WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation 60 hikers away from graduation

Good morning everyone! I am reposting this thread as a last reminder to Whiteblaze members who may want to help a fellow AT enthusiast graduate. I have also asked several of the participating clubs to send out last reminders to their memberships. I need your help; I need 60 more hikers to take the survey I created in order to reach the response rate needed. As of this morning, 320 AT hikers had taken the survey; however, for generalizability, 380 hiker responses are needed. I was hoping to have 380 surveys this week so I may present this April (and graduate in May)!!! I would really like to be on the trail for a good chunk of this summer instead of in school, so if you have not yet taken the survey I would really, really appreciate ten minutes of your time!!! Plus, the information you provide I hope will be very useful to participating trail maintaining clubs and the ATC; both of which are expecting the results. I will also post the result on Whiteblaze (in case any of you are curious). Information about the survey and the survey link are below. For those of you who have already taken the survey, thanks again.

SURVEY INTRODUCTION (Previously Posted)
    Good day. My name is Barbara Freidt; I am currently working on my thesis at Old Dominion University. Because I am very passionate about both hiking and the AT, I decided to research the user motivations, benefits, and trail preferences of day, overnight, section, thru and multi-use hikers in order to gather information useful to AT maintaining clubs and the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC). Currently, little academic research on these topics exists. Ten trail clubs have already participated in the study and five more have agreed to do so at a later date. I am posting the link to the survey on whiteblaze because I would like to ensure that both the voices of hikers who are not trail club members and the voices of thru-hikers are represented in the results of the study. Information gathered will be shared with AT maintaining clubs and the ATC with the hope that it will be useful in both better understanding current AT users as well as in acquiring funding for continued maintenance of the AT footpath and preservation and protection of its surrounding corridor lands. The survey only takes about 10-15 minutes and requires no contact information. If you would be interested in participating in this study, please click on the link. The link for the survey is: https://periwinkle.ts.odu.edu/surveys/PWXZAR/
    Every trip keeps me grounded. ~FallGirl

Default Done

Done

Just floating your thread back to the top.

Cheers

Done
    2005 "No Legs" Springer to Clingman's
    2007 SloFar/DrClaw - GA-NJ

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Have you thought of posting your link on other AT sites (e.g. AT-L, Trailforums?)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I'll post it over at HikingHQ too.

Backing Back into Backpacking
    Images

done as well
    The key to success in achieving a goal is focusing not on how far you have to go, but rather how far you have come.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Phil 4:13

Default done

Done...

Images

You only want to hear from thru-hikers, correct?
    Jane

Backing Back into Backpacking
    Images

The survey ask for all types, day, overnighter, section, thrus
    The key to success in achieving a goal is focusing not on how far you have to go, but rather how far you have come.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Phil 4:13

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FallGirl View Post
    Good morning everyone! I am reposting this thread as a last reminder to Whiteblaze members who may want to help a fellow AT enthusiast graduate. I have also asked several of the participating clubs to send out last reminders to their memberships. I need your help; I need 60 more hikers to take the survey I created in order to reach the response rate needed. As of this morning, 320 AT hikers had taken the survey; however, for generalizability, 380 hiker responses are needed. I was hoping to have 380 surveys this week so I may present this April (and graduate in May)!!! I would really like to be on the trail for a good chunk of this summer instead of in school, so if you have not yet taken the survey I would really, really appreciate ten minutes of your time!!! Plus, the information you provide I hope will be very useful to participating trail maintaining clubs and the ATC; both of which are expecting the results. I will also post the result on Whiteblaze (in case any of you are curious). Information about the survey and the survey link are below. For those of you who have already taken the survey, thanks again.

SURVEY INTRODUCTION (Previously Posted)
    Good day. My name is Barbara Freidt; I am currently working on my thesis at Old Dominion University. Because I am very passionate about both hiking and the AT, I decided to research the user motivations, benefits, and trail preferences of day, overnight, section, thru and multi-use hikers in order to gather information useful to AT maintaining clubs and the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC). Currently, little academic research on these topics exists. Ten trail clubs have already participated in the study and five more have agreed to do so at a later date. I am posting the link to the survey on whiteblaze because I would like to ensure that both the voices of hikers who are not trail club members and the voices of thru-hikers are represented in the results of the study. Information gathered will be shared with AT maintaining clubs and the ATC with the hope that it will be useful in both better understanding current AT users as well as in acquiring funding for continued maintenance of the AT footpath and preservation and protection of its surrounding corridor lands. The survey only takes about 10-15 minutes and requires no contact information. If you would be interested in participating in this study, please click on the link. The link for the survey is: https://periwinkle.ts.odu.edu/surveys/PWXZAR/
    This is an excellent survey. White Blaze members conducting polls especially should participate. It will provide ideas about how to post a good poll.

Weary

Images

Hello Fall Girl,
    I sent your post with link to a couple of other family members, so hopefully you'll get a couple of more hits. So, I guess this is how you are spending break. Good luck on getting your "60".

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Default done

Did it. Great survey!

Default Answers to all your questions...right here in this one little thread

Quote Originally Posted by Velcro View Post
    Done

Just floating your thread back to the top.
    Cheers
    You have no idea how hard this made me laugh. Seriously funny. And, seriously awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
    The survey ask for all types, day, overnighter, section, thrus
    Thanks for fielding the questions...I was out trying to convince myself I'm ready for my first marathon--this Sunday. .

Quote Originally Posted by Furlough View Post
    Hello Fall Girl,
    I sent your post with link to a couple of other family members, so hopefully you'll get a couple of more hits. So, I guess this is how you are spending break. Good luck on getting your "60".

Furlough
    First, thank you soooo much. And, yes, it is spring break!!! And, yes, it is ALL thesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Have you thought of posting your link on other AT sites (e.g. AT-L, Trailforums?)
    I greatly appreciate the suggestions. The process for this is a little lengthy (I have to get approval from my thesis committee chair, approval from the organization/website leader prior to "publishing" information about the survey, plus some additionally information about each site). As this is the end of my data collection period, it may be a little too late for that. However, assuming the survey has 380 respondents this week, my thesis chair and I had discussed leaving the link up for awhile longer and running a second analysis of the data post graduation . This would enable me to gather information for publication; a publication would be great for me professionally. If the link is left up for longer, I will pursue "publishing" on all of the sites suggested. I really appreciate the suggestions. Additionally, another graduate student is considering duplicating this study for the PCT hiking population. If he follows through with this, I will be sure that he has these suggestions from the beginning.
    Thank you all again for making the time to help out; I really appreciate it!

Images

Can we get a count down on the numbers needed?
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Default The Final Countdown!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    Can we get a count down on the numbers needed?
    I am dying to monitor the countdown too!!! If I had access, I would be glued to my computer. Unfortunately, I do not have the ability to monitor the survey responses. Otherwise, I would be glad to give you the play by play (I do a great Madden impersonation).

I'll do my best to provide, though. I will request another update from Dr. Branch first thing tomorrow; he has been great about my insatiable curiosity so far. I promise I'll let you all know something as soon as I do. Thanks again.

Just took the survey!

Images

It would be great if you'd post the results.

Some of the questions you ask have been asked here in threads and polls.

Done, bouncing to the top

rockjock

Images

One more completed!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++