have a lotta fun, and be with his hiking buddies.

Maybe he found a girlfriend already!

SD
    Oh my I don't want to call and track him! I was just curious and am following his travels because we had communicated a few times about maps. I didn't know how young he was and with kids of my own (26 and 21 now) I know I'd have felt some comfort in knowing the hiking community was watching over them when they were teens.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    Oh my I don't want to call and track him! I was just curious and am following his travels because we had communicated a few times about maps. I didn't know how young he was and with kids of my own (26 and 21 now) I know I'd have felt some comfort in knowing the hiking community was watching over them when they were teens.
    Kirby will be just fine. He has his "group" he is hiking with to keep him from overextending himself.

(waiting to see how long this "group" remains intact}

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs View Post
    Kirby will be just fine. He has his "group" he is hiking with to keep him from overextending himself.

(waiting to see how long this "group" remains intact}
    Yeah, it looks like they might have a whiner amongst them. He'll do fine. I feel the mom in me when we correspond too, Mrs. Baggins. It's not just you. I hope all of our thoughts and the trail community will keep him safe.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    Yeah, it looks like they might have a whiner amongst them.
    No, he has an official group he's hiking with, signed up, paid, went to the trail together, it was one of his father's conditions, he is in high school. He has a trail journal, but last entry was four days ago. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=217504

I think the thread is a great idea, Mrs. Baggins. Many of us have become fond of Kirby and his adventure over the last year's planning. He should be in the Blueberry Patch territory this weekend, my best guess.
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Default Blue Mt Shelter

He just called me from Blue Mt Shelter ~ noon EST, asking for a weather update. I looked up Helen GA and gave him a forecast for the next 2 days. He sounds very well. He's going to be fine. I've been helping him prepare for his hike for over a year now since he lives here in Portland.

I'll be in pretty close touch with Kirby if anyone wants to find out along the way how or where he is.

BB

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebearee View Post
    He just called me from Blue Mt Shelter ~ noon EST, asking for a weather update. I looked up Helen GA and gave him a forecast for the next 2 days. He sounds very well. He's going to be fine. I've been helping him prepare for his hike for over a year now since he lives here in Portland.

I'll be in pretty close touch with Kirby if anyone wants to find out along the way how or where he is.

BB
    So, Bluebearee, does this mean that you will contact me when you think it's time for me to deliver some homemade chocolate chip bars (or the equivalent)? "Where's Kirby?" the call was heard thru-out the Southland . . . . " "Somewhere, elsewhere. nowhere, otherwhere," replied a male chorus from a different hiking site, but I digress.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    "Where's Kirby?" the call was heard thru-out the Southland . . . .
    Actually, it's a mountain up in Maine. I wonder if there's a connection? Did Kirby's family have anything to do with that mountain, or the area? Come to think of it, the mountain was probably named for some famous son. The only Kirby I can find is one Major R. M. Kirby who was commander of the American force in place during the Aroostook War, Ante Bellum dispute with New Brunswick and Quebec (Lower Canada) that fixed the border in that region.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Evening everyone. I am currently in Hiawasse, I hitched here with three other hikers from Unicoi Gap. We split a room at the Holiday Inn Express, I ended up paying ten bucks for my share of the room. Tomorrow I will take a zero here in town, and Sunday I will slackpack from Unicoi to Dicks Creek Gap. Tomorrow night and sunday will be at the Blueberry Patch, I am going to give five dollars a night and do housework when ever they need an extra hand. I will then hike out Monday or Tuesday, most likely Monday. I will try to be in Franklin in 3-5 days.

My group is somewhere behind me, I really enjoy Windjammer and Bearpaw's company, Por Boy is quite annoying. All of my journal entries up to yesterday are up, and Todays's will be up later this evening.

My next planned zero will be in Hot Springs, NC.

My trail name is Kirby by the way, I know there were some questions about that.

Kirby

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

::: Dino overjoyed to see adopted grandson posting :::

Kirby,
    is the pocket mail working for you?

geek

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    Kirby,
    is the pocket mail working for you?

geek
    I decided not to use the pocketmail, I shall seek a 2009 AT Thru Hiker through Whiteblaze to pass it along to.

I just added today's journal entry.

Kirby

Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++